• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ok, Murcia is definitely weird racing. Nice group in the final of the second stage, but what some guys did, or better did not ... CCC threw away an almost certain victory although Trentin had Cerny there. Valverde didn't seem interested at all too.

LL Sanchez gets the stage win, Meurisse was involved in front too and achieves the overall.

The race is fixed even though it is a Pro race.

I doubt these riders would bother lying about the road to not cycle. If they didn't want to race they would just have a bad day and drop out the back. As usual you are blindly taking the Spanish side

When people who actually ride these roads on a regular basis say there is NOTHING wrong with them, I'm going with what they say over someone who had never seen those roads before yesterday. Also you missed the Spanish riders saying the roads were fine and calling the non Spaniards who said they were bad hypocrites. The riders who didn't want to race yesterday SHOULD have just dropped off the back of the field instead of forcing the riders who did want to race to lose any chance of winning the race. That's called bad sportsmanship.

Because of the disaster of yesterday no one particularly cared about today. Hopefully the organizers can limit if not totally eliminate invites to teams with out several Spaniards on them as they obviously don't want to be there.

As Trentin was the main one complaining about the roads yesterday he'd not have exactly been very welcome on the podium by the organizers OR the fans.

Due to Trentin and others the race this year was a complete and total farce.

Because of the disaster of yesterday no one particularly cared about today. Hopefully the organizers can limit if not totally eliminate invites to teams with out several Spaniards on them as they obviously don't want to be there.

As Trentin was the main one complaining about the roads yesterday he'd not have exactly been very welcome on the podium by the organizers OR the fans.

2 Spanish teams had no one in the break yesterday. Did they want to be there or not?

2 Spanish teams had no one in the break yesterday. Did they want to be there or not?

Continental teams likely can't do much regardless. Also when part of the peloton is complaining and then only going to sit on wheels there is literally ZERO reason to do anything at all and the best option at that point is to let the race become a farce. The riders who didn't want to race because of supposed bad roads should have DNFed if they were that unhappy. Thus today the reason that the riders decided Trentin was not allowed to have any chance of winning. He's not welcome there. By the way because of the farce of stage al 10 riders from that break finish in the top 10 of GC because it was IMPOSSIBLE to bring back 16 minutes on riders who are in their second ever race at that level.

So they all rode against a single rider just because he has a different opinion on rider's safety and was vocal about it on Twitter. Sounds very mature.

Btw Trentin has no agenda against Spanish roads. He has talked about safety on bike a gazillion times in the past, especially regarding Italian roads.

Reactions: yaco
So they all rode against a single rider just because he has a different opinion on rider's safety and was vocal about it on Twitter. Sounds very mature.

Btw Trentin has no agenda against Spanish roads. He has talked about safety on bike a gazillion times in the past, especially regarding Italian roads.

Only Trentin was vocal about it publicly, but it sounds like he wasn't the only one. There were a Spanish riders calling him and others hypocrites for what they said as they have never complained about roads that are much worse. If he didn't want to race he should have gotten off his bike. Today the riders basically ensured he would not win today's stage one way or another because of his comments and what he and others did yesterday. He talk all he wants, but when locals are saying the roads are good, then he has some sort of agenda. These are locals who ride, train, and RACE on those roads. Yes they did ride against him at the end of today's stage because they could not allow him to win. Basically his comments on twitter and the response from Lobato on twitter has fully broken the rider solidarity we've seen in the past. Now that it's broken, it's never go back. I suspect Murcia will never invite a team that Trentin is in back to their race after he made a farce out of the race.

I don’t get it. What is Trentin’s agenda supposed to be?

The race yesterday was a total debacle and that made today's race useless. Then Trentin complained about "bad road conditions" that the Spanish riders and the locals can't understand how anyone can think those road conditions are bad. It seems the Spanish have taken what he said personally and are putting blame on his for yesterday's debacle and making the race a farce. Let's put it this way, yesterday's stage is perfect example of why road cycling as a sport will never succeed in the US. It literally doesn't exist in most of the country as it is and where it does exist is dying. That was a great example of why it's dying here. I just hope it doesn't destroy this race as it easily could. They are already putting a race on on a very limited budget and there is no guarantee they will have funding for next year or future editions. What Trentin accomplished was angering the Spanish riders and fans along with the race organizers. That appears to be the only thing he's accomplished. I hope he's happy he managed to anger a heck of a lot of people.

Today the Italian season starts with the trofeo Laigueglia. The Braidot twins, 2 of the best Italian MTB riders, will ride for the Italian national team.
trofeo-laigueglia-2020-result-profile-0dd57cb784.jpg

I still don't follow why the race (Murcia) was a debacle. I only saw the end of stage 1 but it looked like they were racing to me. Or maybe they should annul the results of Stage 1 and give Luis Leon Sanchez the GC victory because Xandro Meurisse isn't considered a big enough star by the locals?

To me, once the bigger teams were happy with the Stage 1 break, it didn't matter whether the peloton lost 2 min or 16 min. Actually, the bigger time gap was better for the race because allowed for a more interesting Stage 2. If the time gaps were smaller, the stronger riders would be less likely able to get away and more teams would control for a dull reduced-bunch sprint.

Sure, the race was a farce due to a rider raising his voice about road safety and not due to the two riders who fix the race every year.

Movistar and Astana could have ridden yesterday to control the lead of the break but they did not want to - that's not on Trentin

The organizers even kind of apologized for the awful design of the finishing kms of stage 1, stating it was a request of the local goverment which paid for hosting the finish of the stage and not their own choice.

Rewatch the closing kms of 2018 and also the end of the edition won by Taaramae and then blame it on Trentin again - who, by the way, has been riding the race for several years so he does not have a grudge against Murcia.

This race is disgusting and makes a terrible impression of the local region. Honestly it should disappear or being severely modified.

And finally, shoutout for supporting Omertá.

I still don't follow why the race (Murcia) was a debacle. I only saw the end of stage 1 but it looked like they were racing to me. Or maybe they should annul the results of Stage 1 and give Luis Leon Sanchez the GC victory because Xandro Meurisse isn't considered a big enough star by the locals?

To me, once the bigger teams were happy with the Stage 1 break, it didn't matter whether the peloton lost 2 min or 16 min. Actually, the bigger time gap was better for the race because allowed for a more interesting Stage 2. If the time gaps were smaller, the stronger riders would be less likely able to get away and more teams would control for a dull reduced-bunch sprint.

Think it's because Valverde didn't win

The Flying Mullet takes the NZRR

Quickstep riders really want those Nationals, dont they? Morkov won one edition in I dont know how many years as a pro, signs with QS and takes 2 titles in a row. Jack Bauer joins QS for one season, immediately wins national TT for the first (and so far only) time in his career. Richeze is now 36 and has won the title in Argentina exactly once in his life: When he was at Quickstep. Same goes for Uran, Golas, Viviani, Cavendish, Cataldo or Vakoc. All relatively short time with the team but took their only nationals while riding for them. And often they did not have the support they have in other races. They are lone starters at those races because Quickstep is so international that lots of nationalities are just one or two riders (except Belgium of course).

TRENDING THREADS