• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone else see Mario Aerts off the front of the peloton at Liege yesterday?

I was on the Roche aux Faucons at about 20km to go. Mario Aerts (no.22) came past about 1 or 2 minutes before Schleck and Gilbert did. No TV camera and in a really relaxed manner - he was not racing! Watched back my recording of the race and there's no mention of him, he hadn't attacked etc and I see he's listed "DNF" on the classification. Slightly strange. Anyone know anything?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Saved by the Belgium said:
Anyone else see Mario Aerts off the front of the peloton at Liege yesterday?

I was on the Roche aux Faucons at about 20km to go. Mario Aerts (no.22) came past about 1 or 2 minutes before Schleck and Gilbert did. No TV camera and in a really relaxed manner - he was not racing! Watched back my recording of the race and there's no mention of him, he hadn't attacked etc and I see he's listed "DNF" on the classification. Slightly strange. Anyone know anything?

He did his job before La Redoute and then took a shortcut to Liège. No big deal, happens all the time.

they let them take shortcuts along the race route? that's a bit strange... couldnt you just wait for the bunch and discreetly join it again? Still had his race numbers on.

Also noticed one of the poor Androni Giocattoli riders right off the back, even behind the voiture balai. I thought the broom wagon was meant to sit right at the end, if necessary on the wheel of the last rider? That's always how I remember seeing it on TdF mountain stages, even where the guy was clearly gonna be outside the time limit.

Latest posts