• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Matt Lloyd fired by OPL

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I know a fair bit about various mental illnesses through my work. Fyi about 10% of the population will suffer from one or more of depression, anxiety, phsychosis or substance abuse disorders in any given year. That equates to about 100 pro cyclists in any given year if pros mirror the rest of the population.

My take - from Matty's blog I suspect he is suffering from depression and probably either self-medicating (bad) or struggling to adjust to his prescription meds. I don't know the guy bu I sure hope someone is looking out for him. The ten days after diagnosis are often the most dangerous. Google beyondblue if you think you or a friend is unwell - stay safe folks.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
Does this make sense to anyone? :confused:

That blog sounded like Cobblestoned on a bad day.

(kidding)

Good luck to him anyway and hopefully see him tearing up the climbs for Greenedge or another team next year or whatever. Sky still need climbers. :)

He's saying that he has problems, the future is unclear but he is willing to keep moving on with the changes in his life. As long as he 's not planning a career as a writer. Someone else thought it was sarcasm. I don't see it that way at all, I think it's genuine and not a joke. Just his take on how he feels.

joe_papp said:
Are you being serious or just speculating?

Yeah it's not an easy beast to tame; less so when one's support network isn't extensive. Sounds like that might not be the case here though (ie, he has access to care and support)?

It's easy when one has a blog and even a modest audience to want to open-up about personal challenges and situations that otherwise might not be sporting fodder...but at the same time you don't want to be totally raw and so code the message. Then everyone just ends up confused or bored (or so my readers tell me).

I'm being serious. Also sometimes when people are in a "state" you have to "shock" them into action. The sacking was done with the best intentions for Matt. He needs to get better and searching for results is not the way. He'll be back but needs the time. As you know cycling in Europe when you're not European 10 months of the year is hard work on your mental state.

I've been away from home well over 15 years now. There's still something not right with me. I have panic attacks thinking something has happened in the town where I was born.

A good insight is Allan Peiper book "a pierpers tale" - Rode for Panasonic, a DS at OPL and now Highroad. He went through it. Took one year away to go back to Australia and "find himself" to find there was no longer anything there.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
That blog sounded like Cobblestoned on a bad day.

(kidding)

Good luck to him anyway and hopefully see him tearing up the climbs for Greenedge or another team next year or whatever. Sky still need climbers. :)

Oh, thank you. :D
I come from the country of poets and philosophers, you know.

Anyway, whatever may have happened and be the problem, I wish him all the best, too.

Cobblestoned:
Dichter und Denker, aber auch Richter und Henker, ja?

auscyclefan94 said:
He's always been an erratic character and never seems to be quite 'with it'. I'll put it this way, he always seems to be on another planet!

"The Omega Pharma-Lotto team has announced it has terminated the contract of Australian climber Matt Lloyd, citing behavioral reasons but specifying it is not because of problems with performance enhancing drugs"

I personally think it is something to do with recreational drugs. He has some very odd behavioural traits and like I asid above, he never seems to be quite with it. I think he has a drug porblem. His diary entry above is not overly surprising as Lloyd is a bit of an enigma. He has a strange character but is always the joker of the group.

That's precisely the same hint I took from it (i.e. if it weren't to do with recreational drugs then there would be no need to add "performance enhancing" as a modifier), only I was more tentative in my assertion.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who picked up on the semantic shift there though.

The presumably original Dutch quote:
Voor alle duidelijkheid: het gaat het niet om het gebruik van prestatie bevorderende middelen.
"This is not about the use of performance-enhancing drugs"

In the off-chance that the original was written in French:
Pour la clarté : il ne s'agit pas d'utilisation de produits destinés à améliorer les prestations.
"It's not about the use of performance-enhancing products"

So yeah. Anyway, I'd say the use of the "performance-enhancing" qualifier isn't significant - it's a specialized term, after all.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Maybe he did the directors wife or something

Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh. Henrick Redant or Marck Sargeant?:p

Don't answer that, I don't want to know. But very funny and clever response. Keep em up dude.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
can any aussies translate this

sounds like he's got a couple of spokes missing on his front wheel......

"If Iv’e been bleeding in places you cant see, and feeling the affects of doors being locked, I’ve called the people who change the locks, and the gate is open… All I have to do is ‘opan the gate"

The first part, bleeding in places you can't see. Well there is the physical side. Not pretty. Don't ask people. The other is psychological. Internal. That's mental. Could relate to anything. Girl troubles, work troubles, take your pick.

I'd lean with work. Doors being locked. Seriously guys? This from the team that drove off Cadel Evans for a Belgian guy! It's kind of obvious, they don't relate to him very well and being an Aussie, he verbally spoke his mind and it isn't in tune with the Belgian bosses. Probably to do with race prep and expectations. I can more or less assume it had to do with supporting Gilbert or Van den ******. My guess, it's the later. He probably spoke too much and they know he was planning on leaving for the supposed Aussie team in 2012. Door locking is done by your boss. That's OPL. People who change the locks, that's new employers, other teams, maybe even CA. Open door is literal. He's been told he can get another ride, he just has to walk through the door, ask for one and get it. That last bit is all about initiative. That's self evident, about oneself, nothing more, nothing less.

"Many people say ‘dont let yourself get attachet to annything you are youre not willing to feel the ramifications around the corner’.. But this corner (as twisted as it may have been) is behind me, and I refuse to look behind as my character fails to let me do so, particularly disliking the place I was sitting in. So I’ll face the concequences I’ve attached myself with. through the assistance of particular and fattest crew of understanding people of these life-style changes"

This bit is about his past, OPL and I'm assuming the 'fattest crew' is a pun at the thinking of OPL. We've seen their lunacy before with Evans. No shock there, the owner is a tool. Belgian this and that and forget that your best rider is a foreigner. He's reflecting on where he was (work wise) and how that situation has changed. Basically saying it's no point in crying over spilt milk. No, this isnb't a cry for help. Probably just a guy who was told a lot of promising things and then discarded. Whatever...be interesting to see if Gilbert can actually win something in the coming fortnight for OPL. Last year I'd have banked on it...now, nope. Close but no cigar for this joke of a team. Nice job OPL. Losers! Gilbert should leave and go to a team that will support him. Actually if he doesn't win a race in the next fortnight, I'd be thinking it would be imperative for him to move.

Notso Swift said:
Pure speculation, like everything else here, but I also think it is entirely possible that OPL told him he is either not doing the Giro or not going for the mountains and he told them to go fornicate themselves. Since he was building his whole year around it he would not have taken that well.

+1 agree this could be the hidden fact.....Either way i hope he gets back to his best as soon as possible.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Whatever...be interesting to see if Gilbert can actually win something in the coming fortnight for OPL. Last year I'd have banked on it...now, nope. Close but no cigar for this joke of a team. Nice job OPL. Losers! Gilbert should leave and go to a team that will support him. Actually if he doesn't win a race in the next fortnight, I'd be thinking it would be imperative for him to move.

You are joking, right?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
"If Iv’e been bleeding in places you cant see, and feeling the affects of doors being locked, I’ve called the people who change the locks, and the gate is open… All I have to do is ‘opan the gate"

The first part, bleeding in places you can't see. Well there is the physical side. Not pretty. Don't ask people. The other is psychological. Internal. That's mental. Could relate to anything. Girl troubles, work troubles, take your pick.

I'd lean with work. Doors being locked. Seriously guys? This from the team that drove off Cadel Evans for a Belgian guy! It's kind of obvious, they don't relate to him very well and being an Aussie, he verbally spoke his mind and it isn't in tune with the Belgian bosses. Probably to do with race prep and expectations. I can more or less assume it had to do with supporting Gilbert or Van den ******. My guess, it's the later. He probably spoke too much and they know he was planning on leaving for the supposed Aussie team in 2012. Door locking is done by your boss. That's OPL. People who change the locks, that's new employers, other teams, maybe even CA. Open door is literal. He's been told he can get another ride, he just has to walk through the door, ask for one and get it. That last bit is all about initiative. That's self evident, about oneself, nothing more, nothing less.

"Many people say ‘dont let yourself get attachet to annything you are youre not willing to feel the ramifications around the corner’.. But this corner (as twisted as it may have been) is behind me, and I refuse to look behind as my character fails to let me do so, particularly disliking the place I was sitting in. So I’ll face the concequences I’ve attached myself with. through the assistance of particular and fattest crew of understanding people of these life-style changes"

This bit is about his past, OPL and I'm assuming the 'fattest crew' is a pun at the thinking of OPL. We've seen their lunacy before with Evans. No shock there, the owner is a tool. Belgian this and that and forget that your best rider is a foreigner. He's reflecting on where he was (work wise) and how that situation has changed. Basically saying it's no point in crying over spilt milk. No, this isnb't a cry for help. Probably just a guy who was told a lot of promising things and then discarded. Whatever...be interesting to see if Gilbert can actually win something in the coming fortnight for OPL. Last year I'd have banked on it...now, nope. Close but no cigar for this joke of a team. Nice job OPL. Losers! Gilbert should leave and go to a team that will support him. Actually if he doesn't win a race in the next fortnight, I'd be thinking it would be imperative for him to move.

Too bad Phil and Math only rode 5 races together. I'm starting to think all Aussies are crazy as hell from reading your post. Jesus Christ... Lotto didn't ditch Cuddles for a Belgian, Cuddles was the one who left and he still doesn't get team support in the mountains.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
When I first heard the news yesterday my initial thought was OPL have told him he can't do the Giro and have told him he has to be fresh to support that loser Van Den Broek in the tour, he would have told them to get stuffed. My next immediate thought was he will end up at BMC.

On reading the stuff about depression here I think that's been overplayed, he's a very deep thinker and the only thing really strange in those writings was the grammar. What I have read from him before was perfectly punctuated and spelt, maybe edited though?

OPL couldn't run a p1ss up in a brewery. He's better off elsewhere. The only riders that will do any good on that team are belgians, even then they under achieve.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
doesn't sound like depression, reckon the odds on a schedule conflict are starting to shorten.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/23716/Lloyd-confident-of-finding-a-new-team

Australian climber Matthew Lloyd is adamant he will return as a top-level professional cyclist after his European team's stunning decision to axe him.

Lloyd stressed he could not comment on the circumstances behind the shock news from Omega Pharma Lotto because his management was negotiating with the Belgian outfit.

But the former national road champion, who starred in last year's Giro d'Italia, was confident of finding a new team. "I will be back," he told AAP from Italy.

"There's no way I could even think about leaving the sport - it's part of my life, it's what I do.

"I'm eager to make sure the physical condition continues to develop in a really good way and make sure when I come back I'm the same, if not stronger than I was before."

Lloyd had been with Omega Pharma Lotto since 2007, when they were known as Predictor Lotto.

The 27-year-old won a stage of last year's Giro and also took out the king of the mountains category in the three-week grand tour.

But he suffered shoulder and spinal injuries in a December crash while riding in Melbourne. Lloyd suffered another setback in February when he was hit by a car on a training ride in Italy and hurt his knee.

He was supposed to return to racing last month at the Tour of Catalonia, but did not start. While Lloyd made his comeback at the April 4-9 Tour of the Basque Country, he pulled out before the final stage.

In a statement on their web site, Omega Pharma Lotto made a point of saying the shock news had nothing to do with banned substances.

They said they parted ways with Lloyd because of "recent incidents" and "Matthew's behaviour".

Lloyd would not go into details did not want to dwell on the sudden termination.

"I feel naturally as happy as I can be - I have a new house here (in Italy), which I've been working on," he said.

"I've obviously gone through a stage in January and February that was difficult, with various injuries."

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Too bad Phil and Math only rode 5 races together. I'm starting to think all Aussies are crazy as hell from reading your post. Jesus Christ... Lotto didn't ditch Cuddles for a Belgian, Cuddles was the one who left and he still doesn't get team support in the mountains.

Really? So the whole Van den Brocke falling over in the ITT and Cadel's whole 2009 Tour imploding were just imaginary? Last time I checked Jurgen cried about nobody waiting for his dumb **** after he ran into his own team mate and the Belgian owner cracked the whip and the team was chastised for not waiting for the annointed one. Wake up and smell the roses, this has nothing to do with nationalism/patriotism. It has to do with business and supporting the best winner. It's sport. Cuddles doesn't get support? He gets as much as he use to, but is better off because the management aren't morons. The guys at BMC, Lelangue and co, listen to his needs. They don't demand.

I'll excuse your lunacy for this one time. Go and reread the accounts most forumists made last year regarding Evans. They loved his change of heart, his racing style and most notably his behaviour. He didn't seem like a tool anymore. In fact, he rode his **** off and had his best season ever. What led to this change? Belgians owner on a Belgian team being an idiot. Do you honestly think a rider being fired mid season before any GT has started is normal, least of all for non PED issues? It ain't. Never has been.

I gave a very bland and generic account. Who was Lloyd's room mate? Evans. That's one guy he hung out with. So what happens when Evans left? Read Gilbert's confession this week. He barely spoke to Lloyd, so why would anyone assume he was wanted or needed by other riders on the team? You wouldn't. If you get to the bottom line, OPL wanted something, told Lloyd another and you get a disagreement and finally someone breaks. Contract dispute leads to dismisal. Hardly rocket science. Was I specific? Hell no. But the writing is on the wall. Good luck filling in the blanks, OPL will have had their lawyers all over that, after all, few every heard the real reason behind Evans 2009 TdF flop. Most accounts are guesswork based on press releases by the OPL owner mouthing off. Same deal this time.

I do have to ask? Are all Europeans this daft or is this lack of perception in regards to behavioural semantics distributed and locked within certain European countries? To me this sounds like another Euro idiot manager who doesn't relate to other people and never realised opening their flapper might actually fix things. No shock there. This from the continent that brought two world wars within 30 years. Better, from one of the few countries in both wars that got spanked senseless and caught napping with their pants down. Sounds like the place to not be if you are a people person...at OPL. Think I'm wrong? Drop OPL a line and ask them what their contracts cover in a legal template. You'll hear nothing from them, other than sematics and PR mumbo jumbo. Would anyone like me to drop a list of the quality riders OPL have bled in the last 5 years. It includes the man who last week won Roubaix. I've known for sometime that asylum is run by the loons.

peloton said:
You are joking, right?

No. Gilbert couldn't win the WC last season and he sure did try. Just like people were saying last week about Cancellara. His main season goals ended without wins. Sure he was the strongest, but there is only so much of that one can take without actually steeping onto the podium. For crying out loud, Gilbert and Cancellara are in high demand because of their calibre. If Gilbert doesn't win one of the following; Amstel, LBL, or Fleche, then yeah, I'd say his front part of the season will be a total waste of time. When you don't win when you should, better, when others throw money at you to join them, you definitely explore your options.

People as highly motivated as Gilbert and Spartacus, with the skills to match their aspirations don't like coming second. Could you imagine what he could do on a team like Saxo, with AC? They'd be able to pick who wins which Classic. Right now, Gilbert is praying he doesn't get tag teamed, because lets face it, without Cadel there, he is left to fend for himself. Anyone here remember how potent Gilbert was in September/October 2009 with Evans helping him? 3 wins in 3 races, including Lombardie. He is by far the most talented rider at OPL. Maybe he should thank his lucky stars the Italians raided Katusha the other day. Perhaps one less team filled with strong rivals he may not have to contend with...I wouldn't count on it though. I'd wager Rodriguez and Kolobnev, with Ignatiev could easily win one of the 3 races I listed. Rodriguez almost did last year. If Gilbert doesn't win, he waits till September for another crack...that's a long wait because you couldn't win your seasonal goals. Long enough to get a nice contract offer somewhere else, where you will get more help.

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Really? So the whole Van den Brocke falling over in the ITT and Cadel's whole 2009 Tour imploding were just imaginary? Last time I checked Jurgen cried about nobody waiting for his dumb **** after he ran into his own team mate and the Belgian owner cracked the whip and the team was chastised for not waiting for the annointed one. Wake up and smell the roses, this has nothing to do with nationalism/patriotism. It has to do with business and supporting the best winner. It's sport. Cuddles doesn't get support? He gets as much as he use to, but is better off because the management aren't morons. The guys at BMC, Lelangue and co, listen to his needs. They don't demand.

I'll excuse your lunacy for this one time. Go and reread the accounts most forumists made last year regarding Evans. They loved his change of heart, his racing style and most notably his behaviour. He didn't seem like a tool anymore. In fact, he rode his **** off and had his best season ever. What led to this change? Belgians owner on a Belgian team being an idiot. Do you honestly think a rider being fired mid season before any GT has started is normal, least of all for non PED issues? It ain't. Never has been.

I gave a very bland and generic account. Who was Lloyd's room mate? Evans. That's one guy he hung out with. So what happens when Evans left? Read Gilbert's confession this week. He barely spoke to Lloyd, so why would anyone assume he was wanted or needed by other riders on the team? You wouldn't. If you get to the bottom line, OPL wanted something, told Lloyd another and you get a disagreement and finally someone breaks. Contract dispute leads to dismisal. Hardly rocket science. Was I specific? Hell no. But the writing is on the wall. Good luck filling in the blanks, OPL will have had their lawyers all over that, after all, few every heard the real reason behind Evans 2009 TdF flop. Most accounts are guesswork based on press releases by the OPL owner mouthing off. Same deal this time.

I do have to ask? Are all Europeans this daft or is this lack of perception in regards to behavioural semantics distributed and locked within certain European countries? To me this sounds like another Euro idiot manager who doesn't relate to other people and never realised opening their flapper might actually fix things. No shock there. This from the continent that brought two world wars within 30 years. Better, from one of the few countries in both wars that got spanked senseless and caught napping with their pants down. Sounds like the place to not be if you are a people person...at OPL. Think I'm wrong? Drop OPL a line and ask them what their contracts cover in a legal template. You'll hear nothing from them, other than sematics and PR mumbo jumbo. Would anyone like me to drop a list of the quality riders OPL have bled in the last 5 years. It includes the man who last week won Roubaix. I've known for sometime that asylum is run by the loons.

No. Gilbert couldn't win the WC last season and he sure did try. Just like people were saying last week about Cancellara. His main season goals ended without wins. Sure he was the strongest, but there is only so much of that one can take without actually steeping onto the podium. For crying out loud, Gilbert and Cancellara are in high demand because of their calibre. If Gilbert doesn't win one of the following; Amstel, LBL, or Fleche, then yeah, I'd say his front part of the season will be a total waste of time. When you don't win when you should, better, when others throw money at you to join them, you definitely explore your options.

People as highly motivated as Gilbert and Spartacus, with the skills to match their aspirations don't like coming second. Could you imagine what he could do on a team like Saxo, with AC? They'd be able to pick who wins which Classic. Right now, Gilbert is praying he doesn't get tag teamed, because lets face it, without Cadel there, he is left to fend for himself. Anyone here remember how potent Gilbert was in September/October 2009 with Evans helping him? 3 wins in 3 races, including Lombardie. He is by far the most talented rider at OPL. Maybe he should thank his lucky stars the Italians raided Katusha the other day. Perhaps one less team filled with strong rivals he may not have to contend with...I wouldn't count on it though. I'd wager Rodriguez and Kolobnev, with Ignatiev could easily win one of the 3 races I listed. Rodriguez almost did last year. If Gilbert doesn't win, he waits till September for another crack...that's a long wait because you couldn't win your seasonal goals. Long enough to get a nice contract offer somewhere else, where you will get more help.

Bang on the $$$$
The Belgiums mismanged Evans till he felt no alternative but to leave. He put up with them not rehiring Horner. He put up with them replacing him with Popo who, when not riding for Johan, is about as much use as Kenny van Hummel in the mountains. He even coped when they then hired Kohl & Dekker, despite the fact they stunk to high heaven, meaning missed opportunity to hire someone else useful. But carrying on as though Jurgen was the man.... too far.

I heard a story from a lotto guy that Matthew Lloyd was an egocentrical ******* who was completely off this world and thought he could win the Tour.
And he always expected the whole team to ride for him... according to that guy Lloyd is a complete loonatic with a low IQ

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I heard a story from a lotto guy that Matthew Lloyd was an egocentrical ******* who was completely off this world and thought he could win the Tour.
And he always expected the whole team to ride for him... according to that guy Lloyd is a complete loonatic with a low IQ

Hmmm, was that from good ole' Tommy Dekker?

He is an ecentric character, that is true.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

"i heard a story from a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy...."

yeah whatever, Lloyd doesn't come over as that type at all, either in his interviews or his performances. *squashes roumour*. Next!

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

+1

Love your posting style.

Dewulf said:
"i heard a story from a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy...."

yeah whatever, Lloyd doesn't come over as that type at all, either in his interviews or his performances. *squashes roumour*. Next!

public personae and private personae can be very different, so I wouldn't consider the rumour squashed. I'd consider it completely unverified, however.