• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Netserk said:
If post 361 was you asking on the behalf of airstream, then that is a violation of rule 15.

It wasn't, he was talking about his ban on the other forum and said that he didn't understand it, he was going to pm The Arbiter/Fermie. He is banned for trolling but if the post he says he's been banned for is really what he's been banned for then I don't think it's trolling. That's why I asked.

LaFlorecita said:
It wasn't, he was talking about his ban on the other forum and said that he didn't understand it, he was going to pm The Arbiter/Fermie. He is banned for trolling but if the post he says he's been banned for is really what he's been banned for then I don't think it's trolling. That's why I asked.
There isn't officially a specific post he is banned for. But the straw that broke the camel's back, was a recent post of his, posted in the E3 thread.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
There isn't officially a specific post he is banned for. But the straw that broke the camel's back, was a recent post of his, posted in the E3 thread.

Was it this one?

airstream said:
No... Only GT and some proper classics. Northern classics is a low cycling genre. :) I truly believe it exists mostly for fans from Benelux

A couple people accused him of trolling with this, but it sounds like he was just expressing his opinion.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
If post 361 was you asking on the behalf of airstream, then that is a violation of rule 15.
Rule 15 prohibits active members from circumventing a ban by posting messages on behalf of the banned member. The intent was to keep a banned member from participating in the forum during the ban by using a buddy by proxy, not to prohibit a member from asking a moderator the reason for the ban on behalf of the inactive member.

Netserk said:
Try to re-read what was posted.

airstream's one month ban is ridiculous no matter which way you spin it. That particular post was well within the rules, so can't have been the proverbial "straw," as you put it.

He also didn't "behave worse than usual," as you claim. The influx of new mods apparently makes it easier to get some members banned, though. You guys go by a majority vote, correct? I bet it wasn't a unanimous decision.

Ryo made a post about a month ago saying the only way to remove pat mcquaid from office is to threaten to ______ his family unless he resigns.(yes the k word)

he was given a warning and allowed to troll on for another 2 weeks.

Airstream is a troll at times but a harmless and comical one. Wonderlance was far more controversial and insulting.
His English is so poor that anyone can easily smack him down if he starts hitting the mark (which he never does anyway)

The post about the classics was funny and I (nor anyone else it seems) can see how anyone can feel flamed by it. Especially compared to the ryo one. Though they have the same ban.

if airstreams previous posts were so bad, woyldnt it have been easier to give him bans for those rather than wait and then ban him for something that breaks absolutely no rule ever made.

He put down the classics? So what. Didn't someone later in that thread put down the tour down under saying its not a good race despite wt status? What's the difference?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Try to re-read what was posted.

I re-read it several times, its still BS. Was no more trolling than having a signature that says Cancellara is overrated, a link to a Schleck ****take and quoting another member (i hope you got permission) saying BS three times.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Awful modding. Since no-one can work out what was so bad about Airstream's post, why don't you enlighten us Netserk? It's no more trolling than your sig is, as TheGame pointed out. If you want to ban him, ban yourself.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
This sort of nonsense is more or less guaranteed once forums start appointing regular users, who also wish to remain regular users involved in debates, as mods.

Bingo. It becomes a personal laundry list absent of any objectivity. essentially Mods become personality police. anyone remember 180mm crank? he was the godfather

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Well...seems that everyone (or most) agrees the mods screwed up on this one, and their silence means they probably know it too. It would be nice if, for once, the mods acknowledged their mistake and let Airstream come back. But of course that won't happen. :rolleyes:

So mods, any mod, are you going to continue to stay silent? Or actually be good mods and answer some of our questions?

Afrank said:
Well...seems that everyone (or most) agrees the mods screwed up on this one, and their silence means they probably know it too. It would be nice if, for once, the mods acknowledged their mistake and let Airstream come back. But of course that won't happen. :rolleyes:

So mods, any mod, are you going to continue to stay silent? Or actually be good mods and answer some of our questions?

They cant let airstream come back now. It would look like weakness.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
They cant let airstream come back now. It would look like weakness.

Is it better to look weak, or look like a ****er?

Seriously, most of the bans I have witnessed have been deserved, and most have only been a few days, maybe a week, this one is pathetic, and highlights the Hypocrisy of some of the staff.

Hypocrisy is the state of promoting or trying to enforce standards, attitudes, lifestyles, virtues, beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually hold

I'm happy to offer my 2c

Netserk explained airstream was baninated for repeated trolling, despite being warned to desist. Airstream was not baninated for that particular post, it was merely in the opinion of Netserk a culmination.

I won't divulge mod conversations, except to say there have been several discussions on this particular issue amongst many active mods. There is nothing arbitrary about the decision to baninate. You like mods are entitled to your opinion, and yours like mods will vary, remember though you are not privy to all the "facts" over a period of time.

As to the length of the banination, there are many examples of decisions being changed, opinions altered. Changing the length of a ban is not weakness, it shows strength of character, and if that occurs it will be interesting to see if any here applaud that action. Im not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.