• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
spalco said:
I would guess the number of football players who scored 100 goals in their career is easily in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands; 100 wins for a pro-cyclist has got to be much rarer.

Oh yeah, and by the standards of some people in this forum, Cavendish isn't even British. :D
ATM with Petacchi's retirement, Boonen is the only other active rider with 100+ wins. Greipel will get there pretty soon as he is at ~95 wins. Cavendish is literally years ahead of Petacchi and even Boonen in terms of reaching that milestone though.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
EvansIsTheBest said:
ATM with Petacchi's retirement, Boonen is the only other active rider with 100+ wins. Greipel will get there pretty soon as he is at ~95 wins. Cavendish is literally years ahead of Petacchi and even Boonen in terms of reaching that milestone though.

Greipel celebrated 100 wins at Tour Down Under this year I think.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Cav is really pyssed!

" I couldn't stop at that point because the commissaires wouldn't have let me get back on."

After years of complaints that Cav gets towed over the big climbs the poor little fella is forced to ride the whole way. In the cold. Like everybody else. Imagine the commissaires watching him the whole way! How unjust is that? If the officials do that again my bet is he'll pack up and go home. That'll show 'em.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cavs had a great Giro, I didn't think he would finish it, so full credit to him and not sure what was going on with the intermediate Sprint today but he won it 3 times.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep, good Giro for Cav. Glad to see him get red after missing out on it so narrowly last year. He finally has won a points jersey in all 3 GT's now.

With this Giro, that makes 41 GT stage wins (23 in Tour, 15 in Giro, and 3 in Vuelta).

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
spalco said:
He should put some effort in the Vuelta next to get his stage wins there into the double digits as well - another nice achievement that he surely wouldn't share with many other cyclists.

He'd be the first.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
At this rate after next season Waterloo Sunrise and I will agree on Cav :D

Seriously though, unless something tragic will happen he's going to smash the previous records.

His highest ever GT GC finish in this race. Setting himself up nicely for a switch in focus in his later career, ala Kelly.

Ahem.

Can't see him riding many Vuelta's - he only rode the one he did because HTC had to let the B team have a go that year in Italy and wanted Cav to go to California for the sponsors.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Walkman said:
The guy is built to sprint. I personally don't really like pure sprinters but this guy is awesome. Really hoping he will shift path lter in his career and focus on other things than just bunch sprints.

I read he wants to return to the track for Rio 2016.

The Hitch said:
Hes a year younger than wiggins when wiggins got his first top 100 in a gt so theres still hope;)

As for Vuelta he also rode the 2011 Vuelta though pulled out on stage 3. No worlds or olympics this year so no harm in going for a few of the first week stages.

He made the top 100:eek:?

Maybe one day, in a tour with pathetic mountains, barely any time trials and with bonifications brought back................

TRENDING THREADS