• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Parrulo said:
1002024_10152063263759435_1168867086_n.jpg

"Cav this is Pie, Pie this is Cav.

I will leave you 2 alone, i think you will have a great off season" :p

get-pic.php

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing what Cav can do at this years TDF, he was a little defeatist after Kittel took stage wins and he's going to have to reinvent himself if he wants to continue to be a relevant power in the field.

Are we going to see Cav back in winning form for the TDF, I know he's got his first stage win of the season but is he going to have a season like he did in 2011?

SaxonUK said:
Looking forward to seeing what Cav can do at this years TDF, he was a little defeatist after Kittel took stage wins and he's going to have to reinvent himself if he wants to continue to be a relevant power in the field.

Are we going to see Cav back in winning form for the TDF, I know he's got his first stage win of the season but is he going to have a season like he did in 2011?

He will surely be in winning form, but the competition is just quite a bit stronger than it was between 2008-2011.

Not sure why Renshaw didn't lead Cav out but I'm confident that Renshaw's already practising his headbutting technique in preparation for Paris-Nice and the Classics. Now he's at OPQS, Tom Steels can teach him how to throw bottles in a sprint too.

Kittel and Greipel won't know what hit them :D

Jspear said:
Anyone know what the order of their leadout will be come TdF? In his first stage win this year Petacchi was the last guy to lead him out. Is there a reason Renshaw didn't do it?

Don't even think the team is quite there yet.
Cav-Renshaw-Petacchi-Boonen-Kwiatkowski-Martin-Bakelandts-Terpstra-Stybar maybe?
Steegmans and Trentin looked quite good by the end of last season so they might still have a chance to become a part of the train. Boonen i would think will be pretty far down in the order because i don't think he will spend as much time working on the timing as Renshaw, Petacchi, Steegmans and Trentin, but then again he is faster than they are, perhaps Boonen will be put on Cav's whell to keep it clean of Germans and such, not a popular tactic these days, but could be worth a try.

Anyway the most important thing, IMO, for OPQS(and Lotto) is that they get GS to take more responsibility in the build up to the sprint and in chasing the breakaway.

42x16ss said:
Not sure why Renshaw didn't lead Cav out but I'm confident that Renshaw's already practising his headbutting technique in preparation for Paris-Nice and the Classics. Now he's at OPQS, Tom Steels can teach him how to throw bottles in a sprint too.

Kittel and Greipel won't know what hit them :D

In addition, Renshaw, having spent a season with Bos at Rabobank-Blanco-Belking-Fail-Whatever, brings with him the Bos Nuclear Option in a sprint. Caution: Think first as this can generally only be used once.

The full arsenal. :D

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
My leadout order for the Tour would be Martin, Meersman, Trentin, Steegmans, Boonen, Petachhi, Renshaw. Not sure who I would select as the rouleur to chase down breaks at the moment.

Bernie's eyesore said:
My leadout order for the Tour would be Martin, Meersman, Trentin, Steegmans, Boonen, Petachhi, Renshaw. Not sure who I would select as the rouleur to chase down breaks at the moment.

And What about Kwiatkowski ?

Doubt that OPQS will put a team only for Cav, with noone able to help Kwiato.

Cav, Kwiatkowski, Martin, Boonen, Renshaw, Uran, Terpstra, Stybar, Trentin maybe something like that

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Jspear said:
Anyone know what the order of their leadout will be come TdF? In his first stage win this year Petacchi was the last guy to lead him out. Is there a reason Renshaw didn't do it?

I would keep Petacchi as last lead out and Renshaw as second last. At HTC, Renshaw tended to be the second last lead out man with Goss being the last guy to lead Cav out.

The idea of using Boonen (or Terpstra) to protect Cav's back wheel is a good one.

My team would be:
Kwiatkowski, Bakelants, Stybar, Terpstra, Martin, Boonen, Renshaw, Petacchi, Cav

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I doubt we'll see Uran at the Tour. He'll take a spot away from someone that would be in Cav's leadout. Plus Giro-Vuelta just makes more sense, and it will help him peak for worlds better. Since he could have won last year if it wasn't for that crash.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
That makes sense. With Uran, Kwiat, Poels, De Gendt, Bakelants, Martin, Stybar and maybe Pauwels & Serry, they could form an over average GC team. But I'd take a podium at the Giro/Vuelta (+green and some stages at the tour) over an 8th spot at the TdF GC any time.