• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As previously stated airstream was not banned for the last post. That post alone wouldn't have gotten anyone banned. He was banned for the accumulation of trolling and baiting. We as mods always prefer dialogue, but when a poster ignores the gentle hand, the next step is the firmer hand.

I hope that I never have to ban anyone again (including airstream). But that requires that problems can be solved with the gentle hand.

Parrot23 said:
Just in case you can't spell it's the logic of: G-R-O-U-P-T-H-I-N-K

btw, your nom de guerre wouldn't dream of wasting 17k posts on a cycling forum fulltime every day. The triviality would appall him.

I'm waiting to see 34k soon. Have phun (your last parag. is particularly phunny). :D

(TBH, I didn't see or parse all of AirStream's posts like a Kreminologist because I actually have a job and don't spend 24hrs a day on the forum like some; the few that I did see were good. Nuff said, otherwise I'll soon have 50k posts. No?)
yes, I have in the past spent too much of my time here and I have accumulated an embarrasing number of posts.

But what does this have to do with the discussion though.:confused:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sittingbison said:
Dr Maserati and Sniper got banned last week. Do they count as groupthink?

Asking this question should tell you how much Parrot is intent on disrupting the forum as the 2 you cited as an example are polar opposites in The Clinic.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
you're entitled to take an anti sky stance.................willbick is equally entitled

to take a pro sky stance

why? call them to be banned and insult them with petty name calling

lol, the only one dishing out the petty insults is willbick. still, imagine he'll soon be on another short break from the forum.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Asking this question should tell you how much Parrot is intent on disrupting the forum as the 2 you cited as an example are polar opposites in The Clinic.

Word of the day to further your education: non-sequitur.

(8k posts, and 7-8 a day--all in the clinic. Cycling fan, LOL?) :D

Have phun.

Parrot23 said:
Word of the day to further your education: non-sequitur.

(8k posts, and 7-8 a day--all in the clinic. Cycling fan, LOL?) :D

Have phun.
Have you discovered just today how to read other user's post count?
Let me tell you that there's no need to mention it every time, we all can see that by ourselves.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
If you or any other forum leader could articulate why airstream got banned for a month it'd be greatly appreciated. It's still unclear to me, despite your best(?) efforts. It still screams "thought police" to me. I get that some members report his posts all the time, because they don't like his opinions and posting style, but a large number of complaints or reported posts isn't sufficient reason to hand out a warning and/or ban, IMO. Especially when dealing with unpopular opinions. The people who complain could be hypocrites, also (as I suspect is often the case.)

I get the impression, also going by ferryman's (not so recent) comments on airstream's user profile, that if someone's posts get reported a lot, that's pretty much all it takes to give them a warning, and, eventually a ban, for "trolling."

Not at all (although I can't remember commenting on his user profile). It does put that poster on the radar though so they may be more closely monitored (hate that word but you know what I mean) as complaints are received and may result in a dialogue and may as a last resort end up with a ban.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Precisely, if the group dislikes the opinion expressed and complains enough, CN moderators are probably under relentless pressure to deal with the poster as if he or she were a troller.

The vast majority of the complaints will be against the free thinker. Anything the free thinker says is going to stand out like a sore thumb (="trolling", when it's not).

The mods will be presented with a 10:1 complaint ratio (10 against the free thinker; 1 against the groupthink).

That's why the former get banned. There are many examples recently (each was a freethinker--no surprise there).

I'm waiting to see someone who stands with the groupthink getting banned. I bet it will be a long wait. :D

Groupthinking?

I'm pretty sure airy had a few warnings after his/her suggestion that some rider should be shot in the head and get tortured.

How s/he got away with the trolling for so long, thank the mods for their patience.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
sittingbison said:
Dr Maserati and Sniper got banned last week. Do they count as groupthink?

That's a wee bit disingenuous - they were banned for, oddly, having a continuing go at each other - nothing to do with their (well known)views as such...

martinvickers said:
That's a wee bit disingenuous - they were banned for, oddly, having a continuing go at each other - nothing to do with their (well known)views as such...

and the suggestion there is a groupthink in the clinic or amongst mods is....???

The point was they were both banned.

The clinic is the last place I would presume a groupthink exists. Opinions are wide and varied, and not consistently allied amongst posters over several topics or even in the same topic over time.

Example: two posters despise Lance and appear unified, but one hates Bertie whilst the other loves him. However both hate UCI. Capiche?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
sittingbison said:
Well done for your insightful contribution Parrot23, it really adds to the current debate on airstream. Chapeau

Really makes me feel like contributing to the discussion

BTW this is the one thread that gives some leeway for members to express themselves.

Do you see the irony of complaining about people not contributing enough to the thread in whiny sarcastic posts which make no contribution to the thread?

Seriously rise above it, you're a mod. Or if you can't rise above it, hand in your badge, sheriff.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:
The clinic is the last place I would presume a groupthink exists.

What can one say about this place? This is funnier than, well,...

My incredulity grows daily at the antics of the cycling community. I'm beginning to think this is intrinsic.... I think I'm going to take up golf.

All I can do is laugh, guys.

:D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Parrot23 said:

My incredulity grows daily at the antics of the cycling community. I'm beginning to think this is intrinsic.... I think I'm going to take up golf.

So why are you still here? It is obvious that you dont take it seriously so well done for outing yourself as a troll.

Parrot23 said:

Good idea, you'll be right at home around the golfing crowd. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

humour

Benotti69 said:
So why are you still here? It is obvious that you dont take it seriously so well done for outing yourself as a troll.

there i was thinking? good on someone for having a sense of humour

..................others shout 'troll'

...............i'm sure that the buxom blonde at no.29 who is forever inviting

me in for tea is really a witch..............better watch my step

Mark L

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
there i was thinking? good on someone for having a sense of humour

..................others shout 'troll'

...............i'm sure that the buxom blonde at no.29 who is forever inviting

me in for tea is really a witch..............better watch my step

Mark L

Having a laugh is facade when your posts are full of abuse and baiting.

Plenty in here have a sense of humour, it is a prerequisite for cycling, but Parrot displays very little.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Or you will also be like him." (Proverbs 26:4).

Enjoy. I certainly do..... :D

tIJJsn0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.