• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Masters Doping

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LOOKFOOL said:
What?.. Have you raced in a 35+ field? or a 40+ field for that matter young man? Anti-aging?..Many of "those guys?"..So training hard, coaching, blah blah blah won't make you fast because at 40/50 your supposed to get slower and hard work won't payoff? Hey jerk, marinating in test and HGH won't make you faster, your ignorance and stupidity are showing..Grow up someday and learn what bike racing is all about before spewing BS about masters racers..:cool:

Ah, another Einstein who knows it all. With all of five posts and already resorting to name-calling, no doubt you've scraped the bottom of the intellectually vacant barrel with this gem of a post.

It's all downhill from here for you.

Everything you say is total and complete hogwash. Maybe you're a masters' racer who gets offended when the truth is exposed.

Look, fool-line up and take an anti-doping test if you're in this group of septuagenarian supermen. Then when you post the results here on this forum feel free to talk all the shyte you want.

Until then you're just as suspicious as all the rest.

Besides, where have I heard this BS before-

Works harder than anyone in the peloton (to acquire post-dated TUEs)?

Weighs his food (I mean blood bags)?

Uses an altitude tent (I mean microdoses EPO)?

Has a coach (Dr. Ferarri)?

All of this sounds soooooooooooooooooo familiar to the chum being spewed about masters' racers...I wonder where I've heard this all before?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
True. But given the immediate accessibility to the hormone boost, the temptation must be great for some.

Another salient point. Hairplugs, anyone?

Its not easy to get testosterone boost unless you want to go black market

It is heavily restricted usualy required surgery implant and your Doctor needs to have a full hormone blood assay for 9 weeks done by a Endocrinologist.

Then only if the testicles are not working will you get the treatment and ounce it is started it cant be reversed its for life.

Cost of treatment with implants every 5 months is $2,300 per year refundable on Medicare PBS so the doctor needs to be spot on to justifie that money.

It wont improve your cycling and infact it will impare it.

Berzin said:
Ah, another Einstein who knows it all. With all of five posts and already resorting to name-calling, no doubt you've scraped the bottom of the intellectually vacant barrel with this gem of a post.

It's all downhill from here for you.

Everything you say is total and complete hogwash. Maybe you're a masters' racer who gets offended when the truth is exposed.

Look, fool-line up and take an anti-doping test if you're in this group of septuagenarian supermen. Then when you post the results here on this forum feel free to talk all the shyte you want.

Until then you're just as suspicious as all the rest.

Besides, where have I heard this BS before-

Works harder than anyone in the peloton (to acquire post-dated TUEs)?

Weighs his food (I mean blood bags)?

Uses an altitude tent (I mean microdoses EPO)?

Has a coach (Dr. Ferarri)?

All of this sounds soooooooooooooooooo familiar to the chum being spewed about masters' racers...I wonder where I've heard this all before?

Easy does it B-man!

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Technically, LA could not compete at masters level - it is not permitted unless you have not held a UCI pro-licence for at least one year.

A winner of masters worlds road race was stripped of title a few years back because it emerged they had a pro licence with 12 months of competing.

Unlike your blog, most posters on this site aren't interested in facts.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Its not easy to get testosterone boost unless you want to go black market

It is heavily restricted usualy required surgery implant and your Doctor needs to have a full hormone blood assay for 9 weeks done by a Endocrinologist.

Then only if the testicles are not working will you get the treatment and ounce it is started it cant be reversed its for life.

Cost of treatment with implants every 5 months is $2,300 per year refundable on Medicare PBS so the doctor needs to be spot on to justifie that money.

It wont improve your cycling and infact it will impare it.

What are you talking about? There are ads on TV every hour for anti-aging clinics and warning male viewers that that all of their problems may be due to low testosterone. Implants?

brianf7 said:
Most ride in D or C grade at club level so why take whoopy beans to be put up to a harder grade.

Around HERE, it's a little different.

For example, at last year's Manhattan Beach Grand Prix, you had to go all the way down to 23rd place to find your first Cat 3 finisher in the 35+. The first 22 were all 1's and 2's.

Manhattan Beach 35+

Master's crits can be every bit as fast as the Pro races here too. Actually, the Pro race is sometimes a bit slower because they're typically 90 minutes instead of 60, so the tempo is more relaxed. I can often sit in the Pro race no problem when in an earlier 35+ race I was on the rivet.

I think that a major issue is that there are a lot of middle aged guys (and gals) for whom cycling (or triathlon or mountain biking or ultra running, etc.) is their life. It is a huge part of their self identity, and they spend vast amounts of time doing it. My tri friends do fourteen workouts a week. I have ultra running friends who run forty miles on Saturday and thirty on Sunday. Someone who is deadly serious about their "hobby," and has been for years, will be in amazing condition compared to the typical person who tries to fit in a little training between other, more important family responsibilities.

Some of these guys dope, but it is mostly low grade recovery type stuff. The sheer amount of time spent training is probably a lot larger factor.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
What are you talking about? There are ads on TV every hour for anti-aging clinics and warning male viewers that that all of their problems may be due to low testosterone. Implants?

A friend (non-racer, but a master nevertheless) had his testosterone levels checked recently and his doctor would have been happy to prescribe him supplemental testosterone - but cautioned that a sustained use of it will cause an elevated risk for.........testicular cancer.

So he opted not to go for it. But the moral of the story is that prescribing testosterone (and HgH, if you have the money to pay for it yourself) as an anti-aging drug seems to be common practice for most doctors, at least here in the US.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Tubeless said:
A friend (non-racer, but a master nevertheless) had his testosterone levels checked recently and his doctor would have been happy to prescribe him supplemental testosterone - but cautioned that a sustained use of it will cause an elevated risk for.........testicular cancer.

So he opted not to go for it. But the moral of the story is that prescribing testosterone (and HgH, if you have the money to pay for it yourself) as an anti-aging drug seems to be common practice for most doctors, at least here in the US.

The scary part is that, like the knowlegeable guys point out; the consistently fast guys have the genes to train hard, race hard and stay faster longer. They are likely prolonging a healthy life.
Taking anti-aging drugs could, for some; trigger unwanted side effects and literally take them to the end of their healthy life. Have you seen former atheletes that stopped taking steriods? Not pretty.
We know there are guys out there doing everything legal and those that go beyond that. The most reliable symptom is sudden changes in power from an athelete's performance history. Do you have to race with these guys? No but if you don't take their delusion seriously yourself, don't b*tch about being beaten and just race hard, you'll be OK. You'll probably get stronger. If your self-image is that wrapped up in how you compare you'd probably better check your priorities.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
test

Berzin said:
Masters Racing-where regular ham-and-eggers get fitter, leaner and faster at an age where the exact opposite is supposed to happen.

I don't give a rat's behind about nutrition, hard work and coaching. To think those are the reasons why these racers are so fast and fit is simply ignorant.

Many of those guys go to anti-aging clinics and are literally marinating in testosterone and HgH.

Calling anyone a whiner for stating what is obvious in the master's field is the intellectual equivalent of telling someone to STFU on the internet.

Come up with something better than that.

Wishful thinking it doesn't work as good as you may think
I been on the stuff for 39 years and have a TUE for it

I tried to up the dose before a race and you find you cant breath well at all
soar joints no good at all

low dose is all I want but at 70 Yo I can still do training 200km a week but some times even that don't work may be a bit stronger on hills or in wind
but dont notice much

still riding though so that is a plus

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Tubeless said:

research shows it prevents testicular and prostrate issues always check with endocrinologist first you need 3 tests three weeks apart for diagnosis

DirtyWorks said:
I'm very interested to hear how long it took to get the TUE and the general process. NADO's are very quiet about issuing TUE's for Test.

USADA spells it out:

TUE applications for Testosterone-Physician Worksheet

• The Therapeutic Use Exemption Committee (TUEC) must review the entire evaluation for hypogonadism.
They need enough medical information, clinic notes and laboratory testing notes to make the same diagnosis, and arrive at the same treatment plan as you without ever seeing the patient.
• It is extremely unlikely that a Therapeutic Use Exemption will be approved for "functional" hypogonadism (a diagnosis of hypogonadism based on low testosterone (T) levels but without a defined etiology).
• The International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions specifically states that "low-normal" levels of any hormone will not justify the granting of a TUE.
• USADA will not grant TUEs for testosterone to females, including Hormone Replacement Therapies that contain testosterone, because there are permitted therapeutic alternatives available.
• The use of T as an anti-aging medication for men is not justification for a TUE. Similarly, generalized fatigue, slow recovery from exercise and a decreased libido are not, in isolation, justification for the granting of a TUE for testosterone.
• All TUE applications for T based on secondary hypogonadism should include a detailed history of corticosteroid & opiate use. Consider documentation of sella imaging & exclusion of hematochromatosis.

Dave.

brianf7 said:
Wishful thinking it doesn't work as good as you may think
I been on the stuff for 39 years and have a TUE for it

I tried to up the dose before a race and you find you cant breath well at all
soar joints no good at all

low dose is all I want but at 70 Yo I can still do training 200km a week but some times even that don't work may be a bit stronger on hills or in wind
but dont notice much

still riding though so that is a plus.

PED's affect different people differently, and with all due respect, I wasn't talking about anyone in their 70's. I was thinking of the master's racers who are in their mid to late 30's and a bit above.

Great to hear you're still out there riding the bike!!! That is awesome!!!

Tubeless said:

Where is that study showing testicular cancer being raised? I guess normal men with normal levels are somehow magically protected from this because they make testosterone naturally and it isn't taken in a bio-identical form?

The levels are the same, taking testosterone has nothing to do with it..genetic disposition does. Cancer doesn't run in my family, never has, guess what, I bet I never get cancer...just a guess.

Oldman said:
The scary part is that, like the knowlegeable guys point out; the consistently fast guys have the genes to train hard, race hard and stay faster longer. They are likely prolonging a healthy life.
Taking anti-aging drugs could, for some; trigger unwanted side effects and literally take them to the end of their healthy life. Have you seen former atheletes that stopped taking steriods? Not pretty.
We know there are guys out there doing everything legal and those that go beyond that. The most reliable symptom is sudden changes in power from an athelete's performance history. Do you have to race with these guys? No but if you don't take their delusion seriously yourself, don't b*tch about being beaten and just race hard, you'll be OK. You'll probably get stronger. If your self-image is that wrapped up in how you compare you'd probably better check your priorities.

Steroids and taking bio-identical testosterone leading to a mid-range/normal blood level is no comparison to guys taking 500-1000mg/week of Winny/Var etc...testosterone is technically a steroid, but those are not every produced naturally by the human body...makes a big difference, no comparison.

brianf7 said:
research shows it prevents testicular and prostrate issues always check with endocrinologist first you need 3 tests three weeks apart for diagnosis

Ummmm...wut?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Steroids and taking bio-identical testosterone leading to a mid-range/normal blood level is no comparison to guys taking 500-1000mg/week of Winny/Var etc...testosterone is technically a steroid, but those are not every produced naturally by the human body...makes a big difference, no comparison.

Sure they can; if the user is not monitored constantly.
I was prescribed steroids to control inflammation after nerve surgery for two weeks dosage. Within two months I had alarming swelling of the breasts (took a breast mammogram. Ladies-very sorry you ever have to endure that) and an existing viral level shot through the roof. This, after two weeks of use.
Fortunately things settled down after a few more months. Reality is; guys willing to take a regime to improve their athletic performance to "normal", or doctor defined levels of normalcy are still at risk. Presumably if HGH or steroids are required to live a normal, healthy and predictably full life those levels wouldn't necessarily be adequate to enhance sports performance.
As I've said; the sport is hard and inability to govern appropriate levels is why substances are not allowed. Maybe in the future for your argument.

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
When I was a master...

I thought it was fun to go around in circles in business parks instead of working in business parks. I pretty much cared that I didn't crash because I had to work the next day. I've since outgrown masters racing.

I do not doubt there are those cheating in so many ways. But its masters racing. Masters buy lots of cool stuff, and support the industry, but masters racing is by the masters and for the masters. Nobody really cares - unless they are a masters racer - or married to one.