• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lloyd Mondory

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From Google Translate

Vincent Lavenu after the announcement of the positive control for EPO Mondery Lloyd: "I am ashamed, I am ashamed, I am ashamed. I think I am no longer able to do this job here, in these conditions. It's too hard. Too much work. Too much of a lifetime investment. The bike is my life. I can not, I can not. It is a mixture of shame, betrayal, the team will be dirty, it's not fair.

He called, he wept, but his explanations do not suit me, I told him that he must tell the truth, do not hide behind excuses. It should not stop the team because there are people who are worth, best sponsors, but I can not stand it.

It is a betrayal at all levels. It's a real failure. These are moments that we would never want to live every moment we dread a call from the UCI (announcing bad news). It can all happen, the worst thing is that the team is exploding. "

Reading this I wonder if there is a protocol. A sort of playbook that is supposed to be followed by riders, management and ultimately sponsors.

If the rider is busted he has to say he acted alone if he wants to continue his career in the sport after he hangs it up.

Next the DS has to feign outrage. Lavenu's statement sort of reminds me of Hans-Michael Holczer of Gerolsteiner. I have no idea this is going on inside my team.

The sponsor says to the public - "Hey, we're paying you a lot of money and we're disappointed with this bad PR." But behind closed doors They are saying, "Hey we need to get our investment back. Do whatever it takes to win."

Vicious. Repeated. Cycle.

WildspokeJoe said:
Such a shame that he gets caught the one time he tried it. Those single moments of weakness have consequences.

Comment Checklist:

Vincent Lavenu will be disappointed and is certain that this is an isolated incident.

AG2R as a team had nothing to do with this renegade action and is committed to a clean team and peloton.

It's time to stop looking towards the past and embrace this new generation of riders that can win clean.

Need a full bullsh*t bingo card for post positive statements.

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
this is hillarious. another nail in the new clean generation coffin surely.

I mean, if a french nobody is doping in this day and age, why would anyone else be cleans.

my thoughts exactly.

why are these french nobodies and astana C team schmoes NOT (edit) smashing everyone when doping???

the sceptic said:

I mean, if a french nobody is doping in this day and age, why would anyone else be cleans.

Yes. Maybe. No.

The French federation has a new-ish President has a wide number of positions way beyond his role in France including Management Committee member.

He too was selling the Sky/BC USPS/USAC model as the way forward for French cycling. My hope is leadership at the federation isn't putting athletes in jeapordy as USAC denies doing despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
He got caught two days after Classica Almeria where he finished a very decent 7th.
Then he still races 4 races after that: Trofeo Laiguegli (58th), Omloop (DNF), K-B-K (90th) and Strade Bianche (79th at more than 20 mins.)

Not sure what to make of this.
POssible scenario:
He dopes up with EPO for Almeria, and in such quantities that he still glows 2 days afterwards when he gets OOC-d.
The OOC scares him and he goes cleans for the next coupla races?

sniper said:
He got caught two days after Classica Almeria where he finished a very decent 7th.
Then he still races 4 races after that: Trofeo Laiguegli (58th), Omloop (DNF), K-B-K (90th) and Strade Bianche (79th at more than 20 mins.)

Not sure what to make of this.
POssible scenario:
He dopes up with EPO for Almeria, and in such quantities that he still glows 2 days afterwards when he gets OOC-d.
The OOC scares him and he goes cleans for the next coupla races?

Interesting question. He might have known that he was going to get nabbed and basically was playing out the string.

Or maybe he was the team leader for Almeria and a domo for the other races.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
the sceptic said:

But what exactly happened? Microdosing screwed up, or just a plain stupid IQ test failed (=no sophisticated team/doctor support)? Or maybe even something new in the testing department?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
WildspokeJoe said:
Interesting question. He might have known that he was going to get nabbed and basically was playing out the string.

Or maybe he was the team leader for Almeria and a domo for the other races.

Working for someone else, or training hard to be get on the TdF squad.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
GuyIncognito said:
As I've said many times, AG2R have a very shady reputation, particularly within France. This shouldn't be a surprise.

A team with a former mountain biker that performed very well in a GT during the 'clean' era.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
shalgo said:

Only idiots do get ban for EPO these days (unless there is some new testing) therefore Mondory is a pure moron.

Looking at the list once again after some time, the real winner around here must be Popovich as he was listed at 10 and yet, somehow (probably good "training" from the Lance era), he is happily pedaling around and keeping pretty low profile.

Good job Popo! :eek:

WildspokeJoe said:
If the rider is busted he has to say he acted alone if he wants to continue his career in the sport after he hangs it up.

He's about to turn 33 and has won two stages of minor races since 2008. When he finishes a ban he'll be 35 or even 37 and will have an EPO positive on his record. He's not coming back as a pro rider. Who exactly is going to give him a shot as a DS over the dozens of retired riders looking for the same job who have some DS experience and no embarrassing positive?

What are these "careers in the sport" that low profile ex domestiques with doping bans can allegedly expect to be offered if they keep quiet?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:

What are these "careers in the sport" that low profile ex domestiques with doping bans can allegedly expect to be offered if they keep quiet?

See Pietro Caucchioli.

He now works for Ale bike wear.

Benotti69 said:
See Pietro Caucchioli.

He now works for Ale bike wear.

Did they also hire Sylvain Georges and Steve Houanard?

A lot of people extrapolate from the post ban treatment Floyd Landis expected or hoped for from Disco to a world where peripheral nobodies on smaller budget teams will be looked after for life if they keep quiet. This forgets (a) that Landis didn't get his job, that (b) the outfit he was hoping would look after him was the richest team in the history of the sport run by people with huge influence across the sport, (c) that he was one of the core participants in the doping scheme, knowing where each and every body was buried, and (d) that he himself was a big name. Landis had everything going for him in this regard and he still got nothing. He was unlucky enough to be dealing with ingrates, but there are lots of ingrates in the sport and few returning dopers with anything like Landis' bargaining position.

If a rider actually has a team or star over a barrel, they may get lucky.

roundabout said:
How often he touched the stuff is an interesting question. Some people think that he has a bad reputation going back as far as his amateur days.

What "people" ?

Heard Lavenu on the radio, the man was in shock, no "storybook" stuff AFAICT. Since Mondori doesn't appear to have anything more to lose let's hope he comes "clean"...

TRENDING THREADS