• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Meh...he's done. But I admire his desire to keep fighting. At some point, get an outlet, stay in the game with a team as a coach, being a shadow of his former self may hurt his legacy.

He's won 48 individual stages in Grand Tours, before you even mention MSR, 6 podiums (3 wins) at Scheldeprijs, the WC road race and numerous other wins. He could roll up on a tandem wearing a Ronald McDonald outfit and not 'hurt his legacy' - nothing that he might do now affects what he's already done.

He lost many years of his career to injuries and health issues, so this is great to see. A very inspiring story really.
His 2014 crash while all his fault, definitely caused him to miss out on wins during 14 and 15 TDF. He could have won a couple in 14 and the crash made him and Quickstep start their train WAY to early in 15 and he started his sprints early trying to force the win allowing Greipel and Lotto to capitalize. He even highlighted how he was feeling with how Greipel was in 16.

I'm relatively naive in regards to sprinters. Has he demonstrated sufficient power to win a Tour stage?

Who knows, but this is something. Enough to let fans be hopeful again for him anyways.

I always thought his problems were more mental than physical (although strong legs can make a rider's mind stronger too I think), maybe DQS really helped him with that.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
I'm relatively naive in regards to sprinters. Has he demonstrated sufficient power to win a Tour stage?
With Morkov as his leadout it's probably not impossible. But with Bennett in the team there is no way he'll ride the Tour this year, and I'm not sure DQS is going to focus all that much on sprints in the Tour in the upcoming years with Evenepoel there.

Reactions: Amazinmets87

TRENDING THREADS