• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Matt White stands down from all positions

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
the best reference for getting a job in cycling

Cant be long before Whitey is back in there doing what he does best.:rolleyes:

Garmin cannot be 'proud' of their hiring of a less than white character like 'Whitey' but then again not much is really white on Garmin.

Well if Johnny V can still be a director of a team I don't see why Matt White can't be involved in cycling in any capacity now that he's done his time. Or does he have to put up a Mister Mackey statement saying drugs are bad as well? :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Well if Johnny V can still be a director of a team I don't see why Matt White can't be involved in cycling in any capacity now that he's done his time. Or does he have to put up a Mister Mackey statement saying drugs are bad as well? :rolleyes:

It all stinks. But Whitey hardly done time. Dont remember JV doing time either.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
I'm hoping against better judgement this ****** never gets a job in cycling again.
Against better judgment is right. Whitey will be back in cycling before July. He's a natural at toeing the party line.
ultimobici said:
I wasn't referring to the Ventoux TT, merely pointing out that he had successes after Postal.

I doubt he was clean as a whistle in the time he was at CA, but it's unlikely he was doped to the same extent he was in USPS. There is an outside chance he was clean but we will never know.
We do know that he wasn't clean, actually. He was using "leftover EPO" from his USPS days and was chatting to Lance about Aranesp as late as 2001.

pmcg76 said:
You know what's funny is that none of those guys like Mercier seem particularly bitter at the guys who chose to dope. They were all faced with the same dilemma and understood the consequences of whatever decision they took. They might not have agreed with the decision of their team-mates but they at least understood why they made that decision and didn't really judge them on it.

Kimmage never seemed particularly bitter about the likes of Claveyrolat and Collotti or Kelly and Roche for that matter, it was more the system he was ****ed off at the time he published Rough Ride. It was only the reaction of his peers to the book that put him on his high horse.

Yes posters on here who have had no loss or contact with any of these guys get all bent out of shape about guys who made the wrong choice and allude to them as some sort of denomic beings.

There are things in everyday life where the 'everybody else is doing it, so why can't we' mantra takes precedent yet very few people get bent out of shape about it especially when it benefits themselves.
Even though I'm unimpressed by their strength of character, it's not so much them making the decision to dope I object to. It's the fact that the ones who made that choice are the ones running pro cycling today, and what's more, they're the ones preaching to the world about antidoping. Vaughters even claims to have dedicated his life to it, it's a ****ing joke.

goggalor said:
Against better judgment is right. Whitey will be back in cycling before July. He's a natural at toeing the party line.

We do know that he wasn't clean, actually. He was using "leftover EPO" from his USPS days and was chatting to Lance about Aranesp as late as 2001.

Even though I'm unimpressed by their strength of character, it's not so much them making the decision to dope I object to. It's the fact that the ones who made that choice are the ones running pro cycling today, and what's more, they're the ones preaching to the world about antidoping. Vaughters even claims to have dedicated his life to it, it's a ****ing joke.

Maybe, maybe not. You and plenty others seem to believe that people are incapable of change. As a real world example, I would like to point to Northern Ireland politics, a lot of the guys in positions of power now were members of terrorist organisation's responsible for some horrible crimes and killings in the bad old days, some of them even helped plan some of those horrible acts. If you had said 20 years ago these guys would be helping to run the country and sitting opposite their biggest enemies in power sharing government, you would have been laughed out of the place but it is happening. They did what they felt was necessary at the time but have now taken a different path. It's not perfect but its better than what went before.

Secondly, there is a misguided idea that everyone who enter's pro cycling was already using PEDs or prepared to use them once offered when in reality most probably would not have wanted to get involved in such activities but when faced with the reality of the situation, didn't see an alternative other than quit. I am sure most of those guys entering the sport would have preferred a situation where they were not faced with making such a decision. Henceforth is it really that hard to believe that some of them might like to work toward a situation where new-pros are not faced with those decisions regardless of what path they themselves chose.

Paul Kimmage is held up as some sort of saint but he also faced those same choices and he also gave in even if he wasn't in the same league(in doping terms) as JV or Matt White. It is never the black and white case that so many here try to paint it as. That's why I don't get all the bitterness towards dopers, especially those who entered the sport in the 90s/early 00s. I think there was a poll once held in the forum which asked what each poster would have done if faced with the same situation as the guys in the 90s, everyone on EPO and no test. I think most admitted they would likely have gone on the EPO but I would need to find the poll to be sure on this.

I am sure there are guys who doped, benefited from it but still feel regret and likewise there are undoubtedly guys who did the same but couldn't give a rat's *** about what they done and will continue to do so. I am sure there is a spectrum of guys involved in pro cycling with differing attitudes to doping but all I ever see here is certain posters trying to paint ever single doper as being the exact same with the exact same mentality which is silly really.

Like in life, things are neither just black or white.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
pmcg76 said:
I have done a bit of digging on AIS myself and the info I got was the exact same as what White stated, it was when they arrived in Europe that they were faced with doping. I received this info way before this latest White interview.

Martin Vinnicombe.
Mark French.

Just off the top of my head.

And have a quick look at who Heiko worked for during his career - he was the road team coach. Sorry, but I ain't buyin' AIS were squeaky clean.

Then have a look at the (1999) study the AIS did on Hct and take note of when they share their findings that 25% of weight lifters had Hct > 50% (claiming it was natural) but only 2% of netballers. Completely ignoring the fact that testosterone boosts Hgb. Puhlease. Then check out the current (for example) tribunal listing: http://www.asada.gov.au/rules_and_violations/tribunal_findings.html

ie nothing's changed.

AIS is not just cycling - you know that, right? The athletes all live / come together or share facilities. Please don't tell me cyclists don't talk to anyone outside cycling.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
pmcg76 said:
YKimmage never seemed particularly bitter about the likes of Claveyrolat and Collotti or Kelly and Roche for that matter, it was more the system he was ****ed off at the time he published Rough Ride. It was only the reaction of his peers to the book that put him on his high horse.

Kimmage admitted to doping. Would be pretty hypocritical to communicate bitterness towards others for doing the same thing, innit?

The AIS was a cesspit of doping.

Not just cyclists. Loads if sharing going on between athletes.

There were injection rooms. It wasn't hidden.

I wonder if Whitey told them about his recreational habits as well?

Stuey?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Paul Kimmage is held up as some sort of saint but he also faced those same choices and he also gave in even if he wasn't in the same league(in doping terms) as JV or Matt White. It is never the black and white case that so many here try to paint it as. That's why I don't get all the bitterness towards dopers, especially those who entered the sport in the 90s/early 00s. I think there was a poll once held in the forum which asked what each poster would have done if faced with the same situation as the guys in the 90s, everyone on EPO and no test. I think most admitted they would likely have gone on the EPO but I would need to find the poll to be sure on this.

I am sure there are guys who doped, benefited from it but still feel regret and likewise there are undoubtedly guys who did the same but couldn't give a rat's *** about what they done and will continue to do so. I am sure there is a spectrum of guys involved in pro cycling with differing attitudes to doping but all I ever see here is certain posters trying to paint ever single doper as being the exact same with the exact same mentality which is silly really.

Like in life, things are neither just black or white.

I think this is a very good post.

Up until recently I was in that group where I would call dopers all sorts but really without taking the environment they were in into account. I was one of those posters who voted in that poll that I may have doped in the USP surroundings and I think Zabriskie's evidence in the USADA report is very telling here. All the preconceptions and morals where he vowed to himself that he wouldn't dope due to his own experiences from his family, didn't stop him from caving into it when Del Moral and Johan Bruyneel put him under immense pressure to do so in a café in Girona. And I think Ashenden's opinion should be taken note of here as well. He also said he used to think of dopers like Hamilton and Landis as weak people but after reading their accounts he said he was more understanding of their situations and went on to say he may have done the same thing himself here.

You also bring up Kimmage interestingly as well and I think at times he should be a bit more understanding of the plight of a professional rider considering he was a pro himself. A prime example was him taking issue with Nico Roche congratulating Kreuziger(won AGR and links to Ferrari) where he wanted Roche to write a column about it in the Irish Independent. Yet Kimmage last week on RTE radio where he was discussing his career, said he wrote 2 columns for the Sunday Tribune in the 1988 Tour but told David Walsh he couldn't write about Delgado's positive in the last week because he would have got in big trouble for it if he were to do so.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
The AIS was a cesspit of doping.

Not just cyclists. Loads if sharing going on between athletes.

There were injection rooms. It wasn't hidden.

I wonder if Whitey told them about his recreational habits as well?

Stuey?
cycling and del monte was not canberra tho hog ;)

OkeyDoke, I will not delete the JV stuff this time, but it is now completely off topic and too close to the bone with insults (liars etc).

So the instruction is to stop it where it is (Dear Wiggo and pmcg76 especially), and get back onto topic...which is Matt White standing down.

cheers
bison

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:
OkeyDoke, I will not delete the JV stuff this time, but it is now completely off topic and too close to the bone with insults (liars etc).

So the instruction is to stop it where it is (Dear Wiggo and pmcg76 especially), and get back onto topic...which is Matt White standing down.

cheers
bison

Wait, so this is the general thread of Matt White standing down, if anyone is talk about any other piece of info related to Matt White even if related to this its to be avoid. So we are free to start independent threads on each factor relating to Matt White so they will not be discussed here?

My thread creating posts are waiting.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I hope Jerry Ryan reinstalls White as the director of the men at Greenedge, even if they obfuscate with his official position. i am willing to accept that expediency, jonny vee would appreciate this.

i dont see why white had to be prostrate and the martyr for cyclings ills. he is not the problem. i am not for his actions which i am sure will only change with him keeping his hands free and ring fenced with degrees of separation and plausible deniability. i hope he was paid in his 6 month forced vacation.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Matt White should be heading to the team that takes in those trobuled souls that have took a dark path but have now seen the light and found the yellow brick road.

What say you JV, when you have finished recounting your mid thirties fanatasies, can Whitey get a job in Aryglelandia again?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
My thoughts on the current state of the sport have changed quite a bit...but Sky and a few other things are huge anomalies that do not fit. It is hard to do a puzzle when a few big pieces do not seem to fit.
political influence having too great impact on the result of the race. tailoring race route after a the team principal meets with the race organiser? come on. stinks of corruption. the ASO have only themselves to blame.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Matt White should be heading to the team that takes in those trobuled souls that have took a dark path but have now seen the light and found the yellow brick road.

What say you JV, when you have finished recounting your mid thirties fanatasies, can Whitey can a job in Aryglelandia?
they did not end on good terms (re: professional terms). I am sure they get on ok as associates in the sport and can have some beers in july.

the lowe thing blew up in everyone's face

ElChingon said:
Wait, so this is the general thread of Matt White standing down, if anyone is talk about any other piece of info related to Matt White even if related to this its to be avoid. So we are free to start independent threads on each factor relating to Matt White so they will not be discussed here?

My thread creating posts are waiting.

No it was made quite clear, the thread is Matt White standing down. Sure there are corollaries which is fine. It is not however about Jonathon Vaughters, which the subsequent 30 posts were about and have now been shifted to the JV thread.

And it started specifically with two people bickering about JV, which derailed the thread when ten others including JV joined in the banter.

EDIT Thanks Hugh

sittingbison said:
No it was made quite clear, the thread is Matt White standing down. Sure there are corollaries which is fine. It is not however about Jonothon Vaughters, which the subsequent 30 posts were about and have now been shifted to the JV thread.

And it started specifically with two people bickering about JV, which derailed the thread when ten others including JV joined in the banter.

That would be Jonathan Vaughters, I know that because it's my name as well.