• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liege Bastogne Liege-7 hour monument, Sunday, April 21, 2024

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • MVDP

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • MVDP

• Total voters
I see Pidcock managing to hang on to Pogačar on La Redoute if he is on a good day. But, he will more than likely be dropped before the finish.

As for Van der Poel, the only attack that I see him doing on La Redoute is a backwards one.

Like he did in Strade? The weather will be cool, the race even more hilly. Looking at what happened in SB I can't see anyone matching Pog when he decides to go solo.

Like he did in Strade? The weather will be cool, the race even more hilly. Looking at what happened in SB I can't see anyone matching Pog when he decides to go solo.

That is a possibility however I think that there is a chance that someone, most likely Pidcock, manages to hang on La Redoute or gets back in the descent like he did last year with Remco before getting dropped on the next climb.

Still, I would be really surprised if Pogačar doesn't arrive to the finish line solo.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Nothing to do with cycling but couldn't help but notice the 7th option in the poll has most votes. So the bots have not yet taken over:
View: https://twitter.com/infobeautiful/status/1778059112250589561

That is a possibility however I think that there is a chance that someone, most likely Pidcock, manages to hang on La Redoute or gets back in the descent like he did last year with Remco before getting dropped on the next climb.

Still, I would be really surprised if Pogačar doesn't arrive to the finish line solo.

Well, Pidcock is an excellent descender but there isn't much descending. A lot depends on how the race is ridden overall. If UAE sets brutal tempo on every climb then when Pog takes off others will be way more fatigued and the gap could increase very quickly (like in SB). Otherwise other guys may be able to catch up with Pog (likely only temporarily).

Reactions: Sciatic
I'm doing the 155km cyclo on Saturday. No Wanne, Rosier or Stockeu in the route (local towns don't want more than 500 people going through, which is not the case).

Looking forward to the Redoute and Roche aux Faucons, but already a bit nervous about my non-climbing gears. Will be a hard day but nice to do these climbs, always gives a better perspective when watching the race.

Cold, bit of rain (Pogacar luck merchanting), don't know what time. Wind straight from the north.
In all seriousness, headwind is good for Van der Poel. Probably bad for the race, I think it makes it more likely Pogacar waits for RaF or goes for a group sprint.

With this weather, Alpecin should use 2 dudes in the first 3 hours to go very hard on the flat first half towards Bastogne. Making it harder on the flat with a tailwind should favor MvdP over the mini climbers

I'm doing the 155km cyclo on Saturday. No Wanne, Rosier or Stockeu in the route (local towns don't want more than 500 people going through, which is not the case).

Looking forward to the Redoute and Roche aux Faucons, but already a bit nervous about my non-climbing gears. Will be a hard day but nice to do these climbs, always gives a better perspective when watching the race.

Wow sounds like such a blast. Have a blast sir i bet its gonne be such a memorable experience :D

Thats probably next on my bucketlist of races I want to ride. I also think I would do quite a lot better than I did in Flanders in all honesty, lol.

And yes, you are completely right: It does offer something quite else and unique when watching the actual race unfold the next day. You notice all kinds of stuff on the roads your riding that you never would have dreamt of just watching the race, studying the profiles, reading stuff about the race etc.

It just adds another element - I have certainly become a big, big fan of these big races doing a sportif on Sat and finishing off with the elite on Sunday. A great way to spend your weekend, and in all honesty, I couldn't possibly think of another better way of spending mine than exactly just that.

Great you can do that. As for the important matter: what refreshments do they have? :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Great you can do that. As for the important matter: what refreshments do they have? :)
There are 3 lengths: 79km, 155km and 253km. I guess it’s respectively 1,2 and 3 places with supplies like in every Belgian cyclo. Mostly a sponsor like Etixx in Brabantse Pijl last weekend with energy bars, fruit, waffles, cookies, candy, etc. Also water and an energy drink from Etixx. So you take food and drinks with you for 1/3 of the length and you refill/take with you what you need untill next stop or the finish.

Or did you meant something do drink afterwards like beer or so? Always some bars and tables to drink.

There are 3 lengths: 79km, 155km and 253km. I guess it’s respectively 1,2 and 3 places with supplies like in every Belgian cyclo. Mostly a sponsor like Etixx in Brabantse Pijl last weekend with energy bars, fruit, waffles, cookies, candy, etc. Also water and an energy drink from Etixx. So you take food and drinks with you for 1/3 of the length and you refill/take with you what you need untill next stop or the finish.

Or did you meant something do drink afterwards like beer or so? Always some bars and tables to drink.
Thanks, I meant during the ride, and it sounds like there’s a good spread. A few beers after are a nice reward as well :)

Reactions: Didinho
In all seriousness, headwind is good for Van der Poel. Probably bad for the race, I think it makes it more likely Pogacar waits for RaF or goes for a group sprint.

With this weather, Alpecin should use 2 dudes in the first 3 hours to go very hard on the flat first half towards Bastogne. Making it harder on the flat with a tailwind should favor MvdP over the mini climbers
I think if Pogacar wants to attack on La Redoute UAE will just make the race hard enough so the wind doesn't matter too much. I feel like headwind is only an issue for Pogacar if teams still have the numbers to make a proper leadout into RaF. If there are like two helpers chasing him I think it's probably already over.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think if Pogacar wants to attack on La Redoute UAE will just make the race hard enough so the wind doesn't matter too much. I feel like headwind is only an issue for Pogacar if teams still have the numbers to make a proper leadout into RaF. If there are like two helpers chasing him I think it's probably already over.
Headwind is what makes group clot together.

Besides, it makes it also less trivial for Pogacar to drop all the others in the first place. It also makes the peloton go slower and thus nerf Pogacars edge in fatigue resistance and flat engine in the final 4h of the race.

There's a reason everyone has waited for RaF before Evenepoel and it's not because Redoute is a naturally great place to attack. And besides, both Evenepoel attacks were with a tailwind IIRC

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
He will attack coming out of Liège and will have amassed such an advantage by Stockeu that he can carry a massive boulder up to the Merckx monument and replace it with a monument of himself, then he will catch back up to Van der Poel and beat him in the sprint.

Or maybe he'll attack out of Liège, then go hide in a bush and reappear when the peloton returns from Bastogne.

Headwind is what makes group clot together.

Besides, it makes it also less trivial for Pogacar to drop all the others in the first place. It also makes the peloton go slower and thus nerf Pogacars edge in fatigue resistance and flat engine in the final 4h of the race.

There's a reason everyone has waited for RaF before Evenepoel and it's not because Redoute is a naturally great place to attack. And besides, both Evenepoel attacks were with a tailwind IIRC
Like yeah, I see most of your points, but to me this feels like a race where UAE and Pogacar will say, let's take no prisoners and try to make a hard race setting up a long attack. I think when riders are clearly superior this has been the tactic of choice lately and I think Pogacar will be clearly superior. The headwind will be there, but it's not crazy strong and if almost everyone is on their own after La Redoute it just doesn't play that big of a role.