• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2023 edition

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Groupama - FDJ will have a headache on which riders they are gonna be able to retain in the future.

So many talents on their roster. They have done really well with their set up and bringing riders through their development team to their first team.
Their talent is not stacked into only one or two areas, luckily. They have good parity in what sort of races are deemed the best fit for the leaders they have. I'd say right now Madiot won't have many headaches, but once the likes of Le Huitouze and Gruel join the party, you might be looking at a Jumbo situation where very talented guys will do nothing but donkey work.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Their talent is not stacked into only one or two areas, luckily. They have good parity in what sort of races are deemed the best fit for the leaders they have. I'd say right now Madiot won't have many headaches, but once the likes of Le Huitouze and Gruel join the party, you might be looking at a Jumbo situation where very talented guys will do nothing but donkey work.
In addition, Pinot is retiring and Démare could well be leaving at the end of the season too, leaving a lot of protected role opportunities for their talents to step into and also a fair chunk of budget to further reshape the team with.

With the difference that Madiot doesnt have the money to keep those guys happy. Jumbo does. He'll have to make choices. Probably will prefer to keep the French guys.

Reactions: Salvarani

They will have a headache on who retain in the future, if many are performing this well. These talents will eventually demand a bigger salary or get offers from other teams. That just how it goes.

It has nothing to do with that they have a number of riders with different abilities coming through. That there wont potentially be headaches on who to retain. That is just something that speaks even more to their great set up. They are able to develop riders with different characteristics.

Nice problems to have and a very interesting team to follow atm. Future looks bright for them.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Btw, I think Ralph Denk made a big mistake choosing Lipowitz over Engelhardt. Too fixated on the numbers and what could be, rather than what is.

This!

While Engelhardt keeps on delivering as neo-pro just as he did as U23 rider, all Lipowitz has ever done was hanging on for dear life for an anonymous 20th place on some random Giro del Trentino stage some years ago. Jayco picked up a really good rider there.

This!

While Engelhardt keeps on delivering as neo-pro just as he did as U23 rider, all Lipowitz has ever done was hanging on for dear life for an anonymous 20th place on some random Giro del Trentino stage some years ago. Jayco picked up a really good rider there.
Exactly. And while I do not doubt Lipowitz probably has insane potential on paper and can drop huge numbers in the lab, Engelhardt has been the one to progress on tarmac every year. High risk, high rewards is not always the best option. This quest Denk set himself to find the new Roglic has been a dud so far. Though it must be said Zwiehoff is developing into a very decent rider. But it's safe to say Palzer ain't the one.