• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2023 edition

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wanting it to be more of a warm-up for MSR?
Would also explain the change in time.

Only that not of the top favorites goes there. What a waste of a great race.
Oh no, you're spot on when it comes to them wanting to have a warm-up race for MSR. It's just the execution that's really poor...

That's a genius move actually. Make a warm up race (for a monument) which is not raced by any of the top favorites for that monument.
While at the same time you kill a perfectly fine warm-up race for a different monument.

Milano-Torino: Cancellara happy
Clipboard.png

(thanks RedHeadDane for the thread advice!)
That’s just criminal how they ruined Milano-Torino. If they wanted a sprint friendly race in the week of MSR create a new race instead of butchering a once very fine one day classic with a star studded winners list.

That's a genius move actually. Make a warm up race (for a monument) which is not raced by any of the top favorites for that monument.
While at the same time you kill a perfectly fine warm-up race for a different monument.

And I think a sprint race like this is no use as a warm-up race as well. All flat, pace wise should not be harder than a training day riding in the peloton, and the factor that could call more riders to be there in order to prepare San Remo (small short hills near the finish) don't exist either. It's a better chance to have a crash that hinders their presence in Sanremo than to prepare anything.

I think Laigueglia (maybe a less harder version than the last iterations) or the now defunct GP Industria Larciano would be a better warm-up race than this.

Edit: i thought it was not held last year due to Tirreno changing dates but is now held in the end of march.

Reactions: Roku
I think the calendar will actually look much worse if the UCI really pushes through the "no WT races at the same time" idea. I really struggle to see that can work out without shortening races like Paris-Nice, Tirreno or Catalunya to ~5 days, at least.

But anyway, over to Denain today, which should be fun. Lots of wind, and as usual, fairly rough cobbles:

vASpt9o.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the calendar will actually look much worse if the UCI really pushes through the "no WT races at the same time" idea. I really struggle to see that can work out without shortening races like Paris-Nice, Tirreno or Catalunya to ~5 days, at least.
To make it work without shorting the events you need to move Strade and Paris Nice a week earlier.

Given K-B-K is not WT it’s possible to have Omloop at the standard Saturday, Strade the Sunday and then start a 7 stage Paris-Nice on Monday. Then start a 7 stage Tirreno the following Monday. Then San Remo Saturday and a 6 stage Catalunya Monday as this year leaving the Sunday for Gent-Wevelgem.

The losers would be Brugge de Panne and E3, but probably not a big issue to degrade them to .Pro (and therefore have them same dates as now) as there is a lot of WT-races in Belgium already.

To make it work without shorting the events you need to move Strade and Paris Nice a week earlier.

Given K-B-K is not WT it’s possible to have Omloop at the standard Saturday, Strade the Sunday and then start a 7 stage Paris-Nice on Monday. Then start a 7 stage Tirreno the following Monday. Then San Remo Saturday and a 6 stage Catalunya Monday as this year leaving the Sunday for Gent-Wevelgem.

it may be possible, yes, but I struggle to see any advantage that would come with a calendar like this - apart from for the TV stations.

Reactions: hayneplane
I think the calendar is fine as it is. Even if they are in separate weeks, no one is going to race Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico back to back and the event that changes dates is the one that will suffer the most in terms of participation.

UCI just need to align with race organizers in order to guarantee that both races don't finish at the same time. 1h30 to 2 hour of broadcast is enough for both races, no need to watch paint dry for 3 hours in each race.