• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Matt Lloyd fired by OPL

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
Someone in a Spanish forum reported that Óscar Pujol, when asked informally about Lloyd (before this happened), said he was really weird and that the stuff he did wasn't normal.

To go back to my earlier point about my friend who had a breakdown (it turned out he was schizophrenic but they only found that out afterwards). He was for a number of years very difficult to be around, on a good day you could have a reasonable conversation with him, on a bad day it was impossible ie A question like 'What would you like to drink?' would get a completely incomprehensible answer out of him (which would often go on all night). Even talking about cycling once set him off (he isn't a cycling fan but we were chatting about you-know-who and the d-word we aren't allowed to mention) and he went off on one about how it was actually God that was making YKW ride so well.

Similarly, I've taught (and worked with) people have various problems from autism, to aspergers, to ADHD, to depression, manic depression, bi-polar etc all of which give people problems 'interacting appropriately in social situations'. And the flip side is the problem for the rest of the group who are trying to interact with the person involved - frustration, anger, annoyance and often ostracizing the person involved ends up as the response to dealing with someone with mental health issues.

I could well imagine that a lot of people dealing with Matt Lloyd might find him 'weird', 'odd', 'difficult' - and I imagine that they were not very well tuned to dealing with him.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Really? So the whole Van den Brocke falling over in the ITT and Cadel's whole 2009 Tour imploding were just imaginary? Last time I checked Jurgen cried about nobody waiting for his dumb **** after he ran into his own team mate and the Belgian owner cracked the whip and the team was chastised for not waiting for the annointed one. Wake up and smell the roses, this has nothing to do with nationalism/patriotism. It has to do with business and supporting the best winner. It's sport. Cuddles doesn't get support? He gets as much as he use to, but is better off because the management aren't morons. The guys at BMC, Lelangue and co, listen to his needs. They don't demand.

I'll excuse your lunacy for this one time. Go and reread the accounts most forumists made last year regarding Evans. They loved his change of heart, his racing style and most notably his behaviour. He didn't seem like a tool anymore. In fact, he rode his **** off and had his best season ever. What led to this change? Belgians owner on a Belgian team being an idiot. Do you honestly think a rider being fired mid season before any GT has started is normal, least of all for non PED issues? It ain't. Never has been.

I gave a very bland and generic account. Who was Lloyd's room mate? Evans. That's one guy he hung out with. So what happens when Evans left? Read Gilbert's confession this week. He barely spoke to Lloyd, so why would anyone assume he was wanted or needed by other riders on the team? You wouldn't. If you get to the bottom line, OPL wanted something, told Lloyd another and you get a disagreement and finally someone breaks. Contract dispute leads to dismisal. Hardly rocket science. Was I specific? Hell no. But the writing is on the wall. Good luck filling in the blanks, OPL will have had their lawyers all over that, after all, few every heard the real reason behind Evans 2009 TdF flop. Most accounts are guesswork based on press releases by the OPL owner mouthing off. Same deal this time.

I do have to ask? Are all Europeans this daft or is this lack of perception in regards to behavioural semantics distributed and locked within certain European countries? To me this sounds like another Euro idiot manager who doesn't relate to other people and never realised opening their flapper might actually fix things. No shock there. This from the continent that brought two world wars within 30 years. Better, from one of the few countries in both wars that got spanked senseless and caught napping with their pants down. Sounds like the place to not be if you are a people person...at OPL. Think I'm wrong? Drop OPL a line and ask them what their contracts cover in a legal template. You'll hear nothing from them, other than sematics and PR mumbo jumbo. Would anyone like me to drop a list of the quality riders OPL have bled in the last 5 years. It includes the man who last week won Roubaix. I've known for sometime that asylum is run by the loons.

No. Gilbert couldn't win the WC last season and he sure did try. Just like people were saying last week about Cancellara. His main season goals ended without wins. Sure he was the strongest, but there is only so much of that one can take without actually steeping onto the podium. For crying out loud, Gilbert and Cancellara are in high demand because of their calibre. If Gilbert doesn't win one of the following; Amstel, LBL, or Fleche, then yeah, I'd say his front part of the season will be a total waste of time. When you don't win when you should, better, when others throw money at you to join them, you definitely explore your options.

People as highly motivated as Gilbert and Spartacus, with the skills to match their aspirations don't like coming second. Could you imagine what he could do on a team like Saxo, with AC? They'd be able to pick who wins which Classic. Right now, Gilbert is praying he doesn't get tag teamed, because lets face it, without Cadel there, he is left to fend for himself. Anyone here remember how potent Gilbert was in September/October 2009 with Evans helping him? 3 wins in 3 races, including Lombardie. He is by far the most talented rider at OPL. Maybe he should thank his lucky stars the Italians raided Katusha the other day. Perhaps one less team filled with strong rivals he may not have to contend with...I wouldn't count on it though. I'd wager Rodriguez and Kolobnev, with Ignatiev could easily win one of the 3 races I listed. Rodriguez almost did last year. If Gilbert doesn't win, he waits till September for another crack...that's a long wait because you couldn't win your seasonal goals. Long enough to get a nice contract offer somewhere else, where you will get more help.

I hope you watched the race today.... ;)

Hope Lloyd gets well, whatever it is he is suffering from.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
I hope you watched the race today.... ;)

Hope Lloyd gets well, whatever it is he is suffering from.

I'm in Australia. Not likely given what time of day it is on and my work/sleeping habits. Plus it's not on tv. Another negative reason for being an Australian cycling fan. I'll find a video online somewhere, cause I'd like to see the finish.

Good for Gilbert. Then again, reread my post. I never said he couldn't win or wouldn't, I suggested if Lotto didn't support him (given is he by far the most lethal rider this time of year) then I could see a very likely scenario in which a big national oriented team potentially risked losing their nations no.1 rider. It was a hypothetical. Note the other rider I mentioned in context with Gilbert was not an accident. I mentioned Rodriguez because after Gilbert, I rate him as the next most likely to make the podium (top 3) in all 3 races I listed. Guess Gilbert was right about Lotto being strong this past week. Am I shocked he beat Rodriguez? Nope. Am I shocked Rodriguez came second? Nope. On Wednesay a Spaniard will probably win Fleche. Shock horror? Nope, sometimes the writing really is on the wall. Don't fall down, puncture or bonk and you're at the front end of the peloton at the end, if you're the best for the parcours, odds are you win.

Does Gilbert have anything to do with Matty Lloyd? Not from what I can see. If Lloyd had issues with OPL demands, I don't think they had a single thing to do with Gilbert. After all, Gilbert said they'd raced together maybe 5 times.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I heard a story from a lotto guy that Matthew Lloyd was an egocentrical ******* who was completely off this world and thought he could win the Tour.
And he always expected the whole team to ride for him... according to that guy Lloyd is a complete loonatic with a low IQ

Not trying to be condescending...but that guy isn't on meds himself is he? The guy who told you this about Lloyd? Please tell us it wasn't Thomas Dekker. That sounds proposterous! Lloyd himself stated his goal this year is the Giro. If a who ain't on the cards, how about when? Because as I see it, Lloyd knows he isn't as good as Evans, not by a long shot, so how he thought he could win the Tour is beyond even the craziest line of thinking I can fathom.

But, reading this thread many have thought Lloyd's blogging resemles a man whacked out of his mind, rarely passing through a sane phase. A lunatic would deny reality. If Lloyd ends up in a psych ward, guess that will be an indicator. From the interviews I've seen he seems to be a deep thinker who somewhat lacks the refined vocabulary to relate and describe the intricacies of his own mind. Hence his dialogue sounds aloof and brooding, giving a strong hint that he could possibly be either nuts, or on some acid trip. I'd blame his education personally given we're the same age and from the same country. Too many sports, not enough books. Then again, he could be Bi-Polar. That illness manifests weird behaviour exhibiting huge peaks and troughs.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
On SBS yesterday Tomalaris said Lloyd was fired because he had been in several meetings with GreenEdge. Take that with a grain of salt though, Tomalaris is usually wrong.

Edit: I found this link shortly after my post.

For those who think Lloyd's blog talks in riddles, check out the ramblings of this writer.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/blog-article/123196/-There-s-something-about-Lloydy...

No need to guess with the Tan Man. I've known for a long time he's bonkers. He's good for a laugh though.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I'm in Australia. Not likely given what time of day it is on and my work/sleeping habits. Plus it's not on tv. Another negative reason for being an Australian cycling fan. I'll find a video online somewhere, cause I'd like to see the finish.Good for Gilbert. Then again, reread my post. I never said he couldn't win or wouldn't, I suggested if Lotto didn't support him .

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xi9oel_amstel-gold-closing-kilometres_sport There you go,
And they did support him, and very well too ;)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure where you get the bit about Tan being crazy. He made quite a good link in saying that it was probably due to non-participation in the Volta a Catalunya that instigated the sacking (and I'm sure there'd be other factors as well).

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Not sure where you get the bit about Tan being crazy. He made quite a good link in saying that it was probably due to non-participation in the Volta a Catalunya that instigated the sacking (and I'm sure there'd be other factors as well).

Agree with that.

Of all that garbage Tan has written in the past month, that article was actually pretty good.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
So what's your opinion after today? Still think OPL is too weak to support their captain? :rolleyes:

Well Gilbert did say the team deliberately didn't work but used Saxo and Leopard to do all the work!:p

Very impressed with Gilbert. He wins Liege this weekend I think there might be a nice thread starting up in the Clinic. I have my own theory on why some riders weren't as potent as they could have been but that has to do with their major season objectives and not firing too early. This is Gilbert's main goal. Makes sense he's in his absolute best form, which means he'll be very hard to beat cause he's that good

To those wondering about the Tan Man's article. I meant he's bonkers on 90% of other things he posts. This issue, Lloyd, the article was good. Nice of him to drag up the UCI legislation to support his view. But it did make the article an eyesore.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Well Gilbert did say the team deliberately didn't work but used Saxo and Leopard to do all the work!:p

Very impressed with Gilbert. He wins Liege this weekend I think there might be a nice thread starting up in the Clinic. I have my own theory on why some riders weren't as potent as they could have been but that has to do with their major season objectives and not firing too early. This is Gilbert's main goal. Makes sense he's in his absolute best form, which means he'll be very hard to beat cause he's that good

To those wondering about the Tan Man's article. I meant he's bonkers on 90% of other things he posts. This issue, Lloyd, the article was good. Nice of him to drag up the UCI legislation to support his view. But it did make the article an eyesore.

They did work in the final 20km or so, but yeah, they really did nothing to reel in that huge breakaway and that really helped them. That's how easy you can win a race if you're the best, but no one knows it(in this kind of race).

Give Gilbert's power to an unknown cyclist at LBL sunday and he'll win 100%.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have an update on the Matt Lloyd saga? The news that he won't be signing on to Greenedge has me deeply suspicious of the circumstances of his exit from OPL. We're yet to see a proper explanation from either party.

Matt's own website has not been updated since the bizarrely cryptic post from March.