• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid's Marion Jones Defense

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
I posted a poll after the TDF that captured the sentiment of cyclingnews forumgoers. About 2/3 of the respondents said that they believe that cycling never had a doping problem, or that the problem is getting (more than just temporarily) better.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=14768

I find this astoundingly naive. We have the exact same corrupt regime in place today at the UCI as we had before the TDF. We also have the same conflicting interests (promote the sport/clean it up) at play as we did before.

It is clear to me that the only reason that this year's TDF was (likely) cleaner, was the new "plasticizer" test, and the more sensitive Clenbuterol test. The riders were clearly caught off guard, and hadn't enough time to adjust their doping programs. As we saw at the Vuelta, things are getting worse, not better.
I think you need to look at your maths mate.

60.95% voted for "It's getting better", only 5.71% voted for "Cycling doesn't have a significant doping problem." "Cycling doesn't have a significant doping problem." got 17.14% and "It's just as bad as ever." got 16.19%. How on earth you deduce that 2/3 say "they believe that cycling never had a doping problem, or that the problem is getting (more than just temporarily) better" is beyond me.

You cannot lump that 5.71% with any other category and still make sense.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
I think you need to look at your maths mate.

60.95% voted for "It's getting better", only 5.71% voted for "Cycling doesn't have a significant doping problem." "Cycling doesn't have a significant doping problem." got 17.14% and "It's just as bad as ever." got 16.19%. How on earth you deduce that 2/3 say "they believe that cycling never had a doping problem, or that the problem is getting (more than just temporarily) better" is beyond me.

You cannot lump that 5.71% with any other category and still make sense.

I said that about 2/3 said cycling never had a problem, or the problem is getting (more than temporaily) better. If you add the percentages for those two categories, you get 66.66%. 2/3 is 66.67%. This signifies that 2/3 of respondents believe that the UCI is doing a good job controlling doping.

My math is fine.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
sports are mostly a form of entertainment are they not? not an everyday concern for most people. basically, who cares if athletes use drugs?
everyone else does in some form or another.

First it is "no they don't dope".
Then it is "you can't prove it in a court".
Then it is "they all do it", or "thats what the public wants".

These are the arguments of a fan of the worst cheaters. This is strictly the pathology of denial.

Andynonomous said:
First it is "no they don't dope".
Then it is "you can't prove it in a court".
Then it is "they all do it", or "thats what the public wants".

These are the arguments of a fan of the worst cheaters. This is strictly the pathology of denial.

When cheating is ingrained into the system at all levels, is it even cheating any more? Isn't it just a disgusting parody of sporting fair play?

MarkvW said:
When cheating is ingrained into the system at all levels, is it even cheating any more? Isn't it just a disgusting parody of sporting fair play?

Uhm? It is a "disgusting parody of sporting fair play" because it is ingrained into the system. It is cheating, there is no either/or here.
Unless of course you are a doping appologist who thinks that it is OK because "they are all doing it"

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Uhm? It is a "disgusting parody of sporting fair play" because it is ingrained into the system. It is cheating, there is no either/or here.
Unless of course you are a doping appologist who thinks that it is OK because "they are all doing it"
It is indeed fan pathology. Should make a good dissertation topic in a psych program somewhere.

usedtobefast said:
sports are mostly a form of entertainment are they not? not an everyday concern for most people. basically, who cares if athletes use drugs?
everyone else does in some form or another.

Because people die using the drugs. Oh, well another healthy dead athlete. Next!

How about the medical costs of fixing a doped rider? I'm under the impression Joe Papp is/was generating a few medical bills due to doping complications because of some veiled comments in this forum. Since you don't seem to mind, we'll send the medical bills to you. Nice of you to pay that for him.

When will you start doping your kid to increase her performance at school and in a sport? Nothing wrong with doping, right?

Willful blindness to consequences doesn't make doping okay.