• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Mathieu Van der Poel

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well if he puts that kind of accelerations uphill not even Riis in his 60% days can follow
Yup. 15 seconds ahead in something like 35-50 seconds of total riding, or as the website states: "opening up a gap of 15 seconds in 300 metres". And Schurter was still riding away from the others, so it's not like he died, packed it in, or had a mechanical. MvdP was just that much faster over 300 meters.

Just shaking my head. I've seen this before so many times, and not once was it purely talent and training, so not feeling optimistic here. Such is life

Not sure what all the fuss is about, regarding Mathieu this year. Clearly a very talented rider, he places emphasis on all aspects of training, nutrition, and race preparation. Okay, he's had some good performances, but nothing that exceptional. At Amstel Gold, he had a nice finishing surge -- nothing too outlandish. He looks after his health, washes hands properly, works to maximize dietary benefit, and trains very hard. He places tremendous focus on many factors -- none of which taken alone would account for huge differences in performance, but taken together, the marginal gains harvested by his dedication and discipline have added up to some good outcomes. :D

JosephK said:
Not sure what all the fuss is about, regarding Mathieu this year. Clearly a very talented rider, he places emphasis on all aspects of training, nutrition, and race preparation. Okay, he's had some good performances, but nothing that exceptional. At Amstel Gold, he had a nice finishing surge -- nothing too outlandish. He looks after his health, washes hands properly, works to maximize dietary benefit, and trains very hard. He places tremendous focus on many factors -- none of which taken alone would account for huge differences in performance, but taken together, the marginal gains harvested by his dedication and discipline have added up to some good outcomes. :D
Ha! That was fun to read.

the delgados said:
JosephK said:
Ha! That was fun to read.
I'm not sure we will see the true capabailites of MVDP until he is ill though...that's when the perfomances should spike....

Jul 27, 2014
JosephK said:
If he can just get one of those special pillows he'll sweep the Monuments next year.

it's funny because mvdp is as un-scientific / sky like as can be.

He trains more on feeling, and then in the youth his dad forced him to rest and now his team does, otherwise he'll train too hard. Then he eats french fries after every sunday cx race because he wants to. And his tactics make no sense at all. He defies all logic.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

He trains more on feeling, and then in the youth his dad forced him to rest and now his team does, otherwise he'll train too hard. Then he eats french fries after every sunday cx race because he wants to. And his tactics make no sense at all. He defies all logic.
I think these may actually be hopeful signs. I was being a bit of a smartass with my earlier comment on MVDP . . . anything for a laugh.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Honestly, I don't think any of it matters and there's so much BS. Who really knows - the spin docs will spin it either way. Sky was more 'scientific' (mmhmm). Lance just trained harder/longer. MvdP just trains by feel. Whatever. None of it means much of anything TBH

I think, while scientific training can really help a lot of riders, it all comes down to personal feeling in the end. What works for rider x doesn't work for rider y.

While Ineos training regime works for Froome, it killed many other hopeful riders and would not work for a person like MvdP. Some people can train hard all the time. Some people need to rest a lot to be good. Some riders need to race a lot to get in the form, while others just need 1 good altitide camp.

There is indeed a whole lot of BS, based on incidental succes and not a large sample size of cause/=/effect.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
schurter did this for years like this and nobody batted an eye (killer attack on last lap). Where are his topics?
i recon this forum is 99% road races/riders/fans - pure mtb rider's threads are not very frequent here.
and I agree, he did this type of attacks for years - he's getting older though ;)

Apr 25, 2011
Nothing alien about MvdP. Good genes with Poulidor as grandfather and dad as a very good rider himself. I see pages with tons of bullsh*t accusations in them, but zero evidence. Mathieu is really that good and David van der Poel is really that normal. You would think if they both were doping, we would see something like the Schleck brothers, but nope. I see a hugely talented guy who has been winning ever since the first day he got on his bike. Take it or leave it, but I don't see anything suspicious about it.
Isn't it tiring, everytime a young, talented rider wins, to hop on this forum and make silly accusations based on nothing. Somebody compared Mvdp to Riis? Say whut? We are almost 23 years later, everthing has evolved, bikes, training methods, science, etc...

Nothing alien about MvdP. Good genes with Poulidor as grandfather and dad as a very good rider himself. I see pages with tons of bullsh*t accusations in them, but zero evidence. Mathieu is really that good and David van der Poel is really that normal. You would think if they both were doping, we would see something like the Schleck brothers, but nope. I see a hugely talented guy who has been winning ever since the first day he got on his bike. Take it or leave it, but I don't see anything suspicious about it.
Isn't it tiring, everytime a young, talented rider wins, to hop on this forum and make silly accusations based on nothing. Somebody compared Mvdp to Riis? Say whut? We are almost 23 years later, everthing has evolved, bikes, training methods, science, etc...
LOL.
It's totally OK that you think he's 100% on the level. That's fine, and we can all have our opinion ... no need to get all hot under the collar and comment on accusations (this is the clinic ;) ). Personally, I've already stated how much I think he's a great rider to watch and think he seems like a great person too, but that "I've seen this before so many times, and not once was it purely talent and training".

MvdP lays on some pretty alien level attacks though, so it's a bit contradictory to say "nothing alien" and then say he's "really that good". :) When he lays on an attack, it's like a Cat 1 attacking a Cat 5, or like when I'm going for a spin and an ebike blasts by.

schurter did this for years like this and nobody batted an eye (killer attack on last lap). Where are his topics?
I guess some of the folks more into MTB were not commenting as much in the clinic? For sure, NS could be charging and feel free to start a thread. FWIW, MvdP's attacks just seem that much more alien then what I remember Schurter doing. It's just insane and I really find it difficult to suspend disbelief, which only tends to happen when I'm watching something silly.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS