• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Madfiber

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
How much would it cost to replace a spoke? Let alone the time need to ship the things to the manufacture and back for repairs. I think I'll stick with wheels that have non proprietary SS spokes.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yes, the whole bonded thing worries me as well. Ric Hjertberg is the last person I thought that would get involved in something like this. The true test is going to be in international racing. Unless this happens it's just going to be another look-at-me and my expensive boutique wheels.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
We need to look at Ric's history. So he knows wheels that's for sure, but the products he's been involved with kind of suck. Wheelsmith spokes are mediocre at best, FSA wheels are absolute crap. So, does all this pomp and circumstance about Madfiber being the "future" (self proclaimed by the way) really add up? They look really cool to me, but that's about it. All being said, I do dig those wood rims he distros. :D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't get it. You can certainly get carbon rims with normal spokes in the 1000g weight range. Why risk something like carbon spokes? Didn't Mavic have some problems with the ksyriums that had carbon spokes?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mavic R-Sys Wheels
14.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Don't get this confused with the Mavic R-Sys debacle. Both have carbon spokes, but an entirely different design.. You don't even need to have carbon spokes to have massive fail, HED had some major failures of their wheels last season with stainless spokes.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
BroDeal said:
There was a thread about these on the Velonews forum. People were skeptical about how the spokes are bonded to the hub. Looks like a possible repeat of those deathtrap Spinergy wheels.

Bartoli's knee cap 1999. Ouch! Madfiber says no truing needed, so did Spinergy I think. I've trued those Spingergys before in a woodworking vice with a rubber mallet. :D