• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liège-Bastogne-Liège: October 4th, 2020

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As it is now the showdown lasts less than 5 km. Still better than the Ans sprint, but any move before RaF is dead I'm afraid (although it has to be said that we will have optimal conditions this Sunday for action before that, but I doubt it will be different to the action before Poggio).
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I do think we should wait a year or two before coming to conclusions. The new route has been raced once so we don't really know yet how the average race on this route goes. Wasn't the first Ronde editions with the new finale also pretty much the worst the new route has seen and it got better the following years? I don't think attacking on La Redoute on this parcours is always gonna be doomed. If enough strong riders attack there, why not. The question is rather if enough riders are willing to go for a move like that.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I do think we should wait a year or two before coming to conclusions. The new route has been raced once so we don't really know yet how the average race on this route goes. Wasn't the first Ronde editions with the new finale also pretty much the worst the new route has seen and it got better the following years? I don't think attacking on La Redoute on this parcours is always gonna be doomed. If enough strong riders attack there, why not. The question is rather if enough riders are willing to go for a move like that.
I fear it's a fundamental difference between Flemish bergs and Walloon côtes that on the bergs a 30s advantage can be enough to get over the Kwaremont/Pater if you've already attacked, whereas if you're at your max before the RAF you just drop a minute there.

Richie Porte will win this bike race.
Probably not but a top 10 wouldn't surprise. His rides at the Worlds and at Fleche were surprisingly good and the Tour form seems to be holding. It's his last race of the season so a good performance wouldn't surprise. Lack of a sprint kills his chances to podium. He should attack long range and get some TT practice !

Would love to see Richie win. But Hirschi, Woods and Jungels will battle for this one. I think.

The tailwind on the return will make it ideal for groups to get away just before they get out of bastogne. And with a lillte rain and fair amount of wind things will go crazy around the return for liege.

Will be a great race. Enjoy

Reactions: SKSemtex
The way I see it, Hirschi is the stand-out favourite. The only weakness he has is inexperience.

5 stars: Hirschi
4 stars: Alaphilippe, Kwiatkowski
3 stars: Schachmann, Roglic, Woods, MVdP
2 stars: Caruso, Dumoulin, Pogacar, Barguil
1 star: Uran, Valgren, Porte, Dan Martin, Yates

I've just looked at the schedule

The home of cycling seems to be showing the giro instead

Am I right in saying there is nowhere sans online stream in England i can watch this monument?

Edit: Theyre showing the fking superbikes instead!!! HOME OF SUPERBIKES.

Anyone who has spent any significant time on this forum knows that the home of cycling IS the giro :p

I'll trade you Australia's live coverage of one day of LBL, for England's live coverage of twenty-one days of the Giro!

P.S. I believe those SUPERBIKES have motors. Take it to the clinic :laughing:

Reactions: TomLPC
Anyone who has spent any significant time on this forum knows that the home of cycling IS the giro :p

I'll trade you Australia's live coverage of one day of LBL, for England's live coverage of twenty-one days of the Giro!

P.S. I believe those SUPERBIKES have motors. Take it to the clinic :laughing:

On most days I'd rather have the Giro as Liege isn't really my cup of tea and there's a few footy games on as well, but it's a bit of a last 10k stage today and this doesn't bode well for Flanders or especially Roubaix as there's a Giro-Vuelta whopper on that Sunday. Plus you'll be taking that back when Richie lights things up.

The Brits tend not to give much of a toss outside the tour and the track, it's got a bit better in recent years but I vividly recall them eschewing big Vuelta mountain stages for pancake flat 200km ToB snoozefests, even with yo-yo vueltafroome riding.

Yeah you thought that and then he was like the 10th best rider on freaking Muro di Sormano.
LBL is absolutely within his possibilities if he's in top shape. I doubt he will 100% recover from today's effort though.
Let me rephrase that. A little too much to win it.

VDP himself when he says a race is too hard, he means a race is too hard to win. He doesn't think in terms of placing top 10.

On Danish TV they're talking about how the men and women have to share the coverage; with the women starting crazy early, so they can be done before the men start, because they're showing full-coverage of the men's race.
However, is that necessary? Surely they can show the finale - and preferably a bit more than just 30 Ks - of the women's race, while the men are in the early phases of their race. Of course if there's a route-issue then it's a different talk.

On Danish TV they're talking about how the men and women have to share the coverage; with the women starting crazy early, so they can be done before the men start, because they're showing full-coverage of the men's race.
However, is that necessary? Surely they can show the finale - and preferably a bit more than just 30 Ks - of the women's race, while the men are in the early phases of their race. Of course if there's a route-issue then it's a different talk.

In this race and FW it should definitely be possible to "skip" some of the men's coverage

That's how they do it on the Eurosport player. Showing the women's race until 13.00, then the men.

TRENDING THREADS