• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Michal Kwiatkowski Thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
Salvarani said:
Valv.Piti said:
Think he is wasting his prime in TdF as a dom. Imagine the guy just stagehunting, he could win lots and different stages. Fortunately he was bad this year, I think he has been Sky's best domestique over a long period of time due to his incredible versaility. Ineos must pay him well!
His career really feels like a waste. Could have been and won so much more riding as a leader, and not just in a couple of races every year. The money for sure was good I guess, but not really leaving much of big mark behind him. Won a couple of big races, then just being an integral part of the Sky/Ineos-train. I wonder if he will regret that later or start to. If he is burnout now. He will be 30 next year. Maybe (probably?) he has had his peak as a rider.
He has sixteen wins since joining Ineos.
None at a Grand Tour. The guy could win the green/ciclamino jersey at the Vuelta or Giro, if he went there with the freedom to try and win intermediate stages and contest sprints. And if he had stayed at Quickstep, or a similar classics-focused team, he could well have done that by now.

His domestique work for Froome and G in the past couple of Tours has definitely been eye-catching, but using a former World Champ and multiple classic winner in that role just feels like a waste. The guys he competes with for those classics (Sagan, Alaf, Valverde, GVA, Matthews, Yates, etc etc) all get to wear numbers ending in 1 for 3 weeks. Even at last year’s Vuelta when he was considered a potential winner by some, he wore 145 with de la Cruz as Sky’s “official” leader.
 
Re:

Blanco said:
He really needs to change the team.
Read somewhere, apologies if it was by someone on here, that Sagan spent a lot of one TDF stage, trying to persuade him to come to Bora. They seem to have a mutual respect for each other. Maybe the idea was for him to do classics/races Sagan doesn't?
 
With Formolo leaving he'd be the leader for the hilly one day races.
Other than that I could see Lefevre trying to get him back (or trying to sign Moscon) with the money he'll save from not resigning Mas, Gilbert and Viviani.
 
Re: Re:

sprints n stones said:
Blanco said:
He really needs to change the team.
Read somewhere, apologies if it was by someone on here, that Sagan spent a lot of one TDF stage, trying to persuade him to come to Bora. They seem to have a mutual respect for each other. Maybe the idea was for him to do classics/races Sagan doesn't?
He's under contract through 2020, Ineos would want a rider in exchange probably along the lines of Rafal Majka.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
With Formolo leaving he'd be the leader for the hilly one day races.
Other than that I could see Lefevre trying to get him back (or trying to sign Moscon) with the money he'll save from not resigning Mas, Gilbert and Viviani.
He would certainly have to share leadership with Schachmann, as has Formolo this spring.
 
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
MatParker117 said:
Salvarani said:
Valv.Piti said:
Think he is wasting his prime in TdF as a dom. Imagine the guy just stagehunting, he could win lots and different stages. Fortunately he was bad this year, I think he has been Sky's best domestique over a long period of time due to his incredible versaility. Ineos must pay him well!
His career really feels like a waste. Could have been and won so much more riding as a leader, and not just in a couple of races every year. The money for sure was good I guess, but not really leaving much of big mark behind him. Won a couple of big races, then just being an integral part of the Sky/Ineos-train. I wonder if he will regret that later or start to. If he is burnout now. He will be 30 next year. Maybe (probably?) he has had his peak as a rider.
He has sixteen wins since joining Ineos.
None at a Grand Tour. The guy could win the green/ciclamino jersey at the Vuelta or Giro, if he went there with the freedom to try and win intermediate stages and contest sprints. And if he had stayed at Quickstep, or a similar classics-focused team, he could well have done that by now.

His domestique work for Froome and G in the past couple of Tours has definitely been eye-catching, but using a former World Champ and multiple classic winner in that role just feels like a waste. The guys he competes with for those classics (Sagan, Alaf, Valverde, GVA, Matthews, Yates, etc etc) all get to wear numbers ending in 1 for 3 weeks. Even at last year’s Vuelta when he was considered a potential winner by some, he wore 145 with de la Cruz as Sky’s “official” leader.
When he was with Quick-Step he was more interested in hanging on for a top 10 in the GC than trying to win stages at the Tour, considering also that last year he specifically asked the freedom to chase the GC at the Vuelta when Sky started without a clear leader I think that if he would have ridden for another team with freedom to do his race he would have continued in the way of an anonymous GC rider hanging for a minor placement even if I also think that he would have won more in one day races and weeklong stage races.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
With Formolo leaving he'd be the leader for the hilly one day races.
Other than that I could see Lefevre trying to get him back (or trying to sign Moscon) with the money he'll save from not resigning Mas, Gilbert and Viviani.
That money is spent on Alaphilippes wage raise. Furthermore, that would not be a wise choice as he'll probably play second fiddle to Alafpolak (their racing schedules would be almost carbon copies of each other).
 
Bet Lefevere is pretty happy that in 2015 he decided to go with Alaphilppe over Kwiatkowski. Back then it was obviously a matter of money. Paying a young talent or a former World Champion. But it panned out greatly for him in the end. And since both are kind of similar it wouldnt make any sense to reunite them now.
 
Re: Re:

sprints n stones said:
Blanco said:
He really needs to change the team.
Read somewhere, apologies if it was by someone on here, that Sagan spent a lot of one TDF stage, trying to persuade him to come to Bora. They seem to have a mutual respect for each other. Maybe the idea was for him to do classics/races Sagan doesn't?
And that would be ideal move. Him and Sagan would work perfectly I think.
 
Re:

Akuryo said:
Bet Lefevere is pretty happy that in 2015 he decided to go with Alaphilppe over Kwiatkowski. Back then it was obviously a matter of money. Paying a young talent or a former World Champion. But it panned out greatly for him in the end. And since both are kind of similar it wouldnt make any sense to reunite them now.
Lefevre always knows when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em, when to walk away, and when to run. Imagine if he had the budget his success deserved.
 
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
Akuryo said:
Bet Lefevere is pretty happy that in 2015 he decided to go with Alaphilppe over Kwiatkowski. Back then it was obviously a matter of money. Paying a young talent or a former World Champion. But it panned out greatly for him in the end. And since both are kind of similar it wouldnt make any sense to reunite them now.
Lefevre always knows when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em, when to walk away, and when to run. Imagine if he had the budget his success deserved.

The great mystery of cycling. How can Lefevere never have money despite the immense success of his team?
 
What a bummer, one of my favorite riders...no win this year. But when you sign up with Sky, or in general as a dom, it can happen. Few opportunities. Still a great champion and I bet ready to win more.
He is the leader or at least a protected rider in every race he enters except the Tour (and Dauphine), Sky has nothing to do with his poor season and was his decision to ride Pologne just after the Tour and was him again that asked to go for GC at the Vuelta and continued until Madrid despite cracking early and being too tired to do better than riding in the gruppetto for most of the race and that lead to the over tiredness that hampered this season.
 
He might benefit a reunion with Quickstep.
He played second fiddle to Alaphilippe in the french guys rookie season. Do you really think he has a better chance now?! They resigned Alaphilippe this year and he is arguably better than Kwiatkowski in every aspect of cycling. Better in the Ardennes since forever, both are decent but not world class time trialers and in 2019 Alaphilippe showed that he can even be better in the mountains. Where exactly would Kwiatkowski have more chances than at Ineos? If he'd ride for Quickstep he would have even less chances to ride for himself!
 
He played second fiddle to Alaphilippe in the french guys rookie season. Do you really think he has a better chance now?! They resigned Alaphilippe this year and he is arguably better than Kwiatkowski in every aspect of cycling. Better in the Ardennes since forever, both are decent but not world class time trialers and in 2019 Alaphilippe showed that he can even be better in the mountains. Where exactly would Kwiatkowski have more chances than at Ineos? If he'd ride for Quickstep he would have even less chances to ride for himself!
Better in every aspect?! I don't think so...
Kwiatkowski is a classy rider, one of the most versatile riders in the peloton, and when in top shape one of the very best. 2017 was not so long ago...
Alaphilippe is for sure punchier, and slightly faster (although Kwiat can beat him). He's also due to his TDF performance this year a bit stronger in the mountains, but I wouldn't say it's such a big difference.
On the other hand Kwiat is better roleur, he can handle cobbles and Flemish bergs really well, he's a better TT-er (despite Ala's Tour ITT win), and generally I would say he has a bigger engine.
They're both primarily one day riders, and I can't see that Alaphilippe has a superior record to Kwiatkowski in those races.
 
Reactions: SHAD0W93
He played second fiddle to Alaphilippe in the french guys rookie season. Do you really think he has a better chance now?! They resigned Alaphilippe this year and he is arguably better than Kwiatkowski in every aspect of cycling. Better in the Ardennes since forever, both are decent but not world class time trialers and in 2019 Alaphilippe showed that he can even be better in the mountains. Where exactly would Kwiatkowski have more chances than at Ineos? If he'd ride for Quickstep he would have even less chances to ride for himself!


Better in every aspect?! I don't think so...
Kwiatkowski is a classy rider, one of the most versatile riders in the peloton, and when in top shape one of the very best. 2017 was not so long ago...
Alaphilippe is for sure punchier, and slightly faster (although Kwiat can beat him). He's also due to his TDF performance this year a bit stronger in the mountains, but I wouldn't say it's such a big difference.
On the other hand Kwiat is better roleur, he can handle cobbles and Flemish bergs really well, he's a better TT-er (despite Ala's Tour ITT win), and generally I would say he has a bigger engine.
They're both primarily one day riders, and I can't see that Alaphilippe has a superior record to Kwiatkowski in those races.

Also Quckstep are known for a multi attack aproach to tactics so he could even be given the chance to win while riding alongside Ala and also could atleast peak for a time of year that suits him and not waste topform on TDF
 
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Re: Re:




The great mystery of cycling. How can Lefevere never have money despite the immense success of his team?
Lefevere's team has always had a very decent budget, around 5th richest in WT for most of the last decade.

He can't always re-sign all of his best riders because a lot of young riders develop quickly at Quick-Step, so the collective worth of the roster after 2-3 years is much bigger than at the point when they all signed their contracts and then they can't all fit into the budget of one team and someone has to get snatched by another team who didn't do that well with developing their own cyclists and need to spend money to strenghten themselves.

Lefevere has always been hiring big names like Cavendish, Kittel, Gilbert, Uran, Dan Martin and Tony Martin and be able to hang onto others like Boonen and Alaphilippe for years. You can't do that without a very healthy budget.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS