• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Matteo Jorgenson has now outclassed his peers from the Chambery-system

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jorgenson is probably a lot more expensive than Foss' current contract.

I wonder what Jumbo are gonna do with Kruijswijk.
If they haven't put pen to paper yet, I think Jumbo is happy that Jorgenson is probably not going to win the Tour de Romandie :)

I don't know what kind of salary Kruijswijk is on, he's been a 100% domestique for a few years now so he's probably not the biggest earner anymore.

He rides around Boise to Stanley Idaho so the answer to both is yes. You don't have much of a choice. The gravel hills are as steep as you can manage. Road hills are long and many can top out at 9,000' so it's a mixed bag. I haven't met him but those that have said he can do most anything for training.
I don't know this older MJ, but he was a really nice kid when I would see him on the trails several years ago.

If they haven't put pen to paper yet, I think Jumbo is happy that Jorgenson is probably not going to win the Tour de Romandie :)

I don't know what kind of salary Kruijswijk is on, he's been a 100% domestique for a few years now so he's probably not the biggest earner anymore.
I can't find when he last extended but he was at 1.5 M at one point. I don't know if he's taken a pay cut since, it's been fairly recently he was supposed to be the 3rd leader after all.

Gesink is another one who at one point probably was one of the top earners on the team, but my guess is Gesink was put much more clearly in a domestique role so I think he's already taken a paycut to stay. And he's retiring after this year.

Kruijswijk is end of contract, so I presume he either takes a paycut and moves down the pecking order or he just retires. Hard to see him move to a different team tbh, I don't think he's good enough anymore to get many opportunities elsewhere.

He's good and versatile enough to lead/co-lead a bunch of races, but the biggest of races he will probably have 1 or 2 riders better than him.

Would have liked to see him go to Trek, that makes a lot of sense to me, but then again, the money probably made a lot of sense to him.
If you see most people going to Jumbo take another leap, when you got the chance you do it. The money would be good, but maybe not the best team to be a leader in most of your big races. But if he gets even better you never know which chances he get.

Money and teammate gifts make wonders to attract young talent
Jumbo's competition for Jorgenson's signature were Ineos and UAE, both way richer teams. So no, the money probably wasn't the decisive factor.

UAE would be a choice for the money. There he'd always have to work for Pogacar in the races that matter. I think by now it's clear that Van Aert isn't at that level, and Jumbo need to play the numbers game. If you're Jorgenson you fancy your chances you can be one of those co-leaders alongside Van Aert.

Yes, I think he will try to stay as high up as possible, and if that doesn't work, try for a few stages instead.
If he’s not in the hunt for a podium, they’re no reason he can’t stay high in GC (top 10) and go for stages as long as his 3-week recovery is good.

The old notion of “shipping time” to go for GC I don’t think as valid in this era of battling titans. Even if he was somehow close to the big 2 in the overall and attacked them on a mountaintop finish stage, they’re not going to worry much about him ‘cause Those two know they will be far ahead of everyone else by the end of the tour. And for a climber at his level, I don’t think going in an early (Km 10) break is a good chance to win because I think both UAE and Jumbo will push to make stages hard in the mountains.

Reactions: firefly3323
If he’s not in the hunt for a podium, they’re no reason he can’t stay high in GC (top 10) and go for stages as long as his 3-week recovery is good.

The old notion of “shipping time” to go for GC I don’t think as valid in this era of battling titans. Even if he was somehow close to the big 2 in the overall and attacked them on a mountaintop finish stage, they’re not going to worry much about him ‘cause Those two know they will be far ahead of everyone else by the end of the tour. And for a climber at his level, I don’t think going in an early (Km 10) break is a good chance to win because I think both UAE and Jumbo will push to make stages hard in the mountains.
It's more about energy management than being unthreatening.

Reactions: Sciatic
The old notion of “shipping time” to go for GC I don’t think as valid in this era of battling titans. Even if he was somehow close to the big 2 in the overall and attacked them on a mountaintop finish stage, they’re not going to worry much about him ‘cause Those two know they will be far ahead of everyone else by the end of the tour.
There are other riders in the race besides the top 2. Some Yates brother and a French climber or two will be trying hard to defend 5th place.

Jorgenson is probably a lot more expensive than Foss' current contract.

I wonder what Jumbo are gonna do with Kruijswijk.
I assume he is on a much smaller contract nowadays than when he was a GT threat.

JV is a perfect team for Jorgensen. As I mentioned a little bit ago, he's 6-7 years younger than their main classic hopefuls, and Roglic isn't getting younger either. So they actually need to reload a bit despite still winning a ton of races. Better now than when it's too late. Look at QS for the perils of that...

He may get the Romandie podium or overall. That could give him more Tour responsibilities. His early season suggests he's on form so the Tour may be stretching those usual 3 week abilities unless he's allowed some rest. Movistar always wants points so it'd be a guess what he'd be doing until the Tour. TdF has depth this year so a top 3 would be a career maker. I'm not sure that can happen with Movistar and Mas. Being in better form than Mas is not confirmation Movistar would take care of him based on prior history. Maybe with Valverde's exit they are more professional?

I assume he is on a much smaller contract nowadays than when he was a GT threat.

JV is a perfect team for Jorgensen. As I mentioned a little bit ago, he's 6-7 years younger than their main classic hopefuls, and Roglic isn't getting younger either. So they actually need to reload a bit despite still winning a ton of races. Better now than when it's too late. Look at QS for the perils of that...
I don't think Kruijswijk is much cheaper now than at his peak. He last re-signed in early 2021, when he was still a GC ridef for the team.

If you see most people going to Jumbo take another leap, when you got the chance you do it. The money would be good, but maybe not the best team to be a leader in most of your big races. But if he gets even better you never know which chances he get.
Jumbo could point to Laporte as a reason to sign for them where they took a talented rider primarily to be a super domestique but gave them enough chances to pick up big wins himself.

Reactions: Didinho
I can't find when he last extended but he was at 1.5 M at one point. I don't know if he's taken a pay cut since, it's been fairly recently he was supposed to be the 3rd leader after all.

Gesink is another one who at one point probably was one of the top earners on the team, but my guess is Gesink was put much more clearly in a domestique role so I think he's already taken a paycut to stay. And he's retiring after this year.

Kruijswijk is end of contract, so I presume he either takes a paycut and moves down the pecking order or he just retires. Hard to see him move to a different team tbh, I don't think he's good enough anymore to get many opportunities elsewhere.
Well I didn't think he'd trade up this way and I'm not sure it's the best move for him. Smacks of the old Discovery days when they locked up as much talent as they could just to minimize competition.
I don't know a thing about the transaction but they'd probably pay him to fill one of the roles Rick is referring to. He has more upside based on just being a smarter rider; looking for experience. He hasn't been an unknown since the end of last year so his results are not lucky gifts. Hopefully he can rest up and get named to the final Tour roster. He and Sepp could do some damage.

Reactions: firefly3323
Well I didn't think he'd trade up this way and I'm not sure it's the best move for him. Smacks of the old Discovery days when they locked up as much talent as they could just to minimize competition.
I don't know a thing about the transaction but they'd probably pay him to fill one of the roles Rick is referring to. He has more upside based on just being a smarter rider; looking for experience. He hasn't been an unknown since the end of last year so his results are not lucky gifts. Hopefully he can rest up and get named to the final Tour roster. He and Sepp could do some damage.
MJ is too good to be a Gesink or SK at this point in their careers. He needs at minimum to be a Laporte -- alternate leader in big races, decoy for Wout, and leader in smaller races (not necessarily classics, but also weeklong stage races)

Yeah, it makes me understand why he wants to go to Jumbo. He is a poor man because he has to spend every dime he earns in order to perform. With Jumbo all the things he mentions he bought himself are available to him.

While the choice for Jumbo is a pretty obvious one, I don't get the hate that Movistar is getting for this. Do people think money grows on trees? Movistar got a ton of hate for taking some Saudi money but at the same time people are hating on them for not having a monster budget and thus not being able to pay for sending riders on altitude camps the whole year, customized TT stuff (looks like people don't realize how expensive custom TT extensions are for example), etc. Nutritionists ok, fair enough. Teams hould have that in 2023.

What I'm saying is that there's only a handfull of teams where you get these things. For 75% of the WT teams it's choosing between paying top dollars for some talent that can win or investing in all those things but not having the talent that can actually become a winner because of those investments.

Jorgensen is just trying to share how hard his living for his sport (what a real pro should do, you're not into this sports to get richt, you're trying to win), he's not trying to bash Movistar at all but people are making it out like he is.

Same story as with Jay Vine.

Last edited: