• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leopold Konig discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Nothing wrong with a top 5...but the amount of hype he gets on here you'd think he was the second coming

As for not riding for his leader.....this Giro for one and Catalunya as well ,etc

What race did you watched?!

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Vino's Mum said:
TomasC said:
In an interview today Leo said: "In all modesty, I think I probably am one of the three best descenders in the pack."
Okay, then prove it tomorrow and we will applaud you.

As I mentioned earlier this week, he's a great descender. Remember the stage from last year's TDF into Bagnères-de-Luchon?

Leo must've been over a minute down on Nibali's group over Port de Balès...

PROFIL.png

...and he caught them on his own just before the line.

Roger Kluge descended with him but it was still a good performance.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

search said:
if he is one of the best descenders now, he must have improved massively. He was one of the worst in the 2013 Vuelta
He is not, its just a plain talk imo.Guys like Nibali,Cancellara,Sagan,Sanchez are on whole another level.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
search said:
if he is one of the best descenders now, he must have improved massively. He was one of the worst in the 2013 Vuelta
He is not, its just a plain talk imo.Guys like Nibali,Cancellara,Sagan,Sanchez are on whole another level.
Well, it's hard to beat guys who aren't even taking part in La Vuelta :)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Kokoso said:
ILovecycling said:
search said:
I think we can see it with ours eyes, the technique,balls etc...Descending is not about direct comparison as that is almost impossible to make.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
if sky wanted to support Konig, the next two days is the time to do it. Aru is clearly hanging by the thread now. If sky can put his metronomic tempo upfront, Aru will most likely done. And Landa will have to help pacing him. But so far, I haven't seen sky showing up. The only time I saw them as a group is today when they were held by crash.

Jelantik said:
if sky wanted to support Konig, the next two days is the time to do it. Aru is clearly hanging by the thread now. If sky can put his metronomic tempo upfront, Aru will most likely done. And Landa will have to help pacing him. But so far, I haven't seen sky showing up. The only time I saw them as a group is today when they were held by crash.

Sky as a team have not looked good since the start. A few good individual stages and Konig's performance but their support riding has been mediocre even when Porte was riding well in the first week. Can't see that changing now, I just don't think they care about a top 5 too much, they were there for a podium and now all that has gone. Konig has got there pretty much on his own.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
Kokoso said:
ILovecycling said:
search said:
I think we can see it with ours eyes, the technique,balls etc...Descending is not about direct comparison as that is almost impossible to make.
You didn't catch it. He said he might be amongst three best decenders in La Vuelta and you compared him with guys who aren't there so I just notified you.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Meh, anonymous. Lost against Hesjedal and almost Kruijswijk even with a large lead going into 3rd week. Was almost never in the front mt group.
Froome won't have to worry about his leader position anytime soon.
No one in sixth GC place overal is quite anonymous.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Meh, anonymous. Lost against Hesjedal and almost Kruijswijk even with a large lead going into 3rd week. Was almost never in the front mt group.
Froome won't have to worry about his leader position anytime soon.

as a 2nd captain after Porte, getting 6th is very good. he was in the top 10 in Vuelta 2013, Tour 2014, and Giro 2015. bravo Leopold
he never was meant to go for leadership at Sky in his first year, Froome does not worry

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
His job was to be a super dom for Porte, so i think he did quite well actually.

IF Porte still was in the top GC, König would have been there to support him if he would have been dropped.

6th overall isn't bad for a rider at his level.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Very solid performance by Leo. He is missing the punch and acceleration but again, considering he was there to support LRP and that this is his only 3rd GT and he managed 9,7,6 we all should have respect for his performance.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Jancouver said:
Very solid performance by Leo. He is missing the punch and acceleration but again, considering he was there to support LRP and that this is his only 3rd GT and he managed 9,7,6 we all should have respect for his performance.
Yeah, thats true, but he is boring.Thats what matters for riders who are not going for podium imho.I enjoyed Kruiswijk, Hesjedal and heck even Trofimov more.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
Jancouver said:
Yeah, thats true, but he is boring.Thats what matters for riders who are not going for podium imho.I enjoyed Kruiswijk, Hesjedal and heck even Trofimov more.

I agree, but again, those guys were so behind that they had no other choice and therefore were allowed to get in breaks etc.

Nonetheless, I have to agree that Hasjedal was great and fun to watch the last week!