• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2023, one day monument, April 23 (men's)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not an DBZ expert, so I'm comparing them with characters from a different universe: Remco is Donald Duck, Pogi is Gladstone Gander, Lefevere is Scrooge McDuck, Vingegaard is Goofy, and INEOS are the Beagle Boys.

According to Feltet, Landa is equally likely to win as Evenepoel. I can only assume Landa has been secretly been working on his sprint.

He did finish 3rd the other day, but even I can't really see him finish on the podium on Sunday.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I honestly think the racing starting from further out than La Redoute is possible. The race will be all about how early Remco dares to attack. He has to win this my making it a TT and he can only really do so by catching Pogacar off guard. He won't be able to do so on La Redoute.
I don't expect the racing to start really early but I wouldn't be surprised by it.

On another note, surely this must be the most hyped LBL edition in an eternity. This almost feels like the Boonen vs. Cancellara kind of battles of old.

I honestly think the racing starting from further out than La Redoute is possible. The race will be all about how early Remco dares to attack. He has to win this my making it a TT and he can only really do so by catching Pogacar off guard. He won't be able to do so on La Redoute.
I don't expect the racing to start really early but I wouldn't be surprised by it.

On another note, surely this must be the most hyped LBL edition in an eternity. This almost feels like the Boonen vs. Cancellara kind of battles of old.

Well, Remco just said at his press conference that he expects the racing to start already on the Côte de Wanne. He doesn't specify though if he's going to be the one to open the final himself on the Wanne. :)

If he waits, it's only going to favor Pogacar more. He's not going to drop the Slovenian if he waits for RaF if the race hasn't taken its tol and chances of outsprinting him are slim at best. If i were SQS i would also send someone with actual potential into an early break. Not Serry or Vervaeke, but Schmid or Van Wilder. I don't think Bagioli has it in him to go far in the final here, and Alaphilippe is probably too big a name to let ride regardless of his form. But try to get UAE at work as soon as possible in order to isolate Pogacar before the final as much as possible.

Reactions: Sandisfan
FuPU39qXgAIzHTa

View: https://twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1649448014006681613

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Hard to pick, I am starting to think maybe Remco can pull an upset?

I think if Pogacar can hold Remco's wheel whenever he attacks (e.g. la Redoutte ) then Pog would win in the sprint. But that is easier said than done, he couldn't do that at the worlds. I am guessing after his stint at altitude that Remco will be at his peak top level even though Pog has rightly been getting all the headlines with his race wins.

But I also see the weather is expected to be cool. I think that favors Pog? Crazy that almost nobody has suggested other possible contenders - Mas or Vlasov ?

Remco confident he can beat Pog in the sprint

“Of course, it would be best if I arrived alone, but I'm not afraid to sprint against Pogačar. Roglič has already managed to win a sprint from him, and I have already beaten Roglič,” Evenepoel said, and then smiled.

My main hope is that our big 2 aren’t aren't SO much better than the other riders that when Pogacar or Remco attack with 40-50 Km to go, at least a couple of other riders —whomever among Lutsenko, Mas, Healy, Vlasov, etc. —are able to stick with them or get back on their wheels quickly. Even if it still seems fairly certain one of the two favs will win, at least it will be a more interesting racing dynamic if a couple of other guys are still with them.

Remco confident he can beat Pog in the sprint

“Of course, it would be best if I arrived alone, but I'm not afraid to sprint against Pogačar. Roglič has already managed to win a sprint from him, and I have already beaten Roglič,” Evenepoel said, and then smiled.
I've read that kind of reasoning too often on this site. Can someone invite him to join in?

TRENDING THREADS