• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
Are posters out to get sniper banned?

Plenty of others post similar content that comes across more as obfuscating rather than discussion.

Heck one well known poster just posts nothing but derogatory snide uppity posts attacking posters yet nowt! There are others that constantly play the man and not the ball.
No, nobody is out to get sniper banned, at least in the past week anyway. All I can say is that you should report the comments that you see as violating forum policy.

Tried that. He never got banned. He is constant.

Did not see anything in snipers posts that imo warranted a ban, but then i am not a mod.

Not seen any sky bots get banned either! Not sure why......
Banning people is not the only thing that mods do, sometimes we warn members and sometimes we ban them, other times we simply don't feel that the comment warrants any action.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:

Plenty of others post similar content that comes across more as obfuscating rather than discussion.

Heck one well known poster just posts nothing but derogatory snide uppity posts attacking posters yet nowt! There are others that constantly play the man and not the ball.
No, nobody is out to get sniper banned, at least in the past week anyway. All I can say is that you should report the comments that you see as violating forum policy.

Did not see anything in snipers posts that imo warranted a ban, but then i am not a mod.

Banning people is not the only thing that mods do, sometimes we warn members and sometimes we ban them, other times we simply don't feel that the comment warrants any action.
i can vouch for Dan, he was relegated, no strikethru
<strikethru>relegated</strikethru> if the <strikethru> code existed on the forum.

I can vouch for Dan, he was delegated the , that was a malaprop before, with relegated, I meant to use delegated

Dan was delegated the worst role for the moderators, I have received about a dozen very pleasant personal messages warning me of my behaviour.

I can vouch for Dan.

if me vouchsafing for ferrous and alliterationz was worth a dime

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:

Wasn't attacking mods, more taking a pop at some who see Sniper's consistent questioning and probing as a problem. I like that he questions everything. Some just dont like their heroes questioned.

Cheers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Wasn't attacking mods, more taking a pop at some who see Sniper's consistent questioning and probing as a problem. I like that he questions everything. Some just dont like their heroes questioned.

Cheers

no one likes Emperor's clothes innit Ben.

which is why I figure I offended so many, my satire of cycling and cycling fandom... we cannot accept emperor's clothes fable, we luv our comfortable West place where we have tv n beer. and allow Armstrong to be our vicarious self.

and for that, no one ever asks themselves, have we used Armstrong? Yes, he achieved material wealth, and groupies on tap to give him sex and peccadilloes. But were we using Lance, is this relationship actually inverted. We only see 'money and lies'. Perhaps we lived out our humdrum existence in fantasy, and lance was part of this vicarious achievement. If we cant do it, someone else needs to do it. If it was not Lance, it would be someone else. I suppose, then has Nietzschean tangent. Lance had to do it, because we were unable to do it.

cat. let go the persecution. it doesn't serve you.

of course people rode la to where they needed to be. new century. sky is different but same. lost empire. true fans of the "sport" (already obsolescent when the franfkfurt school privileged it) have to suffer idly.

or reconfigure.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

aphronesis said:
I'd have to second that. Sniper is always highly civil and on topic in his interactions. Maybe some sensibilities are more delicate than others and dislike how he turns an argument.

I want to co-sign this. From what I've seen, Sniper has always been polite, even when others aren't so courteous to him/her. That should count for something.

Man, you guys are real suckers if you cannot see through snipers BS by now.

Lets present a few actual facts, sniper was being banned for trolling from the time they joined this forum. During one of those bans, sniper created a sockpuppet account and was permabanned.

Months later, for some reason sniper was allowed to return, the only poster ever allowed to return from a permaban in forum history afaik. Apparently sniper played his usual Manuel from Barcelona, 'I know nothing' claiming he didn't know about sockpuppetry and that it was a bannable offence :eek: . The mods fell for it. Yes, seriously.

So now most of the time, what sniper posts is misrepresentation, distortion and innumerable falsehoods presented as facts. Everytime someone corrects sniper on his many falsehoods, sniper plays along acting like they are taking on board these corrections and pretending to be interested, only to always default to then presenting the same falsehoods that have been already debunked. There is no actual genuine attempt at listening of other posters or engaging in actual debate, it is all for show to stay the right side of the mods and appear like they are being civil. It really is a transparent form of trolling, subtle, but transparent.

It reminds me of posters like Polish or Flicker who managed to stay the right side of the mods for a long time, only sniper is in favour of the prevailing opinions in the Clinic. You can bet, if sniper was presenting the same level of distortion and falsehoods against the majority opinion, they would have been banished from the forum ages ago.

Do people really think sniper believes half of what he himself posts. Not a chance.

No I don't. And I said that sniper's posts may lack in terms trad history format. Or bleed too much context. But others get overly excited by that leakage and sloppy causality. None of us can say how a "thing" went, but I'm entertained by the resistance to sniper's posts and the vehemence to his (sometimes) overconnection of the dots. As perceived.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Beech Mtn said:
aphronesis said:
I'd have to second that. Sniper is always highly civil and on topic in his interactions. Maybe some sensibilities are more delicate than others and dislike how he turns an argument.

I want to co-sign this. From what I've seen, Sniper has always been polite, even when others aren't so courteous to him/her. That should count for something.

...agreed wholeheartedly .....that being said the situation that led to his banning was complicated on several levels and when the balls in the air finally landed they produced a particularly unlucky and bad alignment....methinks if it were to be played over again it would have ended quite differently and we wouldn't be having this conversation....

Cheers

pmcg76 said:

Lets present a few actual facts, sniper was being banned for trolling from the time they joined this forum. During one of those bans, sniper created a sockpuppet account and was permabanned.

Months later, for some reason sniper was allowed to return, the only poster ever allowed to return from a permaban in forum history afaik. Apparently sniper played his usual Manuel from Barcelona, 'I know nothing' claiming he didn't know about sockpuppetry and that it was a bannable offence :eek: . The mods fell for it. Yes, seriously.

So now most of the time, what sniper posts is misrepresentation, distortion and innumerable falsehoods presented as facts. Everytime someone corrects sniper on his many falsehoods, sniper plays along acting like they are taking on board these corrections and pretending to be interested, only to always default to then presenting the same falsehoods that have been already debunked. There is no actual genuine attempt at listening of other posters or engaging in actual debate, it is all for show to stay the right side of the mods and appear like they are being civil. It really is a transparent form of trolling, subtle, but transparent.

It reminds me of posters like Polish or Flicker who managed to stay the right side of the mods for a long time, only sniper is in favour of the prevailing opinions in the Clinic. You can bet, if sniper was presenting the same level of distortion and falsehoods against the majority opinion, they would have been banished from the forum ages ago.

Do people really think sniper believes half of what he himself posts. Not a chance.

Thats one of the best posts I've seen on this forum. Especially the bolded - spot on!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:

The bitterness is huge.

The sport stinks with doping and cheating. Posters reflect that. That people want to believe there are some clean cyclists winning is laughable.

Comparing Sniper to trolls like Polish and Flickr is way off. Those two started out believing Armstrong was the greatest cyclist ever and then had to, over time as it became obvious to even a deaf blind mute, accept he doped so they just came in here to take the proverbial.

Sorry way off and ValvPiti giving it the thumbs up reinforces it.

Valv.Piti said:
pmcg76 said:

Thats one of the best posts I've seen on this forum. Especially the bolded - spot on!

I'll second that post too. That is sniper's MO to a tee.

Benotti69 said:
pmcg76 said:

The bitterness is huge.

The sport stinks with doping and cheating. Posters reflect that. That people want to believe there are some clean cyclists winning is laughable.

Comparing Sniper to trolls like Polish and Flickr is way off. Those two started out believing Armstrong was the greatest cyclist ever and then had to, over time as it became obvious to even a deaf blind mute, accept he doped so they just came in here to take the proverbial.

Sorry way off and ValvPiti giving it the thumbs up reinforces it.

Firstly, I think hardly anybody positing regularly in the Clinic believes that a lot of riders and especially winners are clean. Speaking for myself, I don't. Nevertheless it is no use for discussion purposes automatically assuming every rider and every winner is cheating in some way, shape or form. If that is the nil hypothesis (one sniper's favorites) all discussion ends before it begins.

Secondly, I think some people (me definitely amongst them) have a problem with sniper's MO and the lack of (scientific or any other) arguments that he presents as absolute truths (all stemming from his nil hypothesis). For example, now all of a sudden every winner is using a motor according to sniper (his new pet project). His excessive and often ridiculous connecting of (non-existing) dots irritates people and rightly so. His (acted) humbleness when his fallacies are pointed out is only exceeded by his stubbornness to keep trotting out the exact same point five post or five pages later on in the same thread after which the initial discussion starts all over again. And that is tiresome to say the least and derails and clogs threads no end.

Now, I don't profess to know whether this MO is a deliberate act of trolling or just plain ignorance combined with unbridled enthusiasm on his part, but given the fact that it has been pointed to him nicely and politely (and yes, also less nicely and politely) reinforces the notion that there is at least some deliberation and intent on sniper's part and that does warrant that he receives warnings from the mods and ultimately also bans if he does not heed the warnings, imho.

pmcg76 said:

Great Post!!
Agree with you 100%

I'm amazed at the amount of times the "usual suspects' keep getting banned for the same dumb sh!t over and over and again.....and then allowed to come back to the forum and keep doing the same dumb sh!t with a slight twist this time around as an attempt to stay "onside"

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
JackRabbitSlims said:
pmcg76 said:

Great Post!!
Agree with you 100%

I'm amazed at the amount of times the "usual suspects' keep getting banned for the same dumb **** over and over and again.....and then allowed to come back to the forum and keep doing the same dumb **** with a slight twist this time around as an attempt to stay "onside"

...big problem, it wasn't the same dumb ***, I was there behind the curtain, and you most definitely weren't....but please don't let that little detail stop you....after all, we really do need a giggle every once in a while don't we....

....have a nice day, and of course I mean that in a good way ( and that goes to everyone else presently dancing on sniper's grave )...

Cheers

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

aphronesis said:
No I don't. And I said that sniper's posts may lack in terms trad history format. Or bleed too much context. But others get overly excited by that leakage and sloppy causality. None of us can say how a "thing" went, but I'm entertained by the resistance to sniper's posts and the vehemence to his (sometimes) overconnection of the dots. As perceived.
The resistance on some parts is because they are sloppy. We all have seen how he is treated and how he treats others. Without a doubt maybe his style and endless posts about his belief gets on some's nerves but they fail in their own way because you can just ignore it.

Instead they want to label him and make themselves feel like the kings of the interwebz.

blutto said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
pmcg76 said:

Great Post!!
Agree with you 100%

I'm amazed at the amount of times the "usual suspects' keep getting banned for the same dumb **** over and over and again.....and then allowed to come back to the forum and keep doing the same dumb **** with a slight twist this time around as an attempt to stay "onside"

...big problem, it wasn't the same dumb ****, I was there behind the curtain, and you most definitely weren't....but please don't let that little detail stop you....after all, we really do need a giggle every once in a while don't we....

....have a nice day, and of course I mean that in a good way ( and that goes to everyone else presently dancing on sniper's grave )...

Cheers

No ones dancing on Snipers grave.....it's not like he / she has been Perma-Booted. Some are just taking the opportunity to give him / her the fingers behind his / her back while they take yet another wee seat on the naughty chair.....facing the wall. Childish isn't it??

OK - so I took a troll (please excuse the pun, quite appropriate though) through the "Member Suspensions" thread and found these gems.
Please enjoy:-

Sniper and Dr. Maserati have all been banned for one week for ignoring multiple mod warnings in the JV thread.

Sniper banned a week for trolling baiting

Sniper has been banned for a month for trolling and baiting.

Sniper has been banned one week for baiting/trolling and excessive complaining about a previous ban.
Sniper has been banned for 3 months for incessantly complaining about (previous) ban, abusing the report system and baiting/trolling.

Sniper chose to ignore mod warnings on numerous occasions and left us with no other choice but to implement a ban that he was given an opportunity to circumvent.

sniper is banned two weeks for trolling.

Sniper has been banned for a week for trolling/baiting

Sniper is banned for a week for off topic posting in the Froome data thread after being warned.

Sniper was banned for a week for trolling

Sniper was banned for 3 days for a personal attack

Sniper is banned for a week for posting off topic comments and derailing a thread.

Sniper has been banned for a week for trolling/baiting.

We all get a ban from time to time.....I see you almost got a Perma on the 2nd page there!! -thank YOU for the giggle.

Just to back up my statement from above.....same folks, same stuff eh ;)

I was gonna include PorkChop and his / her Feline friend - but that would be a MASSIVE post.

Hey, thanks for the well wishes.
You have a nice day also - :)

Gummi bears all round!!

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
JackRabbitSlims said:
blutto said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
pmcg76 said:

Great Post!!
Agree with you 100%

...big problem, it wasn't the same dumb ****, I was there behind the curtain, and you most definitely weren't....but please don't let that little detail stop you....after all, we really do need a giggle every once in a while don't we....

Cheers

No ones dancing on Snipers grave.....it's not like he / she has been Perma-Booted. Some are just taking the opportunity to give him / her the fingers behind his / her back while they take yet another wee seat on the naughty chair.....facing the wall. Childish isn't it??

OK - so I took a troll (please excuse the pun, quite appropriate though) through the "Member Suspensions" thread and found these gems.
Please enjoy:-

Sniper and Dr. Maserati have all been banned for one week for ignoring multiple mod warnings in the JV thread.

Sniper banned a week for trolling baiting

Sniper has been banned for a month for trolling and baiting.

Sniper has been banned one week for baiting/trolling and excessive complaining about a previous ban.
Sniper has been banned for 3 months for incessantly complaining about (previous) ban, abusing the report system and baiting/trolling.

Sniper chose to ignore mod warnings on numerous occasions and left us with no other choice but to implement a ban that he was given an opportunity to circumvent.

sniper is banned two weeks for trolling.

Sniper has been banned for a week for trolling/baiting

Sniper is banned for a week for off topic posting in the Froome data thread after being warned.

Sniper was banned for a week for trolling

Sniper was banned for 3 days for a personal attack

Sniper is banned for a week for posting off topic comments and derailing a thread.

Sniper has been banned for a week for trolling/baiting.

We all get a ban from time to time.....I see you almost got a Perma on the 2nd page there!! -thank YOU for the giggle.

Just to back up my statement from above.....same folks, same stuff eh ;)

I was gonna include PorkChop and his / her Feline friend - but that would be a MASSIVE post.

Hey, thanks for the well wishes.
You have a nice day also - :)

Gummi bears all round!!

....wow....real significant effort to assemble that post.....gotta give you a pat on the back for the effort and as long as I have your attention will also mention you'll ever get that time back....like its gone...

Cheers

pmcg76 said:

Greg LeMond. Could you be anymore feeble? You bearly participate in any threads but in minutia detail can recite the posting history of one member?

Perhaps gives us your views on mighty Sir Dave Brailsford? Because from where I'm standing it turns out Sniper has been correct about what he's posted on that front. You, not so much. In fact all your pro-Sky posts like really stupid in light of what we know now.

Nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.