• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Let’s just forget that 2017-2019 he was sick repeatedly with mono, injured, and hampered by crashes during this timeframe. Not to mention in 2017 he was in prime position on the stage to win if he was in 2016 shape. Than 2020 trying to get back into race shape. He has more wins now before the Tour than he did in 2010 and 2011 and has been on the unlucky side of some seconds he could have won. His biggest question is the endurance and stamina, not the sprint speed.

He just beat Merlier at BBT.
And on the unlucky side of Elfstedenronde. What would people be saying if on top of the wins he had and luck went his way, he won the races he finished second and third in and won all but one stage at Turkey. He’d be sitting at 11 wins and I’m sure majority would be saying it’d be crazy to leave him behind. His speed has progressively gotten better the more he has raced.

Reactions: jmdirt

He is now training as if he is going to the Tour, I could not read beyond that as it is paywalled.
He needs another 2-3 weeks to be ready.

Cavendish should be going to Poland and the Vuelta, if his form continues to build he certainly could take a couple of stage wins, but the TDF? Too much too soon.

He only won it once, and it was at the heights of his powers. To think that he can do it this year, well I find it hilarious!
True it is laughable. Though he only has 1 from his own doing. Without shooting himself in the foot in 09 and the Hushovd point deduction debacle and 10 giving up when Petacchi went by him, he could have 3 green jerseys. Without Ferrari taking him out in the 12 Giro he would have 2 (if he stills returns or finishes the 13 Giro) Giro jerseys. Putting him at 6(5) point classification victories.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
He still has some work to do to get into double digit stage wins in the Vuelta anyway. ;)
Exactly! He could be the first to get double digits in all the GTs! Even easier if he didn’t get out of form in 10 as he could have won all 7 stages potentially or 11 if he didn’t get sick before withdrawing a little later.
But go to the Vuelta, get a GT in the legs as it has been too long and continue building. If Petacchi can pull a couple fast ones at 35+ he can too.

So they do. He's certainly worth a ride at the Vuelta but not the TDF, even if Bennett wasn't ok.

Also, how does not licking Cavendish's boots = a bad day?

It's a bad day when you claim that Cavendish was riding the TDS rather than the Belgium day - It also seems you didn't watch any stages from the Belgium Tour - It's a bad day when you claim 'not to be licking Cavendish's boots, especially when my post gave no opinion of whether Cavendish should ride the TDF - Effectively your posted facts are not facts at all.

It's a bad day when you claim that Cavendish was riding the TDS rather than the Belgium day - It also seems you didn't watch any stages from the Belgium Tour - It's a bad day when you claim 'not to be licking Cavendish's boots, especially when my post gave no opinion of whether Cavendish should ride the TDF - Effectively your posted facts are not facts at all.
Dang, it was Baloise Tour too facepalm

Still, yeah racing was certainly on from what I saw and Cav is moving in the right direction for sure, but it's not enough to convince me he's ready for the TDF.

And again, winning a stage of the Baloise Tour is a fair cry from winning a first week bunch sprint at the TDF.

He should certainly go to the Vuelta if he wants to though. There, fixed it for you.

I don't understand why he'd come back if it was to not go to try and win GT stages if the miracle comeback happened.

Going to the Tour is more exhausting than the Vuelta though. Going to France makes most sense if he's racing all the way to Paris; in the Vuelta he could abandon before the mountains. And media/public pressure is a lot stronger, as well as the competition. Doesn't make sense (at least as he said, maybe half jokingly, without extra pay), especially since he didn't plan his season for it to begin with.

Dang, it was Baloise Tour too facepalm

Still, yeah racing was certainly on from what I saw and Cav is moving in the right direction for sure, but it's not enough to convince me he's ready for the TDF.

And again, winning a stage of the Baloise Tour is a fair cry from winning a first week bunch sprint at the TDF.

He should certainly go to the Vuelta if he wants to though. There, fixed it for you.
Not to flog this dead horse for too long, but...
My pause with your stance on Cav is that you listed Merlier as one of the best sprinter right now, but gave Cav no chance to win a big field spring even though he just edged out Merlier at BBT. Its not a far cry from beating him at the TdF. If anything, Cav has an advantage over Merlier at the TdF because he's been there done that. Granted, there will be more top speedsters in France. I guess it doesn't matter anyway since Cav isn't going.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS