• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Microdosing/ Performance gains

To people in the know as regards blood doping etc.

I completely believe most of the top GC guys are blood doping and microdosing. My question though, is that when microdosing, by its very nature, does this mean the performance gains wouldn't be as great as the more aggressive doping which took place prior to the blood passport and the blood testing to detect homologous transfusions?

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:

I completely believe most of the top GC guys are blood doping and microdosing. My question though, is that when microdosing, by its very nature, does this mean the performance gains wouldn't be as great as the more aggressive doping which took place prior to the blood passport and the blood testing to detect homologous transfusions?
Well, if it's true that riders are microdosing but keeping below 50%, then obviously their performance won't be as good as maxing out at 60%. A difference of 10% haematocrit is going to give huge gains, both on the road and in recovery. Basically as long as you get enough oxygen to a muscle it'll never go into anaerobic process, and subsequently the muscle cells don't break down and die. There's little need for the muscle to recover and rebuild, so you're pretty much fresh as a daisy for the next day's stage. Hence the huge advantage of being jacked to the max.

The real question is how high are today's riders actually boosting, and what are they able to get away with.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:

The key reason riders use microdosing is to insure that the body continues to produce new cells when you are transfusing. If you don't your off score is suspect.