• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liège-Bastogne-Liège: October 4th, 2020

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's just great to see a race where you get a group of four getting clear of the rest 15km from the finish. The group consists of arguably the two best hilly classics riders in the World, the two best GC riders in the World and 20s behind them, chasing them down, one of the best and most talented classics riders of the generation (winner of BinckBank Tour). And then there are Kwiatkowski (arguably the most complete rider of the last decade) and MvDP (the most recent winner of BinckBank Tour) also in the mix doing the chase. It doesn't get better than that.

Dumoulin really putting all his energy into this burger :D

EjgC2iRXsAI39OX

Right back after a full pedal ride just past the giro stage and LBL, had to go riding after this and sending excuses to family :D 2020 is surely a special year.
Recently in another thread I stated that I was the idulgent observer speaking rider style gesticulating like Voeckler and Alaphillipe.
Think I should have clarified and added 'just as long when it doesn't have negatively impact on other riders'.
Ala's movements just past the 1K mark and finale sprint were ofcourse way past that limit.

Last edited:
Watching the replay I had the impression that, if not for Alaphilippe's behaviour, Pogacar was going to win.

3 riders in top4 of a monument nonetheless, not bad for a country of 2 million people.

I don‘t think so. He was going fastest at the time of the incident, yes, but Hirschi was just starting his acceleration. There was still quite a bit of sprint to go. We will never know though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That was impressive from Mohorič to bridge when nobody else in the chasing group could.

He'd bridge to anything on such descent. And I can understand his straight-to-the-front move after such effort, like a mad soldier against a whole army.
Anyway, Ala's switches and twitches in the last K's of a race have always been so distracting, it's getting more and more uncomfortable to watch the bigger he's become, maybe it has won him things one way or another, but it has always been certain that one day it would come back to bite him.

Alaphilippe seems incredibly tense throughout the final kilometres. Tons of turns of direction in the run-up to the sprint and then hazardous decisions in the sprint itself (both the swerve and the decision to celebrate much too early). He really seemed much more twitchy than usual.

Alaphilippe seems incredibly tense throughout the final kilometres. Tons of turns of direction in the run-up to the sprint and then hazardous decisions in the sprint itself (both the swerve and the decision to celebrate much too early). He really seemed much more twitchy than usual.

Maybe it was really nervousness, he seems to be under a lot of pressure this season and today especially. Would also explain his obsession with his bike again.
Or maybe I'm just being biased towards him at this point.

I have inside information that the REAL story went like this:

Roglic (2k before the finish):
"Julian, I want this win, I need it bad. I'll give you double the amount of money Vino gave to Kolobnev if you let me win! I realize I ask you the impossible, because I fear Hirschi and Pogacar will outsprint me, even if you stop your sprint early."

Alaphilippe: hold my beer.

TRENDING THREADS