• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 176 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today wasn’t some freak thing. Cavendish has still got the straight speed to compete for stages. All his ups and downs have somewhat dampened just how dominant he has always been in sprints when he is at his best. He is older and his reflexes aren’t what they used to be, but he is still extremely fast. What separates him from aging sprinters in the past is that Cavendish has never lost his nerve. Most guys can still ride fast as they age, it’s the deterioration of their other skills and the fact that as they get older, the risks of a sprint finish become more clear.

Cavendish has never lost his nerve in sprints. The crashes that could’ve mentally finished lesser riders didn’t dull his ability to block it out.
This completely. Watching that overhead shot, if you didn't know it was Cav you would have thought it was some crazy 22 year old or something. That's the part that is really something else, at least to me.

Today wasn’t some freak thing. Cavendish has still got the straight speed to compete for stages. All his ups and downs have somewhat dampened just how dominant he has always been in sprints when he is at his best. He is older and his reflexes aren’t what they used to be, but he is still extremely fast. What separates him from aging sprinters in the past is that Cavendish has never lost his nerve. Most guys can still ride fast as they age, it’s the deterioration of their other skills and the fact that as they get older, the risks of a sprint finish become more clear.

Cavendish has never lost his nerve in sprints. The crashes that could’ve mentally finished lesser riders didn’t dull his ability to block it out.
Yes. Not to mention, the speed and physical attributes to win at the end of a stage are not the same as the absolute sprint capacity in either a sprint event or a criterium. It's nerves, but also physical resilience, skill, reading the race.

Cav has never been the straight up 'fastest' per se. But he is the fastest at the end of a lot of races!

I have no intention of doing it for every stage winner. If I am still a mod when someone other than Cavendish hits 36 (or whatever target he leaves) I might do it again then. ;)
Of course, if you really wanted to cause a ruckus on here, you could rename the thread to 'Mark Cavendish is officially better than Eddy Merckx thread'

Love this slideshow of Cav posterizing several generations of sprinters.

Hushovd, Farrar, Petacchi, Boonen, Greipel, Sagan, Phillipsen, WVA

Fun fact, he's only won a single stage at the TDF one time (2015). His median number of victories if he wins at least once (which he has done 10 times now) is 4.