• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Metabolism Research

This is interesting (IMO), just at face value, and because one of my Physiology professors posed a very similar idea to us in the early '90s. He was on to something, too bad he passed before other people proved him correct. More research to do for sure, but here we go...

Last edited:
An important thing to keep in mind about the amount of metabolism that CAN BE done, and WHAT IS done, is that it depends on several things:
  1. Having 'fuel' available in the body
  2. Having adequate intake of O2 to burn the fuel, and ability to exhale the exhaust
  3. Having adequate blood circulation to transport the fuel and O2 to the 'burn locations', and the 'exhaust' of waste products
  4. Having adequate 'burn locations' (muscles) to support the amount of metabolism

Reactions: jmdirt
I don't know if this is a real term, but I truly believe in metabolism modification. I have experimented with fasting both as a competitor and a chubby pizza packing pud..it has worked for me..and as far as calories needed to generate high level activity,through fasting I have found I can do a little more or same level of output w slightly less calories consumed. Fasting is definitely not for everyone

An important thing to keep in mind about the amount of metabolism that CAN BE done, and WHAT IS done, is that it depends on several things:
  1. Having 'fuel' available in the body
  2. Having adequate intake of O2 to burn the fuel, and ability to exhale the exhaust
  3. Having adequate blood circulation to transport the fuel and O2 to the 'burn locations', and the 'exhaust' of waste products
  4. Having adequate 'burn locations' (muscles) to support the amount of metabolism
Nail on the head regarding O2 delivery. I see this mistake all the time in the LCHF fad.... they conveniently forget that increasing maximal fat oxidation rate isn't going to magically improve your performance during an endurance event if you can't deliver more oxygen to extract an increased energy yield from both FAT and CHO. You'll just diminish CHO oxidation by about the same amount and there are studies which generally show this is what happens in practice. However, since fat is LESS efficient and you need more oxygen delivery to obtain the same rate of ATP supply, so its a slightly risky strategy to pursue unless your event is long or ultra-endurance ie: well outside duration of glycogen stores which can be several hours in really well trained endurance cyclists. Not to mention that glycogen synthesis can actually occur during exercise and thus attenuate glycogen depletion as long as your exogenous CHO sources are adequate.