• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2023 edition

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When Trek finally starts riding for him he can't stop winning. Will be really close in Tour of Belgium too (looks like he's riding that).

Gives me Van der Poel vibes honestly, he will meet him next week.
Nys has a great kick like Van der Poel but because he is smaller, he can climb better than him. That could give him the upperhand on the Tour of Belgium as stage 4 looks pretty hard though the 15km TT favours Van der Poel. Regardless of what happens there and in the rest of the season, Nys is already one of the best neo-pros of 2023.

Reactions: Sandisfan
When Trek finally starts riding for him he can't stop winning. Will be really close in Tour of Belgium too (looks like he's riding that).

Gives me Van der Poel vibes honestly, he will meet him next week.
I compared him to Van der Poel in 2020 (after he won the WC CX) on twitter due to his traits. A killer mentality, serial winner, technical wizkid (i think he's superior to Mathieu or at least on par), very punchy... But obviously i got a mobbed by certain fans, lol. I do think Mathieu was even more precocious than Thibau and it's hard to imagine him having the same class overall, but so far he's living up to the comparison rather Nys-ly. Ahaha. Sorry. For the moment, i'd put him a tier below Mathieu in overall potential, if only because those are big shoes to fill. Let's wait and see, but i agree his strong points are very similar to those of MvdP.

For the moment i'm inclined to think Thibau climbs even better, but on the other hand, Mathieu is said to have been a better climber when he was younger as well, and if Thibau gains some "body" those climbing legs might start weighing too heavy as well.

Here is a video (during covid when people had nothing better to do) when Nys was 17 and Van der Poel was 25. It was a cyclocross timetrial, that means technique and punch are deciding factors. You can guess who won.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXVlL-DQy0

The kid is good, let's see him against Van der Poel, my guess is he'll be close but not quite there...
Belgium might get another great "classicomano", after Wout and Remco...
There is also lots of potential in De Lie and Philipsen. What makes it nice for fans of Belgian cycling is that they don't all overlap as much as might have been the case in past generations.

Last edited:
I'm still angry I didn't put any money on Thibau becoming European Champion after predicting he would win with the form he had shown in Namen, Vlaams-Brabant and the national championships. Could've been set for life I reckon.
can't say with 100% certainty, but outside the World Championships, I can't remember to have seen betting markets for a single U23 race during the past 10 years or so.

TRENDING THREADS