• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Also if he’s genuinely that fast it makes Remco taking him to the line with him in that juniors race even funnier

Even funnier?

It was amusing that Evenpoel was so overconfident that he just rode on the front for km after km with a guy sitting on his wheel and then got jumped. If it turns out that the unknown guy he took to a sprint is the most precocious sprint talent of his generation, it’s even funnier.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Flamin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Also if he’s genuinely that fast it makes Remco taking him to the line with him in that juniors race even funnier

Even funnier?

It was amusing that Evenpoel was so overconfident that he just rode on the front for km after km with a guy sitting on his wheel and then got jumped. If it turns out that the unknown guy he took to a sprint is the most precocious sprint talent of his generation, it’s even funnier.

Rider allegiances aside that would be funny. Imagine looking back now on a story of a rider happily riding for Kms with Griepel or Cavendish on there wheel just to be well and truly mugged at the end

Zinoviev Letter said:
Flamin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

Even funnier?

It was a stage race. Evenepoel was just riding to win the race, hence he didn't bother (and rightfully so) that some guy who couldn't take any pulls and who he was going to murder later in the race anyway, was sitting on his wheel. Nothing to do with overconfidence ;) it happens all the time, guys riding for gc towing better sprinters to the line (and Remco obviously couldn't know about Ghirmay's sprinting skills).

Flamin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Flamin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

Even funnier?

It was a stage race. Evenepoel was just riding to win the race, hence he didn't bother (and rightfully so) that some guy who couldn't take any pulls and who he was going to murder later in the race anyway, was sitting on his wheel. Nothing to do with overconfidence ;) it happens all the time, guys riding for gc towing better sprinters to the line (and Remco obviously couldn't know about Ghirmay's sprinting skills).

If you look back at the post race interviews posted in the Evenepoel thread at the time, you will find that he wasn’t quite as blasé about being mugged as you are implying here.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Flamin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Flamin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

Even funnier?

If you look back at the post race interviews posted in the Evenepoel thread at the time, you will find that he wasn’t quite as blasé about being mugged as you are implying here.

Well, that he was racing to win the overall, doesn't automatically mean he shouldn't be unhappy about losing the stage now, does it? :) especially not after being wheelsucked so blatantly.

Re:

yaco said:
Ghirmay finished 66th and 75th in the first two stages. Need to watch the finish of the three stages to get a better guide on his sprinting capabilities.

Don’t think the first two stages would tell us anything as he wasn’t involved in the sprint. We do need to see the finish of the stage he won, because on the face of it an 18 year old winning a big bunch sprint against that competition is even more surprising than the 20 year old Gaviria beating Cavendish in the early season a few years ago. Particularly if the 18 year old isn’t considered a proper bunch sprinter as DNP-Old says (although it’s worth pointing out that a Kittel wasn’t considered a bunch sprinter at 18 either).

It could be that he was a late attacker or went super early or something.

Zinoviev Letter said:
yaco said:
Ghirmay finished 66th and 75th in the first two stages. Need to watch the finish of the three stages to get a better guide on his sprinting capabilities.

Don’t think the first two stages would tell us anything as he wasn’t involved in the sprint. We do need to see the finish of the stage he won, because on the face of it an 18 year old winning a big bunch sprint against that competition is even more surprising than the 20 year old Gaviria beating Cavendish in the early season a few years ago. Particularly if the 18 year old isn’t considered a proper bunch sprinter as DNP-Old says (although it’s worth pointing out that a Kittel wasn’t considered a bunch sprinter at 18 either).

It could be that he was a late attacker or went super early or something.

Appaently it was a bunch sprint - http://dehai.org/dehai/dehai-news/303688

1548245221_1_max.jpg

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
"I have not doubted myself for one second," he commented after his first success with the professionals. I felt that I had good legs, just had to wait until the last moment to start my sprint. My teammates have well prepared the ground to place me in the best conditions. "

Re:

RedheadDane said:
So, something odd happened on stage 2; a guy went down in a crash - and disappeared behind the barrier - while his bike was dragged over by another rider.
Does that mean his placement is actually based on when his bike crossed the line?

Yeah, I wondered what was going on there too! :)

(Edit - I see on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSg8cwLf8vI at 2min 25 sec an overhead shot and one guys bike gets entangled with the rider in front. One rider goes behind the barriers and his bike gets dragged over the line. Question is, if the rider runs after his bike over the line, what time does he get?! edit - 3km rule of course! - I'm dumb sometimes :) )

Chapeau Biniam Girmay! 18 years old ... yep, I feel old as well. :D