• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2024 edition

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Volta in Lisbon was fun enough... albeit the spring was pretty boring.. slightly more uphill than looked on paper and Aviludo - Louletano - Loulé Concelho seemed to get everything right in last few km for a lay-up for Tivani.

Fun takeaways:

Tivani actually seemed super, super hyped. First pro race win in Europe and being in (almost) the centre of Lisbon was a pretty big crowd. I guess biggest moment of his career alongside riding for UAE years back as a stagiaire

Colin Stüssi should have a sun cream sponsor. Incredible how white that man is considering the weather in the last 3 days.

There was an award for the top Portugueser in the stage. Which was the award that got the most cheers aha.

Volta in Lisbon was fun enough... albeit the spring was pretty boring.. slightly more uphill than looked on paper and Aviludo - Louletano - Loulé Concelho seemed to get everything right in last few km for a lay-up for Tivani.

Fun takeaways:

Tivani actually seemed super, super hyped. First pro race win in Europe and being in (almost) the centre of Lisbon was a pretty big crowd. I guess biggest moment of his career alongside riding for UAE years back as a stagiaire

Colin Stüssi should have a sun cream sponsor. Incredible how white that man is considering the weather in the last 3 days.

There was an award for the top Portugueser in the stage. Which was the award that got the most cheers aha.
We really didn't know about Stüssi's level before the race because the big MTF in the Österreichrundfahrt got cancelled. That said, he was as fast as 2022 Figueiredo on that final climb and did 6.45-6.5 w/kg for the duration of the climb.

Gloag hasn't raced in almost a year after being hit by a car in training so it's good to see him attacking here. It's a good move at the right time I think, UAE don't have too many horses, Novak is gone, VSL is tired and Ulissi/Hirschi don't want to pace for each other.
Yeah, good move. Hirschi might not like too much of a tempo on this climb. Not sure he can defend his lead. And JSM looks good in the favourites group!

Reactions: Tim Cahill
I saw a comment on twitter that said that Nordhagen is only 50kg. If that's true then that sort of explains that he might be a little behind on ITTs vs other pros. Even with a good engine that is a little light weight to be able to push a high enough gear on the flat.
Nah, a 50kg guy wouldn't be as good in XC skiing as he was, you need some upper body mass (and core strength), even more for classic skiing than for skating. Granted, he is a thin guy with an absurd engine, but not that thin. Probably more of a Pidcock/Yates twins built.
I can believe under 60kg, but looking at his TT results in the junior ranks he can't be that light.

Looks like the Peloton has trouble keeping the break in check in Tour of Alsace. Gap was down to 50s at one point but now up to 2:50 with 20k to go. Nordhagen needs to keep the break to 1 minute or so to keep yellow.

Wtf is Visma doing? I mean Simmons basically? Why is he riding in front? I would not be happy if I was Nordhagen. He's team is letting him down here.

Last edited:
Figueiredo once again pulling from the start of the climb and Moreira in 2nd position, not Nych, who'd offer a much larger slipstream than the small climber Figueiredo...

Also, what is the point of train riding instead of sending riders on the attack after Sussy Stüssi demolished them on the first MTF? The team name has changed, but those are still Efapel tactics.

Now at least Nych is covering moves.

Figueiredo once again pulling from the start of the climb and Moreira in 2nd position, not Nych, who'd offer a much larger slipstream than the small climber Figueiredo...

Also, what is the point of train riding instead of sending riders on the attack after Sussy Stüssi demolished them on the first MTF? The team name has changed, but those are still Efapel tactics.

Now at least Nych is covering moves.

Sabgal is the portuguese Ineos.

Very good when they were Efapel (Sky), lost their edge when switching names but they still think they are the reference.

Reactions: Sandisfan