• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 134 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Regardless if he is able to finish the Tour, what are the odds of him returning to the Vuelta with Fabio? I don’t know the route but according to PCS and Wiki there is a total of 8 flat stages and 6 of them in the first week. That gives him time to potentially add to his GT stage count and Fabio gets a GT in his legs. All he needs is 7 for double digits….

Unless things completely 180 I doubt PL will let Bennett ride anything this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and TMP402
Think they've got to pick their battles at this point, with various sprinters abandoning and Cav cleaning up I guess there will be even less help controlling the break on flat stages going forward. And if he felt tired and Ala fancied it it probably made sense to take today off.
If Ala had gotten the stage and intermediate win he’d be second in points and I’d say a good backup in case of OTL but no cigar. I can see like how Quickstep did in 2013 Giro on the 4th stage Cav won. Started the day not going for a sprint and saying screw it and going for it.

Reactions: jmdirt
I think it'll happen in Paris. >50 % that the break will take stage 19.
Wouldn't that just be better? I mean, I'm conflicted over it regardless, because it's like, the guy with the record is somebody who has only ever won one type of stage (Aubenas '09 notwithstanding) rather than somebody who could win in every type of stage at all times, but at the same time being able to hold the record while only being able to contest 1/3 of the stages entered is arguably more impressive as an achievement, even if the vast majority of the stages won are transient, forgettable affairs, only remembered as part of the statistics they account for, i.e. the number of wins. If he breaks the record in a nondescript, nothing transitional stage, it's remarkable but it's not really a 'moment' per se. However, if he breaks the record on the Champs Elysées, as a final conclusion to the Tour in front of the Paris crowd and in the informal 'Sprinters' World Championships', that's going to be infinitely more memorable and iconic, and probably the greatest Champs moment since Vino, and will instantly become one of the most legendary Champs Elysées stages of all time, along with Hinault and Zoetemelk in '79, Lemond and Fignon in '89, Abdou's crash and Vino's solo.

Wouldn't that just be better? I mean, I'm conflicted over it regardless, because it's like, the guy with the record is somebody who has only ever won one type of stage (Aubenas '09 notwithstanding) rather than somebody who could win in every type of stage at all times, but at the same time being able to hold the record while only being able to contest 1/3 of the stages entered is arguably more impressive as an achievement, even if the vast majority of the stages won are transient, forgettable affairs, only remembered as part of the statistics they account for, i.e. the number of wins. If he breaks the record in a nondescript, nothing transitional stage, it's remarkable but it's not really a 'moment' per se. However, if he breaks the record on the Champs Elysées, as a final conclusion to the Tour in front of the Paris crowd and in the informal 'Sprinters' World Championships', that's going to be infinitely more memorable and iconic, and probably the greatest Champs moment since Vino, and will instantly become one of the most legendary Champs Elysées stages of all time, along with Hinault and Zoetemelk in '79, Lemond and Fignon in '89, Abdou's crash and Vino's solo.

Didn't I already leak the document that showed that this Tour is pre-scripted? So of course he's going to do it in Paris. :D

Definitely a more mature answer and one I don’t think 2009-2011 Cavendish would have made.
2009-11 Cavendish would have thought not just breaking but demolishing the record was a likelihood, whereas 2021 Cavendish has been through the mill several times, has had to learn all the tricks of the trade to keep on top when you've been usurped as the fastest man in the field, and has been offered an opportunity in the twilight of his career that most people - seemingly himself included - thought was beyond him, and is just relieved and thankful.

A bit like how many of us - myself included - thought Cadel Evans had wasted his best opportunity to win the Tour in 2008, and that his late career revitalisation of his tactical book had come too late for what was left of his legs, and then when he was unexpectedly handed a golden opportunity in 2011 he was like a different man.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93