• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leopold Konig discussion thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Kokoso said:
Now I don't know if you read the question or what question you've answered, because clearly you haven't answered my question. Haven't you post to the wrong thread?
Fair point, I may have answered a different question. Konig is a very good GC rider, but he's clearly not right for Sky (which is no bad thing imo - better to be an individual than a bot). Thomas, Henao and even Landa seem happy to sacrifice or limit their personal ambitions - I guess money talks in that respect.
Still you haven't manage to answer that question :D How are you doing that?
also one where he won't get ill all the time because they're riding him into the ground.
What are you talking about??? :confused:

Just tell me - are you trolling or not?

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
konig can strengthen the Lotto NL train for Kruijswijk :p
Yeah, given his Vuelta luck it looks König may have some Holland ancestory :D

Anyway I don't see why. You can the same other way round - Kruijswijk part of train for König wherever.

Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Kokoso said:
Now I don't know if you read the question or what question you've answered, because clearly you haven't answered my question. Haven't you post to the wrong thread?
Fair point, I may have answered a different question. Konig is a very good GC rider, but he's clearly not right for Sky (which is no bad thing imo - better to be an individual than a bot). Thomas, Henao and even Landa seem happy to sacrifice or limit their personal ambitions - I guess money talks in that respect.
also one where he won't get ill all the time because they're riding him into the ground.

I'm not answering your question, because it's a ridiculous black or white position to take. The reality is more nuanced - different riders are better for different situations.

Too much nationalism and patriotism destroying the debate in this thread.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Kokoso said:

I'm not answering your question, because it's a ridiculous black or white position to take. The reality is more nuanced - different riders are better for different situations.

As ridiculous ad it sounds to you it's perfectly legitimate question. To decide which rider is better as GT leader in one's opinion - what's ridiculous about that? It's hypotetical question - since when it's ridiculous to ask hypotetical questions? Have you ever asked hypotetical question? To answer that question that doesn't mean you are omitting factors you are stressings.

I really hate when one begins to pull of nationalism and patriotism as soon as he doesn't like direction debate is going. That really is debate killing.

You've avoided answer the other question, too. Why? :confused: The guy was injured just ONCE and and you are talking about team riding him to the ground :confused:

Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Kokoso said:

As ridiculous ad it sounds to you it's perfectly legitimate question. To decide which rider is better as GT leader in one's opinion - what's ridiculous about that? It's hypotetical question - since when it's ridiculous to ask hypotetical questions? Have you ever asked hypotetical question? To answer that question that doesn't mean you are omitting factors you are stressings.

I really hate when one begins to pull of nationalism and patriotism as soon as he doesn't like direction debate is going. That really is debate killing.

You've avoided answer the other question, too. Why? :confused: The guy was injured just ONCE and and you are talking about team riding him to the ground :confused:
The fact is we can't know the answer to that question. Konig has better results, but he was riding for himself as leader, and got results against relatively weak fields. Thomas, Henao and Kennaugh have never ridden for GC in a GT, and Nieve kind of did in the Vuelta last year and finished 8th - but probably would have done better if he was designated leader from the start. I'd guess that Nieve, Thomas and Henao could all easily ride top 10 in any GT if they were leader.

What we do know is that Konig is by far the worst domestique out of all of those riders. In his one GT this season, he has been absolutely no help to Froome and is an hour down on GC. It's no suprirse Sky are getting rid of him.

Had to laugh at Konig's interview today on ES...Asked if he rode full gas on TT instead of conserving energy for tomorrow he said he wanted to honour the national jersey ? but the funniest was that he only talked about how Quintana would go and how he hoped Quintana wouldn;t crash ? Swear he was riding for Quintana the levle of his concern and interest in him

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Had to laugh at Konig's interview today on ES...Asked if he rode full gas on TT instead of conserving energy for tomorrow he said he wanted to honour the national jersey ? but the funniest was that he only talked about how Quintana would go and how he hoped Quintana wouldn;t crash ? Swear he was riding for Quintana the levle of his concern and interest in him
I don't know what riders are thinking when they make their feuds public like this. Same with Kreuziger about Contador. All it does is reflect badly on them - makes them look unprofessional and that they can't be trusted to keep certain things behind closed doors. It's hardly going to make other teams want to sign them more.

I guess they get a bit of cabin fever spending three weeks in very close confinement, especially if they don't get on well with team-mates. But they are paid well enough not to disrespect their team.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Amnes2015 said:
Sky should send him home tonight

eventually give him a disciplinary fine so he doesn't get money for the rest of the year

horrible human

He only said that because he does not want the battle between Froome and Nairo to be decided by a crash ... :cool:

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:

Sorry, but the problem is either his english is pretty poor or you did not understood him correctly. I just checked his interview in Czech and he simply claims, that they have a plan for tomorrow to support Chris, that they are not interested into 2. place and that they are going to win GC.

The part in respect of Quintana was that Quintana looked really nervous and that he did not want Quintana to fall (especially due to wind) since the duel should not end by fall of Quintana ... .

Please check it here: http://sport.idnes.cz/rozhovor-konig-0gq-/cyklistika.aspx?c=A160909_200748_cyklistika_tm2

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

Jancouver said:
Amnes2015 said:

eventually give him a disciplinary fine so he doesn't get money for the rest of the year

horrible human

He only said that because he does not want the battle between Froome and Nairo to be decided by a crash ... :cool:

Exactly ;)

Jancouver said:
Amnes2015 said:

horrible human

I deleted the recording but I am pretty sure he also said when asked about Froome that Quintana should go well. Along with saying he hoped Quintana would not crash in the wind ..He made no comment on Froome at all...Must have been a selected part of the interview then

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:
I don't know what riders are thinking when they make their feuds public like this. Same with Kreuziger about Contador. All it does is reflect badly on them - makes them look unprofessional and that they can't be trusted to keep certain things behind closed doors. It's hardly going to make other teams want to sign them more.

I guess they get a bit of cabin fever spending three weeks in very close confinement, especially if they don't get on well with team-mates. But they are paid well enough not to disrespect their team.

Just one point even this is discussion in respect of König. In my opinion Kreuziger knows he made a mistake. But this mistake was caused by Alberto. When you want to be a team leader you have to play it psychologically a bit. And it was his mistake that even when he was aware of the fact, that the game is over for him, he still claim the team support even it was up to him to support team colleagues, at least symbolically during half of the stage. You can compare it with Michael Schumacher, when he crashed in Montreal in 1999 his chance to win the title were lost and after his comeback he was supporting Eddie Irwine till the end of the season. If you want your colleagues (team) to support you you have to show respect towards them and when the game is over to you then to support them at least symbolically ... .

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
Jancouver said:
Amnes2015 said:

horrible human

I deleted the recording but I am pretty sure he also said when asked about Froome that Quintana should go well. Along with saying he hoped Quintana would not crash in the wind ..He made no comment on Froome at all...Must have been a selected part of the interview then

Or he is unable to express himself in English properly ... .

His English sounded very good to me. Actually, he was talking about the strong winds in the TT and how it would affect smaller riders, like Quintana. I think he also said he expected minimal time differences between Froome and Quintana. Did strike me as a slightly strange thing to say though. Gave no lip service to backing Froome in that interview but to be fair he had just finished the TT.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
would be funny to find out that he was already signed by Movistar :D

lets see today, last stage of Vuelta, how much help can he bring for his team goals

Jancouver said:
HelloDolly said:
president of what ?

He is an "adviser" to (left wing) presidential candidate in Czech Rep. :cool:

Here is a link to the interview he did at the beginning of March ...

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsport.aktualne.cz%2Fostatni-sporty%2Fcyklistika%2Fleopold-konig-v-dvtv%2Fr~06aa4ba402a611e7bb37002590604f2e%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Gosh I never thought he was a political person

Maybe why he doesnt seem to be racing

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
Jancouver said:
HelloDolly said:
president of what ?

He is an "adviser" to (left wing) presidential candidate in Czech Rep. :cool:

Here is a link to the interview he did at the beginning of March ...

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsport.aktualne.cz%2Fostatni-sporty%2Fcyklistika%2Fleopold-konig-v-dvtv%2Fr~06aa4ba402a611e7bb37002590604f2e%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Gosh I never thought he was a political person

Maybe why he doesnt seem to be racing

Actually, he got some ongoing knee issues ... at least that is the official reason behind his no-show at the Pais Vasco