• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Marc Hirschi discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A month ago, the average response to this guy was (I would suggest) "That's a weak team that Sunweb have put together, but probably good to give Hirschi his forst taste of a GT with no expectations." Since then he has gone from "good try but you were never going to win" (stage 2) through the biggest sympathy wave in cycling for many years (stage 9) to marginally patronising being pleased for him (stage 12) to being proposed as a chance for every remaining stage bar Paris, to being widely tipped for, and delivering on, a high place in the World Championships (while still qualified for the U23 event, so maybe he wouldn't have even been in today's race if the events hadn't been rapidly rescheduled). And now suggested as a favourite for the 'Spring' classics.

Quite a month.

A month ago, the average response to this guy was (I would suggest) "That's a weak team that Sunweb have put together, but probably good to give Hirschi his forst taste of a GT with no expectations." Since then he has gone from "good try but you were never going to win" (stage 2) through the biggest sympathy wave in cycling for many years (stage 9) to marginally patronising being pleased for him (stage 12) to being proposed as a chance for every remaining stage bar Paris, to being widely tipped for, and delivering on, a high place in the World Championships (while still qualified for the U23 event, so maybe he wouldn't have even been in today's race if the events hadn't been rapidly rescheduled). And now suggested as a favourite for the 'Spring' classics.

Quite a month.

Well, I had thought this could be his big break out year, but then his early spring was kind of underwhelming, and I guess people did not expect much from him anymore this year, thinking he's just to young (and maybe by people I mean me?) In German speaking media he was quite the hype from the second Tour- stage on, they were even a bit disappointed Alaphilippe took it in the end and pointed out his perfect descending line (not the fact that he hardly worked with Ala and Yates, lol). I don't know how long he can hold his form but he sure has all the qualities.

Well, I had thought this could be his big break out year, but then his early spring was kind of underwhelming, and I guess people did not expect much from him anymore this year, thinking he's just to young (and maybe by people I mean me?) In German speaking media he was quite the hype from the second Tour- stage on, they were even a bit disappointed Alaphilippe took it in the end and pointed out his perfect descending line (not the fact that he hardly worked with Ala and Yates, lol). I don't know how long he can hold his form but he sure has all the qualities.

This could be Sunweb's issue in the future if they follow the TDF template - They did little work in the breaks which will not be allowed in the future.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well he was screwed big time. We'll never know if he would have won, but he at least he took it with grace.

On IG he mentions that he will enjoy his off season now, so I guess no Flanders.
I think him winning would've been the most likely. He was stopped worse than Pogacar, and easily finished ahead of him. And I don't think Alaphilippe makes that move unless he needs it. Given that Roglic was so close before Ala started celebrating I don't think his sprint was that good.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I like him and his post-race attitude was very composed and mature, however I feel the narrative is a bit forgiving towards him. He avoided to do any work in the group. That is in line with what I have seen from him the past races. The only turns he took were the ones Alaphilippe practically forced him into, and then he did them so slowly that Ala went to the front again after a few strokes because they were losing time everytime Hirschi was on the front.
Ala was the more established rider and the WC, so you could say it was his duty to work, but Roglic and Pogacar did way more work than Marc. Then in the end maybe he would have won, but then that was not about pure strength, but about him getting into an advantagious position, forcing Alaphilippe into the lead. I suppose Ala, after Amstel last year, was afraid of van der Poel, and rightly so.

Hirschi's very clever and knows how to ride a race, especially for his age. But I wonder how long he will be able to do this. You cannot always hide like this in groups in the long run.

Reactions: yaco
I like him and his post-race attitude was very composed and mature, however I feel the narrative is a bit forgiving towards him.
what forgiving narrative? He was in prime position to win his first Monument and was screwed by another rider's unsportsmanlike maneuver in the most important moment of the race. The amount of work he did in the group has absolutely nothing to do with this.

It almost feels like you think he deserved to be punished for the way he raced.

what forgiving narrative? He was in prime position to win his first Monument and was screwed by another rider's unsportsmanlike maneuver in the most important moment of the race. The amount of work he did in the group has absolutely nothing to do with this.

It almost feels like you think he deserved to be punished for the way he raced.

Not at all do I think he should be "punished". I was rather replying to posts like that of Pippo San (but in other threads as well), that Hirschi was the strongest. Maybe he was the strongest, but to me it looked like first of all he managed things "the best". Then I was really asking myself how often you can do that if you have a very good sprint, before other riders will be annoyed. It might pay back negatively in the future.

But yes, my judgement may be a bit clouded there, because I don't like it if riders do that repeatedly. And I have to admit, I was concentrated on hoping van der Poel would not catch them, because I do not like him much, so maybe I was annoyed a bit more than usual by Hirschi not working hard.

Then I was really asking myself how often you can do that if you have a very good sprint, before other riders will be annoyed. It might pay back negatively in the future.

Very soon methinks. I reckon He'd win a few more races this way before the peleton starts to take notice of His very good sprint in a reduced bunch. His saving grace is that the people He'd most likely be with at the business end of races would either be happy to do the work(Ala,Pog and Rog) or are smply better sprinters(Wva and Mdvp) so would be required to do the Lion share of the work.

I like Hirshi though. He is making use of one of His best weapons to His advantage.

I like him and his post-race attitude was very composed and mature, however I feel the narrative is a bit forgiving towards him. He avoided to do any work in the group. That is in line with what I have seen from him the past races. The only turns he took were the ones Alaphilippe practically forced him into, and then he did them so slowly that Ala went to the front again after a few strokes because they were losing time everytime Hirschi was on the front.
Ala was the more established rider and the WC, so you could say it was his duty to work, but Roglic and Pogacar did way more work than Marc. Then in the end maybe he would have won, but then that was not about pure strength, but about him getting into an advantagious position, forcing Alaphilippe into the lead. I suppose Ala, after Amstel last year, was afraid of van der Poel, and rightly so.

Hirschi's very clever and knows how to ride a race, especially for his age. But I wonder how long he will be able to do this. You cannot always hide like this in groups in the long run.

Ha Ha - I posted the same at the conclusion of the TDF - Once Sunweb riders got into the decisive break they did no work - This has a short shelf life.

Reactions: Naico
In his new clothes

ErS5iCmWMAMudon

ErSYRF-XIAI97rm

TRENDING THREADS