• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2021

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thought I saw a picture of Merlier winning with Nizzolo among those behind? Maybe some site was using an old photo

This one?

3JmnWegh58EH9bYdP4Jiwd-1024-80.jpg.webp

That was from the Giro. Notice the 'W'? And Sagan hiding behind Nizzolo? And Groenewegen? And all the pink? And the Giro logo?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Cyclingnews used the Merlier pic from the Giro on their Facebook post about the result.

Happens all the time, websites use a pic of the winner, winning a race, and then update their post later when they get a pic from the finish line of the race.

Still, I thought there was a rule that came in a couple years ago that riders couldn't start another race until the stage race they had abandoned was complete?

Cyclingnews used the Merlier pic from the Giro on their Facebook post about the result.

Happens all the time, websites use a pic of the winner, winning a race, and then update their post later when they get a pic from the finish line of the race.

Still, I thought there was a rule that came in a couple years ago that riders couldn't start another race until the stage race they had abandoned was complete?
They need the permission of the organizers of the race in which they abandoned. RCS gave Merlier that permission.

Absoultely disgraceful a rider can enter a Grand Tour, quit after a week of flat stages due to 'fatigue', then enter and win another race days later
Merlier could have been too tired to continue but even so do not have to stay in bed for the rest of the Giro. That would be like if you were home from school for one day in third grade because of a cold and then still couldn't go outside to play one week later.

Merlier could have been too tired to continue but even so do not have to stay in bed for the rest of the Giro. That would be like if you were home from school for one day in third grade because of a cold and then still couldn't go outside to play one week later.
The rule about it was brought in after the likes of Cipo taking off a week into the Tour and just generally taking the piss. I think there were also issues more recently with sprinters ditching the latter stages of some week-long races to ride in Belgium at the weekend etc.

In this case, though, it would be a bit much to expect of an 80kg sprinter to haul his way over the mountains of the last week, where he not only can’t win any stages, he probably can’t even be of much use for whatever gc ambitions his team may have.

Reactions: TMP402
So, this is a bit random... but I'm guessing Movistar is not actually doing the Grosser Preis des Kantons Aargau. Because not only is there a rule prohibiting a rider from riding for a national selection if his trade team is riding, even if he's not selected for his trade team's lineup, I think a rider representing both his trade team, and a national selection at the same time would definitely be frowned up:

Switzerland
-
And Switzerland is listed as being official.

• Wow
So, this is a bit random... but I'm guessing Movistar is not actually doing the Grosser Preis des Kantons Aargau. Because not only is there a rule prohibiting a rider from riding for a national selection if his trade team is riding, even if he's not selected for his trade team's lineup, I think a rider representing both his trade team, and a national selection at the same time would definitely be frowned up:

Switzerland
-
And Switzerland is listed as being official.

He loves the race so much he's going to ride it twice, presumably. PCS often have trouble with national teams, and Jacobs seems to be the only one who's actually riding for a UCI licensed team.

Last edited:
He loves the race so much he's going to ride it twice, presumably. PCS often have trouble with national teams, and Jacobs seems to be the only one who's actually riding for a UCI licensed team.

PCS also has trouble comprehending riders taking part in national championships of nations they are not registered as being from (which usually happens several times a year).

BEX got their tactics wrong in this race - They had Chaves not contributing in the leading group of three while continually looking over his shoulder waiting for the peleton which was never catching the leading three on the last lap - The team should have got Chaves to attack on the last lap.

TRENDING THREADS