• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Marco Pantani?

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
This guy was around a couple years before I began watching cycling. I was just wondering why there is still such a strong following with him? I have done some research on him and he seemed to be a big doper and really the poster boy of the era that cycling wanted to end. I never saw him race so I don't really understand why he is so likable.

Clemson Cycling said:
This guy was around a couple years before I began watching cycling. I was just wondering why there is still such a strong following with him? I have done some research on him and he seemed to be a big doper and really the poster boy of the era that cycling wanted to end. I never saw him race so I don't really understand why he is so likable.

I went to his home town recently in Cesenatico. It’s a sleepy beach town and a little naff. Think Blackpool in Italy but with much much better food (and women).

In each and every cafe, bar and restaurant was a photo of the man himself. Next to a picture of Jesus.

I was told the day he attacked Ullrich in the 98 Tour everyone ran from their shops, bars and homes to the beach where they had large screens erected. They crowd were shouting "Pantani, attacco, attacco!" in football like chants.

He is held up like a God. A good description of him is “quixotic”. The Times in London gave him this title and best describes the man.

Italians like mixed up people. Otherwise they wouldn't have voted for Berlusconi. As much as they want to take Berlusconi down they also admire him for using every single dodgy method to stay in power. It's the Italian way.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
He was a shy, unusual racer, unusual in the way he could go up hills, as well as being physically unusual.
He was certainly amazing to watch race, but he obviously had issues at various points of his career. His early death cemented him as a legend.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:

Many ask the same question about Armstrong.

Pantani never tested positive.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Italians are very passionate about all sports and cycling is still hugely popular in Italy.

I have watched many races throughout Europe but I was struck by the passion and knowledge of the Italian fans or casual roadside spectator has.
In Italy they even have a name for those passionate fans called the tifosi.

After the second World war Italy was in the depths of a depression but two of their cyclists - Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali - were flying the Italian flag at all the major races throughout Europe.
Cycling was looked at as more than a sport - Coppi & Bartalis achievements were used as a symbol to restore pride back in to Italy

Of course in typical Italian fashion many supporters sided with one rider over the other - causing huge debate among the tifosi.

Pantani was admired because of his attacking climbing style and his panache on the bike. His shy personality and large ears endeared him to the public.

He was a popular winner of the Giro in 1998 but he was elevated to superstar status when he became the first Italian to win the Tour later that same year.

If you are interested in the history of cycling than a browse of either Coppi or Bartali's career would be a great place to start.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:

He was a quirky looking little guy (his looks were one of the big factors which made him appealing) who had the ability to make things happen. He added excitement to the racing whenever the roads started to point upward.

In the TdFs before he won there wasn't a great deal of excitement, at least not since Lemond beat Fignon in the final stage time trial into Paris. Indurain, Riis and Ullrich were all a bit boring to watch. They won, and did so pretty convincingly, but it wasn't exciting...little flair.

That's what Pantani brought.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:
He was a shy, unusual racer, unusual in the way he could go up hills, as well as being physically unusual.
He was certainly amazing to watch race, but he obviously had issues at various points of his career. His early death cemented him as a legend.

Isn't it possible the doping actually killed him?

A

Anonymous

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
That's a very interesting interpretation, of the facts. Are you really comfortable with your double standard?

Sarcasm doesn't always translate well

The OP is a staunch defender of the Armstrong myth, yet was able to conclude that Pantani was a doper by doing "some research". Just pointing out the duplicity of his position.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
That's a very interesting interpretation, of the facts. Are you really comfortable with your double standard?

Pantani never tested positive. he was removed from the 99 Giro for having an elevated crit of 50.1%.
Any rider who went above 50% was 'suspended' for two weeks for health reasons. It was never a sanction - so it is a fact.

I dont think anyone is denying the other point though. But that should be discussed in the Clinic.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Cycling was looked at as more than a sport - Coppi & Bartalis achievements were used as a symbol to restore pride back in to Italy

bartali even prevented civil war by winning the tour in 48!

/ontopic:

apart from the italian sports mentality pantani was the exact opposite of the posterboy you describe.
the posterboy of the epo-era was the 90kg sprinter who couldn't get his fat *** over the kemmelberg in 1992 and in 1993 suddenly rode along with the best on the tourmalet. preferably on a 54*12 or something like that. no attacking, just putting in power.

pantani was one of a few old style climbers who dared the powerhouses by attacking every time the road went up. the old fashioned pinches every km that eventually got everybody on their back.
that and his personality is why people love him.
the almost religious adoration is italy at it's finest. from the moment they stole the '99 giro from him, he (and the italian media) portrayed him(self) as a martyr. the one that had to take the fall for an entire generation because the public wanted to see heads roll after the festina-debacle. He was the best climber of his generation (auto godlike status in italy), he was a nice but mentally weak guy and 'they' exploited and killed him.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Isn't it possible the doping actually killed him?

This certainly could be argued.

Although the biggest reason for his mental decline and use of cocaine was because he was bitter at having been singled out and abandoned by the same people who had prospered during his rise to fame.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:

A good read is "The Death of Marco Pantani" by Matt Rendell. Meticulously researched and very well written. Sad story though

Clemson Cycling said:

Marco was a genius, one and only Il Pirata, best climber ever... that's all

Dr. Maserati said:
He was a popular winner of the Giro in 1998 but he was elevated to superstar status when he became the first Italian to win the Tour later that same year.

You are wrong my friend !? Why the name 928 for a famous Bianchi model ? The 9 and 2 come from the years 1949 & 1952 when Coppi won Giro & Tour de France and the 8 represents the year 1998 when it was won Marco Pantani.

R.I.P. Il Pirata

105282-pantani.jpg

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
You are correct Zen- I should have stated that Pantani was a massive star before 98 - a superstar for the Giro and immortal for doing the double.

Clem is reasonably new to cycling in comparison to you and I and I think he fails to understand just how much sport means in the daily lives of normal Italians.

Some years ago i went on a tour of the San Siro stadium- the home of both A.C. Milan & Inter Milan. The tour guide was a young attractive Milanise lady and I asked her who she supported. She said she had no preference and she didnt follow soccer. I kept pressing her until a good while later she leaned in and barely whispered "Meeelan" (ie AC Milan).

In Italy no-one is neutral when it comes to sport.

Dr. Maserati said:
Some years ago i went on a tour of the San Siro stadium- the home of both A.C. Milan & Inter Milan.

Well probably you don't know but official name is the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza ( if you an Inter Milan fan ) or the San Siro ( the stadium is in the San Siro district ) if you an AC Milan fan because they don't want to use Inter's iconic player ( Giuseppe "Peppino" Meazza ) for the name of their stadium :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Marco was an exciting rider to watch with one of the most beautiful riding styles. Such a tragic end for a talented and loved rider.

RIP Marco

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Zen Master said:
Well probably you don't know but official name is the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza ( if you an Inter Milan fan ) or the San Siro ( the stadium is in the San Siro district ) if you an AC Milan fan because they don't want to use Inter's iconic player ( Giuseppe "Peppino" Meazza ) for the name of their stadium :D

Ha - I found that out just before I did my first trip there!

Zen Master said:
Marco was a genius, one and only Il Pirata, best climber ever... that's all

I am sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. Marco Pantani was a borderline paranoid schizophrenic and megalomaniac who addressed himself in the third person, and was renowned for his manic episodes. He more than likely never raced a single event in his professional career without the benefit of a "program", much less ever won anything through un-enhanced effort.

I met and spoke with him through an interpreter at the 2001 Giro. He was quite frankly a Whacko, and was tolerated by his peers with the classic mix of respect and disdain reserved for the brilliance of an idiot savant.

I have seen him climb Dolomite passes in the big chain ring. His achievements on the bike are a simple testament to what exceptional talent and a fully regimented program can attain. To hold him up as an example of athletic excellence is the ultimate double standard.

TRENDING THREADS