• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Nirvana said:
the only sprinter of his generation (Greipel) that could have threatened him was a team mate

Never understood this argument. Cav proved himself to be the better sprinter on many occasions, and so he got picked ahead of Greipel, who himself is one of the greatest sprinters the peloton has seen, with over 150 wins.
I mean that if Greipel would have been in another team already in 2009/2010 he would have been his biggest rival and could have snatched stages away from him here and there like he did from 2011 onwards. Being team mates took out of the equation the biggest potential threat for two years so was easier to win for him.

I didn't see any of the stage but his result left a lot to be desired. I saw there was a rumor he might got to bahrain merida. He doesn't seem like he would need the money from his and Peta's job plus he can always be a coach like Zabel. I would love if he could turn everything around this end of the year and next but I feel it will be the same results and he'll end up disappointing himself most of all. He should retire while he still has his health.

Re:

therealthing said:
Back to just giving up when he should be opening his sprint today.

Yeah, he seems to have given up. Not even really in the mix. Looked like he's not trying. We'll see tomorrow. I never really liked the guy because he was so cocky and arrogant, but as he's struggled I kind of want him to have some success before he retires. This is just sad.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
I never saw Cipo sprint and I'm biased towards Cav. But what I would say confidently to go along with Pricey is I would have HTC Cav with HTC's train over any rider and their train. HTC dominated the race, even when they were the only team working all day. There never was and never will be another train like HTC and it's a pity for Cav because if they had stuck around, he would have won many more stages.

Ironically, this is exactly why I would place Cipollini and possibly other era sprinters over Cavendish. A team that could control/set-up and deliver Cavendish to the line against one of the weakest sprinter era's in cycling history. Once Kittel and a few others arrived, Cav's win rate at GTs dropped substantially, except Le Tour 2016.

Just looking back through some Tours from the late 80s/early 90s, there was barely a field sprint in 89, 3 Bunch sprints 1990, in 91 some 4 stages were won by last KM attacks, which almost never happens nowadays and in 92, I don't think there was a full bunch sprint until stage 20. There may have been teams trying to control things until the final km, but clearly there were not that obsessed or efficient at it. Last decade, things are controlled almost to the line so precise have the teams become at dominating stages. There were stages this year, when the last lead out was still there with 200m to go.

Also, there was a different mentality back then regards the importance of the Tour from Italian teams, Ariostea were pre-selected in 89 and gave up their place and Cipo's Del Tongo team were invited in 90/91, but both years turned down the invite. Imagine nowadays, a team turning down Tour invites :eek: Back then, the Giro was of far more importance than the Tour for most Italian teams.

Cipo made his debut in 92 at age 25, which as I mentioned didn't have a field sprint until the final week, by which time Il magnifico had long departed due to lack of opportunities. 93 he won his first stage, but had some top opposition in Abdu, Wilfried Nelissen(what a lost talent), Olaf Ludwig and pre-transformation Laurent Jalabert. He missed 94 completely due to being taken out by his own team-mate Baffi at the Vuelta. I guess you could say 95-99 were Cipo's peak years at Le Tour and he won 14 times despite rivals like Zabel, Steels, Blijlevens and he was 32 by the Tour in 99. Amazingly didn't get to appear after that, but that is the real black mark against Cipo, he never tried to finish Le Tour and was punished for it.

Seeing Cipo, Abdu, Van Poppel, Vanderarden, Steels, McEwen, Petacchi, Kittel and Cav plus more going against each other in peak form minus sprint trains would have been something to behold.

Reactions: PrimusPilus12
His downhill trend started from moving to Sky in 2012 and focusing on climbing more to win the Olympics. Without that, he could have won more in the following Tours. All of those against each other would have been good sprints but alas we can only imagine.

In the present, it doesn't look good for him. I wonder if he'll try to go to Vuelta and if so, DD will let him. They have been having a terrible year on all accounts.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
His downhill trend started from moving to Sky in 2012 and focusing on climbing more to win the Olympics. Without that, he could have won more in the following Tours. All of those against each other would have been good sprints but alas we can only imagine.

In the present, it doesn't look good for him. I wonder if he'll try to go to Vuelta and if so, DD will let him. They have been having a terrible year on all accounts.

Tour of Britain would be much more likely, I’d imagine.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:

He was still in double digit wins per year until the Epstein Barr, his GT record wasn't too shabby either.

Re:

He was still in double digit wins per year until the Epstein Barr, his GT record wasn't too shabby either.

As my previous post has been lost to time.

I was replying to the previous comment that stated his demise started from Kittel and other faster sprinters which is why he saw a decrease in Tour stage wins, when that isn't true. It started from the move to Sky. Without it, he could have won more stages at the Tour but potentially less elsewhere. Like any rider I wosh things could have gone differently in someway for them but I am happy with the career he has had.

On the Vuelta, that stinks he isn't going to go. A decent showing there could have helped his case for a team to pick him up if he was able to finish the 3 weeks. I hope he still has one last hoorah in the tank but I fear the worst. By all means he can prove us wrong.

TRENDING THREADS