• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Malori against CIRC suggested night-time testing

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tonton said:
I read the pros and cons on this thread, and I'm not going to contribute much by giving my opinion. First, for a guy like me who sleeps like a rock, you can knock at the door as much as you want, I won't wake up. The testers would need to bring the door down using a jack hammer. Then I wake up; chances are I'll be pi$$ed off and turn into a angry Bernard Hinault. All this to say that many riders, clean or not, would resent it. Come on: who wants to be disturbed after a 200K stage, when your body aches and yearns for rest, after you found a good spot in that tired hotel bed and finally crash?

Why not spend the money on R&D, and perform more retro-testing? THAT is a deterrent. Or pay guys to do the trash and/or watch/spy? A little surveillance would have exposed motoman back in the days...
Good post, +1

May 19, 2010
Visit site
According to the president of AFDL (the French anti-doping agency) night-time testing isn't allowed in France. So presumably there hasn't been any knocking on doors after 23.00 (after the TdF peloton came to France, God knows what the rules are like in the Netherlands and Belgium).
A new World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code of conduct allows tests on athletes “at any time.” The code is not yet effective in France however, because of a debate over the legal terms used, which could make a night raid controversial. A government decree is not expected until after the race finishes. The French anti-doping agency, the AFLD, is responsible for Tour de France tests on behalf of the UCI’s independent anti-doping foundation.

“Nighttime controls are not allowed by French law at the moment,” AFLD president Bruno Genevois told AFP. “But one should not be dogmatic on the topic. There are not only tests. We can work with the gendarmerie and the customs service if there is information that suggests irresponsible behavior,” he added. “We are allowed to do tests from 6 a.m., and if we have information, we can rely on the customs and the gendarmes,” Genevois said.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/wada-to-start-conducting-night-raids-to-catch-doping_376978