• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
Actually, I would say that Cav has something many British sports people seem to lack and that is a single minded (verging on bloody minded) winning mentality.

Kind of essential for a winner, ain't it? ;) I think he handles it pretty well, compared to some others. Meh - I like Cav, and I hope he gets the first yellow jersey this year. I'm glad to see OPQS has stepped up to the plate on giving him the support to do what he does best.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
What are the rules on the Yellow before there's a time gap?

Does the winner of first stage keep it till they lose time, or will it go on lowest cumulative finishing positions, or something else?

First stage winner gets the initial yellow jersey and then keeps it until they lose time.

En cas d’égalité de temps au classement
général, les centièmes de seconde
enregistrés par les chronométreurs lors
des épreuves contre la montre «individuel»
sont réincorporés dans le temps total pour
départager les coureurs et décider de
l’attribution du Maillot Jaune. En cas de
nouvelle égalité, il est fait appel à l’addition
des places obtenues à chaque étape et, en
dernier ressort, à la place obtenue dans la
dernière étape disputée.

By my pidgeon French, I make that TT is the tie breaker (not relevant), then cumulative finishing positions, so the will be fought over all 3 days.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
En cas d’égalité de temps au classement
général, les centièmes de seconde
enregistrés par les chronométreurs lors
des épreuves contre la montre «individuel»
sont réincorporés dans le temps total pour
départager les coureurs et décider de
l’attribution du Maillot Jaune. En cas de
nouvelle égalité, il est fait appel à l’addition
des places obtenues à chaque étape et, en
dernier ressort, à la place obtenue dans la
dernière étape disputée.

By my pidgeon French, I make that TT is the tie breaker (not relevant), then cumulative finishing positions, then the position in the last contested stage. so the will be fought over all 3 days.

Precised it a bit.
So, to make it clear: if Cavendish wins the first 2 stages and finishes 3rd in the 3rd and Sagan finishes 2nd, 2nd, 1st; Sagan wil get the yellow jersey after stage 3, as their cumulative finish positions are the same (1+1+3 = 2+2+1), but Sagans result in the last contested stage is better than Cav's.

I am not convinced that stage 2 will be a Cav day. A 4.6km climb where Cannondale will murder it, then what looks like a long descent, before another climb where attacks will be very numerous because of a hint of yellow, so pace will be high. Not impossible mind, but Sagan will be favourite to take Yellow I think:

Poursuivant said:
I am not convinced that stage 2 will be a Cav day. A 4.6km climb where Cannondale will murder it, then what looks like a long descent, before another climb where attacks will be very numerous because of a hint of yellow, so pace will be high. Not impossible mind, but Sagan will be favourite to take Yellow I think:

Would love to see Cannondale go full power early on the stage, but what about the team? Can these guys

SAGAN Peter
CARUSO Damiano
MOSER Moreno
BODNAR Maciej
DA DALTO Mauro
HAEDO Lucas Sebastian
KING Edward
KOREN Kristjan
RATTO Daniele
VANDBORG Brian

hammer at the front for 100km and drop the heavies for good? And would they get any help from say Sky (EBH opportunity) or maybe RLT (Gallopin) along the way?

Stage 2 is one of better designed "flat" stages imo.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm really curious into what Cannondale will do in stage 2 and 3.

I think we'll get fireworks on the climbs, sagan can survive this easily even with a extreme hard pace. Sagan himself might just make stage 2 and 3 entertaining.

I don't think cav will be able to hang on then (stage 2). Stage 3 is a no no for sure, no way he'll survive that hill at the end.

It'll be interesting for sure.

I don't think that Cav will have pencilled stage 3 in his diary, but I can see him being in the mix in stage 2, although I don't have him down as favourite.

I will be very interested to see how Cannondale get on. Other than Sagan, I'm not wholly convinced by the team, and I don't think they'll be getting any help from Sky. But other than Sagan, do Cannondale need to be that convincing?

1002024_10152063263759435_1168867086_n.jpg

"Cav this is Pie, Pie this is Cav.

I will leave you 2 alone, i think you will have a great off season" :p

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:
1002024_10152063263759435_1168867086_n.jpg

"Cav this is Pie, Pie this is Cav.

I will leave you 2 alone, i think you will have a great off season" :p

I was watching the documentary on him last year and he gained 4-5kg straight after the Giro ended.

He puts on the weight easily.

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Without knowing, I would swear Cav couldn't be a pro cyclist.

I have heard stories of some of the top guys on the track having to ride off a second chin. I know track is track.

The best guy I know to race fat was Dario Pieri. Looked like a desk job weekend warrior but had some very good placings in the classics.

trenton-pieri_600.jpg

TRENDING THREADS