• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2016

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I should clarify I never thought he'd become a star and still don't.
But I do think he'll be a decent rider with a more than deserved place in the WT

yaco said:
Certain that Mohoric won the Cyclothon in HK on the 25th September.

That's not road racing, though. It's a criterium.
Not the "for show" criteriums, the actual sport of criterium racing that has an official UCI calendar

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
I should clarify I never thought he'd become a star and still don't.
But I do think he'll be a decent rider with a more than deserved place in the WT

yaco said:
Certain that Mohoric won the Cyclothon in HK on the 25th September.

That's not road racing, though. It's a criterium.
Not the "for show" criteriums, the actual sport of criterium racing that has an official UCI calendar

I was at the cyclothon - It was a relaxed race, though definitely not a 'for show' criterium.

Re:

coimbrawu said:
Matej Mohoric wins the queen stage (stage 6) of tour de Hainan 2016. He used his descending skill to catch Lutsenko, who attached 2km from the summit.
And it's his first pro win.
I'm very happy for Matej. He might be the second best descender in the peloton today, behind Sagan. Hopefully we'll see him in action in bigger races more and more in the upcoming years. The jury is still out on what kind of rider he is going to be. He's already become an excellent domestic, but I'm sure there's enough talent to be more than that. I still remember like it was yesterday what he did to Alaphilippe, Meintjes, the Yates bros,... in 2013 in Firenze. And all that while being 2 years younger than most of them. It's a little depressing when you look at what the mentioned riders have achieved already, while Mohoric's biggest result is a stage win in Tour de Hainan :sad:
But I still believe in him :)

Re: Re:

johnymax said:
coimbrawu said:
Matej Mohoric wins the queen stage (stage 6) of tour de Hainan 2016. He used his descending skill to catch Lutsenko, who attached 2km from the summit.
And it's his first pro win.
I'm very happy for Matej. He might be the second best descender in the peloton today, behind Sagan. Hopefully we'll see him in action in bigger races more and more in the upcoming years. The jury is still out on what kind of rider he is going to be. He's already become an excellent domestic, but I'm sure there's enough talent to be more than that. I still remember like it was yesterday what he did to Alaphilippe, Meintjes, the Yates bros,... in 2013 in Firenze. And all that while being 2 years younger than most of them. It's a little depressing when you look at what the mentioned riders have achieved already, while Mohoric's biggest result is a stage win in Tour de Hainan :sad:
But I still believe in him :)

Not to mention Ewan, Enger, Skujiņš, Villella, van Baarle, Hirt, Stuyven, Kueng, Waeytens, Cort, Seb Henao, Teunissen, Vervaeke, Howson, Oram, Benoot, Gougeard, Bettiol, Formolo, Valgren, Kudus, Berhane, Ruben Fernandez, Buchmann, Baska, Barbero, Grosu, Carapaz, Grmay, Sepulveda, Doull, Theuns, Bystrøm and Craddock.

Pretty good cohort.

I always found Mohoric a bit overrated. Apart from a great autumn in his last junior year and the one-off success in the U23 WC race in 2013 he never impressed me much. As mentioned above there are dozens of riders in his age group that performed far better in the last years.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Stage 8 in Tour of Hainan: after some serous attack, Lutsenko won the stage. Lutsenko attacks about 20km to go with Niemiec sitting on his wheel. Mohoric bridged into the group but also brought the 2nd group. Mohoric then tried to attack but didn't success. Then he faded, not sure if he exploded himself or for mechanic. Astana set a very good leadout for Lutsenko and he went for a uphill sprint in the final 150m. He beat Adriato with half a wheel's advantage. Lutsenko will win Tour of Hainan 2016 with one sprint stage left.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
I always found Mohoric a bit overrated. Apart from a great autumn in his last junior year and the one-off success in the U23 WC race in 2013 he never impressed me much. As mentioned above there are dozens of riders in his age group that performed far better in the last years.
imho, he don't have the physical tools other talent have. But he is very smart. So he knows how to use some skills and tactic to win the race(also some tricks, say peak in autumn to fight with some tired riders). Besides, he turned pro too early(I think he need to stay in U23 for at least one more years). I'm not sure if his poor performance in the last 3 years is because of poor coaching in the Cannondale. He show some improvement over 3 years, but less than many expected.

Re:

coimbrawu said:
Stage 8 in Tour of Hainan: after some serous attack, Lutsenko won the stage. Lutsenko attacks about 20km to go with Niemiec sitting on his wheel. Mohoric bridged into the group but also brought the 2nd group. Mohoric then tried to attack but didn't success.Then he faded, not sure if he exploded himself or for mechanic. Astana set a very good leadout for Lutsenko and he went for a uphill sprint in the final 150m. He beat Adriato with half a wheel's advantage. Lutsenko will win Tour of Hainan 2016 with one sprint stage left.
He crashed. From Lampre site:

While LAMPRE-MERIDA was planning the final sprint in order to consent to Mohoric to assault the leadership of Lutsenko, the young Slovenian gun crashed at 3,5 km to the arrival. Even if he did not suffer physical consequences, he could not reache the arrival in the head group, which performed the sprint for the victory which was obtained by Lutsenko on Andriato and Pasqualon.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
first stages of Tour of Taihu Lake:
Oleksandr Golovash from Minsk cycling club won the prologue. Then Mareczko won the next two stages like what he dominated in the race last year. But Stage 3 is a MTF. The stage was cold, raining and foggy. Cameron Bayly solo to the stage win. Leonardo Duque, who will retire at the end of the year (probably this race), race to 2nd place in a MTF stage! Then in Stage 4, another for sprinter, Marini beat Mareckzo and ended his winning record in Tour of Taihu Lake. Duque again got a 3rd place. With some sprinter stage left and time bonus, Duque, who is only 16s behind Bayly, still has chance to win the GC.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Duque took the overall win of Tour of Taihu Lake. The comeback win just came in the final stage. It's a medium mountain stage with 2 KOM. Southeast and DMP controlled to race. Godoy and Fonzi took turn to attack in the final climb and Bayly response the attack very well. Duque tried to attack in the descend and then Bayly seems hit by Godoy and lost his control to the bike. He went out the course and had a crash. The crash cost him the overall win (but also a mechanical problem with 15 to go). Peter Schulting and Mauricio Ortega bridged to Godoy and Duque group. Duque hold the race and won the sprint. Godoy and Schulting got the other two podium spot not only the stage but also GC.

Wang Meiyin tried to bridge into the lead group with 10km to go but failed. He came to line 6sec later and kept his 5th place in GC, with Fonzi in 4th.

Re:

coimbrawu said:
Duque took the overall win of Tour of Taihu Lake. The comeback win just came in the final stage. It's a medium mountain stage with 2 KOM. Southeast and DMP controlled to race. Godoy and Fonzi took turn to attack in the final climb and Bayly response the attack very well. Duque tried to attack in the descend and then Bayly seems hit by Godoy and lost his control to the bike. He went out the course and had a crash. The crash cost him the overall win (but also a mechanical problem with 15 to go). Peter Schulting and Mauricio Ortega bridged to Godoy and Duque group. Duque hold the race and won the sprint. Godoy and Schulting got the other two podium spot not only the stage but also GC.

Wang Meiyin tried to bridge into the lead group with 10km to go but failed. He came to line 6sec later and kept his 5th place in GC, with Fonzi in 4th.

Duque's last race?

Nice achievement by Duque, although his win would not be possible without Bayly's bad luck. But I would not say Bayly was hit by Godoy. It was probably Bayly's own mistake and I did not see contact between them. He was a bit too close to Godoy and when Godoy made small correction of his line, Bayly behind him overreacted, lost balance and was no longer able to stay on the road. I am not sure if he crashed, but he definitely had to change wheel after this, so game over for him.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
coimbrawu said:

Duque's last race?
He will retire at the end of the season. And there is no race for DMP right now so it should be his final race.