• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2023 edition

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I tried the English commentators this time. I believe the female commentator - whose name I don't remember - is famous for overlooking important developments in races. And she did it once again here - totally missing that the Jumbo rider clipped out. She didnt't mention it when it happened and then later maintained it was a mechanical. It's just not good enough.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Clipboard.png

I tried the English commentators this time. I believe the female commentator - whose name I don't remember - is famous for overlooking important developments in races. And she did it once again here - totally missing that the Jumbo rider clipped out. She didnt't mention it when it happened and then later maintained it was a mechanical. It's just not good enough.
It's Jose Been. At least she doesn't fall asleep while speaking like the Dutch commentator. But you're right.

I was very pleased when Karsten Migels was available for the final and the quality difference in commentary was notable.

It's Jose Been. At least she doesn't fall asleep while speaking like the Dutch commentator. But you're right.

I was very pleased when Karsten Migels was available for the final and the quality in commentary was notable.

Last weekend in Drenthe she went on about how beautiful Drenthe was for 10 minutes straight while the whole peloton was splitting up due to echelons. When she finally stopped, she didn't even realize the peloton was split into mutilple groups and had no idea who was where. That's exactly what you should do as a commentator, telling the Audience what's happening, not talking about a random bridge or windmill around the parcours.

Her English commentary is a bit less bad than her Dutch commentary, but it's still incredibly annoying (doesn't help that I just don't like her voice).

Last weekend in Drenthe she went on about how beautiful Drenthe was for 10 minutes straight while the whole peloton was splitting up due to echelons. Her English commentary is a bit less bad than her Dutch commentary, but it's still incredibly annoying (doesn't help that I just don't like her voice).
I listened to the Dutch Commentary on Sunday, which was the original RTV Drenthe one.

That said, Migels likes to waffle about past results while there's racing happening as well. Sometimes I wonder whether he's making coffee and doesn't actually watch the race going. But he sounds better again so far this season.

Brian Smith was even worse than her for this today: he was regaling us with some tale of a putative race that British Cycling didn't endorse in Scotland, and the pair of them riffed on this for a while, stopping just short of declaring it to be Health and Safety gone mad, quite oblivious of the fact that the key move of the race (EBH was dragging his group clear of the peloton) was happening.

Last weekend in Drenthe she went on about how beautiful Drenthe was for 10 minutes straight while the whole peloton was splitting up due to echelons. When she finally stopped, she didn't even realize the peloton was split into mutilple groups and had no idea who was where. That's exactly what you should do as a commentator, telling the Audience what's happening, not talking about a random bridge or windmill around the parcours.

Her English commentary is a bit less bad than her Dutch commentary, but it's still incredibly annoying (doesn't help that I just don't like her voice).

Commentators in my country are usually great and they have commentated for a long time and have great chemistry with each other commenting.

However, for some smaller races we have to make due with the English commentary sometimes and this woman has been commenting a few of these early in the season races. I am not a fan, I will leave it at that.