• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McGuire Admission

A

Anonymous

The olny bright spot here is McGuire seems to have been tormented for some time (my impression) about his cheating. Hopefully he can find a little peace and hopefully youngsters will see his anguish and make better decisions.

But I won't hold my breath.

Scott SoCal said:
The olny bright spot here is McGuire seems to have been tormented for some time (my impression) about his cheating. Hopefully he can find a little peace and hopefully youngsters will see his anguish and make better decisions.

i actually know him a little, by way of his son. a very nice,humble guy. he was no different than all the pros of his day. steroids were not banned in baseball
at that time, so you would be less than a pro to not enhance your training. i find
all the hand wringing after the fact silly. i wish him well and like Pete Rose, he belongs in the HOF.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
i actually know him a little, by way of his son. a very nice,humble guy. he was no different than all the pros of his day. steroids were not banned in baseball
at that time, so you would be less than a pro to not enhance your training. i find
all the hand wringing after the fact silly. i wish him well and like Pete Rose, he belongs in the HOF.

Why does he belong in the HOF when his achievements were the result of roids? Mentioning him in the same breath as Rose is not even worth commenting on.

As a sidenote, the fact that somebody can flat out refuse to answer during a congressional hearing and flat out lie in the same hearing like Palmero did, and the collective "media" gets its panties in a wad about a BJ (and impeachment hearing result) shows how screwed up this country is.

Let's get worked up over LA. He is nothing compared to McGuire. And, if he was still young and was traded to the hometown team most would welcome him with open arms.

usedtobefast said:

Clearly McGuire was just trying to keep up with the "arms race" that is PED use in pro sports. No way he will get into the Hall of Fame now nor does he belong there. How can it be acceptable to allow him in when guys from back in the early era didn't have or use drugs like he did?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:

He's most always come across as a decent guy in the media, apart from the refusal to answer to Congress. I don't like the timing of this, being only days after he received another huge rejection from the HOF voters. And that line about it being only for health/recovery reasons, yeah right. We're just THAT stupid.

what I didn't like from this admission is Bud Selig's comments. Here is the link:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...-statement-on-mark-mcgwire-s-steroid-use.aspx

Especially the part where it says:

“The use of steroids and amphetamines amongst today’s players has greatly subsided and is virtually non-existent as our testing results have shown. The so-called “steroid era” – a reference that is resented by the many players who played in that era and never touched the substances — is clearly a thing of the past, and Mark’s admission today is another step in the right direction.”

What now, is Pat McQuaid and Bud Selig related? Are all Sports leaders trying to hide their problems for more publicity and money?

This guy is a joke just as the UCI President.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Well the thing is if he doesn't get into the HoF, then guys like Clemens, Petite, A-Rod et all shouldn't get in to the HoF. If you prevent 1 from entering then all from the "Roid-Era" should be banned. But at a guess A-Rod will be a 1st timer when he's eligible for admittance and most will have forgotten that he did PED's.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
I believe steroid use outside of clear prescription medical use, was considered illegal at the time. I don't think baseball rules covered steroids in the same way they wouldn't have covered most illegal activity in practical terms.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

don't let the crocodile tears fool you ... mcguire wants a job as a hitting coach for larussa and the only way he can get that is to come clean. he already knows that he won't be charged with perjury for lying under oath to congress.

ed rader

A

Anonymous

Escarabajo said:
what I didn't like from this admission is Bud Selig's comments. Here is the link:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...-statement-on-mark-mcgwire-s-steroid-use.aspx

Especially the part where it says:

What now, is Pat McQuaid and Bud Selig related? Are all Sports leaders trying to hide their problems for more publicity and money?

This guy is a joke just as the UCI President.

+1

It's pretty easy to spot corruption these days as those that are corrupt are not even trying to hide it.

Escarabajo said:

It is not just Selig. I skimmed through a whole bunch of news reports and they all toed the line that the steroid era was over, as though a few tests would make doping impossible. These reports were no less delusional than the articles from ten years ago that denied the steroid problem. It is a nice demonstration of how the press is complicit in the sports doping problem.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:

His apology was for ****! He made excuses about “health” and his interview with Bob Costas shows how he in his mind thinks his hitting was not increased by doping. His anguish is only because he wants to have a job in baseball.

So funny how everyone will be willing to accept his apology and move along. He should be in the HOF???????????????? WTF sort of statement is that! Do you think Roger Maris’s widow thinks it is ok? I think her reaction was appropriate she thinks he is a cheat who has stolen from the game.

Scott SoCal said:

To think he is the least bit sorry is a joke. He did it as part of an act to get the batting coach job. He was a douche when he did it, a douche now and will always be a douche.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
shawnrohrbach said:
To think he is the least bit sorry is a joke. He did it as part of an act to get the batting coach job. He was a douche when he did it, a douche now and will always be a douche.

This is absolutely why he did it. Say it now get it out there and try and deal with it 24/7 until the Cardinals head to spring training. It will make reports look like badgers if they are still grilling him in mid March or April. He is trying to garner support or his hall of fame bid. Now that he says he was juiced the whole time he should not get in

A

Anonymous

shawnrohrbach said:

Yep. Just keep kicking the guy now that he's fessed up.

Since you are pretty sure of what's in the guy's heart why don't you explain why a multi-millionaire would take a bench-coach job and subject himself to wide spread public rebuke?

All for the Hall of Fame? I doubt it.

Oncearunner8 said:
His apology was for ****! He made excuses about “health” and his interview with Bob Costas shows how he in his mind thinks his hitting was not increased by doping. His anguish is only because he wants to have a job in baseball.

So funny how everyone will be willing to accept his apology and move along. He should be in the HOF???????????????? WTF sort of statement is that! Do you think Roger Maris’s widow thinks it is ok? I think her reaction was appropriate she thinks he is a cheat who has stolen from the game.

your argument does not hold water.

Oncearunner8 said:

His apology was just as legit as Basso's claim that he only "intended" to dope.
Does he have any less right to the HOF than anyone else in the "steroid era" (which incidently is not over yet)? How many homeruns would Maris have hit facing the juiced pitchers that McGuire, Sosa, Bonds etal. faced if he was clean? Was he (Maris) even clean, or was he using whatever was availible in his era?
To think that these few guys who have been outed or confessed were the only ones on the juice is the same as believing that the few bike racers who get busted every year are the only "bad apples".

Glad he confessed. But it was way overdue.

I don't think his numbers are quite enough to get into the HOF, roids or not. Like Palmero, he's on the bubble. But if he gets in, then Roger Maris finally gets in. Aroid, Clemens and Bonds have the numbers, but their roid use, plus combative arrogance, may keep them out a while.

Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson both belong, though Pete may have to wait until he's dead.

Regarding the oft repeated phrase that "Steroids were not illegal' in MLB:
scribe said:
I believe steroid use outside of clear prescription medical use, was considered illegal at the time. I don't think baseball rules covered steroids in the same way they wouldn't have covered most illegal activity in practical terms.
The term "steroids" was not used in the rules until recently, but the Mitchell Report made it very clear that under sporting rules of MLB during the time, using steroids was indeed breaking the rules and cheating, and to say they were "not illegal" is incorrect.

BroDeal said:
It is not just Selig. I skimmed through a whole bunch of news reports and they all toed the line that the steroid era was over, as though a few tests would make doping impossible. These reports were no less delusional than the articles from ten years ago that denied the steroid problem. It is a nice demonstration of how the press is complicit in the sports doping problem.
Just like their repeating that steroids weren't illegal. And the fans repeat the media, perpetuating it.

The whole nonsense MM said about how the sport is now clean is borne of ignorance. Manny Ramirez proved it last year steroids are still being used. and no one in their right mind would believe Manny was the one guy using them. The sport is very likely cleaner than it was 5-10 years ago, but like cycling, cleaner than dirty to the core doesn't mean clean.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

The term "steroids" was not used in the rules until recently, but the Mitchell Report made it very clear that under sporting rules of MLB during the time, using steroids was indeed breaking the rules and cheating, and to say they were "not illegal" is incorrect.
Didn't say they were not illegal, in fact, I am arguing the use of them was indeed illegal in the eyes of the law. Enforceable by MLB as 'against the rules' is a different matter entirely. Steroids were indeed tolerated in all professional sports until just about when McGuire smashed the home run record.

BroDeal said:

Yep. I think baseball and American sports in general are still in the beginning stages of coming to terms with the doping problem. It really only came to the forefront of National media importance with the BALCO scandal which (I think) became big news in 2004. Then we had Floyd Landis 2 years later and this made a lot of Americans realize that pro sports have drug issues.

But when we've got commissioners like Selig still trying to pretend that everything is fine and media making it easy for us to "turn the page" then there are only going to be more scandals. Cycling had the Festina affair in '98 and we said "things are going to be different now." Then Manzano almost dies due a bad blood transfusion and Puerto blows up the whole sport 8 years later.

Baseball is going to have a rocky road just like cycling has had if they want to fool themselves that everything is fine.

I have always been a big NFL fan and have always wondered how that sport manages to keep its nose clean. They bust 1 or 2 guys a year tops and it's always hush hush quiet; story breaks and no major columnists cover it. For example the Kansas City Chiefs top wide receiver was busted for diet drugs a few months ago and it was kept very hush hush:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/11/18/1163204/chiefs-wr-dwayne-bowe-my

Wide receivers want to get very lean and fast much like cyclists if anyone is wondering why he'd do a diet drug.

Anyway, I have to think that the reason the NFL appears "clean" is because it's awash in money - biggest pro sport in the biggest pro sports market, the USA. People are getting paid.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Didn't say they were not illegal, in fact, I am arguing the use of them was indeed illegal in the eyes of the law. Enforceable by MLB as 'against the rules' is a different matter entirely. Steroids were indeed tolerated in all professional sports until just about when McGuire smashed the home run record.

Steroids have been against the rules in Baseball for decades

in the'71 season. The policy said that baseball personnel must "comply with federal and state drug laws." Federal law at the time mandated that an appropriate prescription be obtained for the use of anabolic steroids.

In 91 this policy was reiterated and enahnaced

"The possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance by Major League players or personnel is strictly prohibited.... This prohibition applies to all illegal drugs ... including steroids or prescription drugs for which the individual in possession of the drug does not have a prescription."

in 97 this was enhanced further

any players violating the policy "risk permanent expulsion from the game," in addition to any penalty imposed by the player's club.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Glad he confessed. But it was way overdue.

I don't think his numbers are quite enough to get into the HOF, roids or not. Like Palmero, he's on the bubble. But if he gets in, then Roger Maris finally gets in. Aroid, Clemens and Bonds have the numbers, but their roid use, plus combative arrogance, may keep them out a while.

Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson both belong, though Pete may have to wait until he's dead.

Just like their repeating that steroids weren't illegal. And the fans repeat the media, perpetuating it.

The whole nonsense MM said about how the sport is now clean is borne of ignorance. Manny Ramirez proved it last year steroids are still being used. and no one in their right mind would believe Manny was the one guy using them. The sport is very likely cleaner than it was 5-10 years ago, but like cycling, cleaner than dirty to the core doesn't mean clean.

baseball would rather put the doping genie back in the bottle and who can really blame them? it's probably too late late for cycling to do the same and it's destroying the sport. as long most people believe the sport is clean
it really is....i don't see guys opting to clean chimneys because to win in cycling you have to cheat...heck even wiggins is keeping his mouth shut about doping these days :rolleyes:.

ed rader

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Saw the admission interview. What a load of BS. He was trying to tell us that he only used the drugs for health purposes and not as a performance enhancer. bullshyte

TRENDING THREADS