• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage
Clipboard.png

Good racing all over today, everyone went all out, Exciting stuff when so many could win the GC, Pedrero descending like a mad man, Bennet attacking hard , even the fin (Hänninen) was in the mix. Only disappointment maybe was Skjelmose who should have attacked himself instead of gesturing for Martin to drag him to the line so he could beat him in the finish.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tomorrow European Champs in Munich, 207 kms. The French start with seven pure sprinters and one climber/rouleur. I‘m curious how they will ride their sprint. Probably seven men next to each other, from left to right, over the full broad road… ;)

Ackermann will want to win this, but it will be hard against seven (!!) pure French sprinters. France can hide in the peloton, it‘s on German soil.

Reactions: Andy262
Tomorrow European Champs in Munich, 207 kms. The French start with seven pure sprinters and one climber/rouleur. I‘m curious how they will ride their sprint. Probably seven men next to each other, from left to right, over the full broad road… ;)

Ackermann will want to win this, but it will be hard against seven (!!) pure French sprinters. France can hide in the peloton, it‘s on German soil.
Too many chefs making a broth though maybe?

Anyways, the European Championships aren‘t really the most popular races. Fans and riders seem to avoid it a little bit.

The course in Munich for the Pro Elite Men RR is disappointing, sadly. It‘s downhill, then it‘s flat. 1300 vertical meters on 207 kilometers. That‘s a course only for the sprinters.

Why 207 kms? Even the pure sprinters won‘t be tired after 207 kms on such an easy course. It‘s August and they are in top shape.

20 kms would have been enough. 20 kms from the suburbs of Munich to the centre. If you finish on a broad road, that‘s even safe. The result would be the same as it will be after 207 kms.

I hope it will be an exciting race, but I cannot really imagine that it will be exciting. It will be fast, that‘s for sure. So, I actually don‘t care so much who will win this.
I actually just hope we won‘t see too many terrible crashes. There is some curse on 2022, see Bernal‘s many broken bones or Roglic‘ vertebrae. And the sad highlight was Benoot‘s broken neck. Enough is enough, so I hope for a safe and fair race tomorrow. :)

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
Anyways, the European Championships aren‘t really the most popular races. Fans and riders seem to avoid it a little bit.

The course in Munich for the Pro Elite Men RR is disappointing, sadly. It‘s downhill, then it‘s flat. 1300 vertical meters on 207 kilometers. That‘s a course only for the sprinters.

Why 207 kms? Even the pure sprinters won‘t be tired after 207 kms on such an easy course. It‘s August and they are in top shape.

20 kms would have been enough. 20 kms from the suburbs of Munich to the centre. If you finish on a broad road, that‘s even safe. The result would be the same as it will be after 207 kms.

I hope it will be an exciting race, but I cannot really imagine that it will be exciting. It will be fast, that‘s for sure. So, I actually don‘t care so much who will win this.
I actually just hope we won‘t see too many terrible crashes. There is some curse on 2022, see Bernal‘s many broken bones or Roglic‘ vertebrae. And the sad highlight was Benoot‘s broken neck. Enough is enough, so I hope for a safe and fair race tomorrow. :)

I don't think there is a curse (partly because such things obviously don't exist), people are just moaning more about crashes than before.

But yeah, the race doesn't seem promising at all. Last year's edition was fantastic, though, with action almost from the gun and a rampaging Remco who could vanquish everybody but Colbrelli.

What the heck happened in Guadeloupe?
Brunel looked like he was on his way to certain victory, but then he lost half an hour to Bennett.
I've only skimmed the first half of the stage and it's a little hard to follow without km to go graphics, but... A 10 or so rider group went up the road. Brunel lost all teammates 50-60km into the stage, started chasing himself and got dropped by the main favorites on the small mid-stage climb. It's a wacky, entertaining stage and those last few climbs look very steep.

Guadeloupe la 1ère Stage 9

TRENDING THREADS