• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
calm down guys time will tell , for sure colombia will win a lot of gt with Quintana , with Lopez , and with Bernal that is almost sure , of course we have to see who will win more , that is really diffucult to predict

Re:

MikeTichondrius said:
This Vuelta sure is making me take notice of Lopez. Didn't realize how strong he was until now. Speaking from a neutral standpoint, Contador fans might have a new hero in the making to replace their guy. Sure is who he reminds me of. :)
Has he had a reputation of being very aggressive? I mean today was a rather obvious attack when Contador went since Lopez is the best climber, he was sitting in 10th and it was the only place to make the difference. I don't know myself.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
MikeTichondrius said:
This Vuelta sure is making me take notice of Lopez. Didn't realize how strong he was until now. Speaking from a neutral standpoint, Contador fans might have a new hero in the making to replace their guy. Sure is who he reminds me of. :)
Has he had a reputation of being very aggressive? I mean today was a rather obvious attack when Contador went since Lopez is the best climber, he was sitting in 10th and it was the only place to make the difference. I don't know myself.
He's aggressive when he needs to be. Hell, just a month or so ago he attacked in Austria with like 70k to go.

portugal11 said:
Escarabajo said:
portugal11 said:
Nairo always was a overrated climber, he never showed something similar to pre ban contador. Quintana us no longer capable of winning the tour because I think he didn't improve since 2015 (I think he regressed) but he can win a giro or a vuelta
Your usual glorious posts. Lol.

Don't worry, Quintana will be back. He is a natural!!
You have to respect different opinions... sick of these patriot fans.. this is not quintana appreciation thread
You were the one who started in the wrong thread.

Escarabajo said:
portugal11 said:
Escarabajo said:
portugal11 said:
Nairo always was a overrated climber, he never showed something similar to pre ban contador. Quintana us no longer capable of winning the tour because I think he didn't improve since 2015 (I think he regressed) but he can win a giro or a vuelta
Your usual glorious posts. Lol.

Don't worry, Quintana will be back. He is a natural!!
You have to respect different opinions... sick of these patriot fans.. this is not quintana appreciation thread
You were the one who started in the wrong thread.

:lol:
It's funny because it's true, but then again, it's portugal11 being portugal11.

Anyway, I'm jumping on the hype train. If he can hang on next week then I'm prepared to say: MAL may very well be a better GC contender than Quintana.

DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
MikeTichondrius said:
He's aggressive when he needs to be. Hell, just a month or so ago he attacked in Austria with like 70k to go.

Yes exactly. He went ballistic from range in both big mountain stages in the Osterreich Rundfahrt within the last few weeks. Maybe he will get more conservative when he starts competing seriously for GT wins, but right now he's remarkably attacking.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I can help my self, but have to join this hype :). For me the stage today has symbolism in it. Lopez winning the stage after attack together with Alberto has something in it. For me the symbolism is that it looks a bit like the king handed over the scepter to next chosen one (OK, we will see).

Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!

PS: Hope Lopez can handle it, from now he will be under much bigger pressure than he was in the past.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site

staubsauger said:
MatParker117 said:
telencefalus said:
of course Quintana was better at 23 , but just by a very small margin , what he did against Froome in 2013 is something from the ages , fantastic

Lose by four minutes?
Yep, Quintana is pretty overestimated because of that one stage win compared to Pantani 1994![/quo

Have to say that Pantani in 1994 arrived behind urugomov , do you remeber or you are too Young.
However this is mal thread and i say that i will never do the prediction that many did , how you can be sure that he will be better than Nairo , this is an opinion that could be very wrong , who knows

He has looked phenomenal the past few days -- sure looked like a future GT winner. Curious to see how will he do if he's riding from above (i.e., the leader after first mountain stage in a GT) rather than below. This Vuelta is also a little odd in that no one, even Froome, seems to have great form. And the parcours, while it looked interesting on paper, hasn't lived up to the hype. Dare I say it has been too hard and forced riders to conserve too much energy.

telencefalus said:
staubsauger said:
MatParker117 said:
telencefalus said:
of course Quintana was better at 23 , but just by a very small margin , what he did against Froome in 2013 is something from the ages , fantastic

Lose by four minutes?
Yep, Quintana is pretty overestimated because of that one stage win compared to Pantani 1994![/quo

Have to say that Pantani in 1994 arrived behind urugomov , do you remeber or you are too Young.
However this is mal thread and i say that i will never do the prediction that many did , how you can be sure that he will be better than Nairo , this is an opinion that could be very wrong , who knows
I had the 1994 Giro d'Italia in mind, where Pantani did beat a certain Miguel Indurain for second place.

Anyway, Ugrumov was second at the Giro d'Italia the year before, won the baby Giro and podiumed Course de la Paix. In fact he's been one of the most talented guys of the ninenties and in 1994 he was literally flying for well known reasons. Pantani still finished that Tour ahead of LeBlanc and Virenque who lost his podium spot to little Marco in the final mtt!

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site

staubsauger said:
telencefalus said:
staubsauger said:
MatParker117 said:
telencefalus said:

Lose by four minutes?

I had the 1994 Giro d'Italia in mind, where Pantani did beat a certain Miguel Indurain for second place.

Anyway, Ugrumov was second at the Giro d'Italia the year before, won the baby Giro and podiumed Course de la Paix. In fact he's been one of the most talented guys of the ninenties and in 1994 he was literally flying for well known reasons. Pantani still finished that Tour ahead of LeBlanc and Virenque who lost his podium spot to little Marco in the final mtt!

I have to remind you that in 1994 before giro d'italia Miguelon had a clinic issue so you can imagine

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
WELL what is impressive with MAL is the speed of his acceleration , really impressive but not as impressive as Froome ventoux attack in 2013, that was a moment i will never forget as many of us

In my opinion people jump far too easily to conclusions.

Lopez is riding a very good Vuelta. True. What else so spectacular has he done before to hype him so much now?
Maybe he will just disappear.

Comparing him to NQ is totally meaningless, at the moment.

DFA123 said:
huge said:

Lopez is riding a very good Vuelta. True. What else so spectacular has he done before to hype him so much now?

Is this a joke?

Damn serious.

What has he done till now?
Won the Tour of Suisse last year? Wow.
What about 2017?? One stage at Tour of Austria... spectacular

Tell me why I should think that he is on par with NQ?
At the moment (and I repeat it, at the moment) they are not even in the same league.

I'm not saying he can't become a great GT rider. Just saying that's way too early to make such a conclusion.
He is very young. He is definitely proving himself to be a strong rider. But let's not jump ahead of ourselves. Let's wait and see how he'll do.

huge said:
DFA123 said:
huge said:

Is this a joke?

Damn serious.

At the moment (and I repeat it, at the moment) they are not even in the same league.
He's 23 and has missed large chunks of the last years injured, yet still has nine pro wins already. Including the GC at Suisse and Milano Torino. He also won Tour de l'Avenir and now has two MTF wins in a Vuelta with very good competition - and is in contention for a podium.

You could argue he is not quite on a par with 2013 Quintana yet - although Quintana's palmares was probably slightly worse at the same age - but you certainly can compare the two. Lopez's Vuelta is eerily similar to Quintana's 2013 Tour in terms of being a spectacular breakthrough GT - even to the extent of them both upstaging and surpassing their own team leader.

huge said:
DFA123 said:
huge said:

Is this a joke?

Damn serious.

I'm not saying he can't become a great GT rider. Just saying that's way too early to make such a conclusion.
He is very young. He is definitely proving himself to be a strong rider. But let's not jump ahead of ourselves. Let's wait and see how he'll do.

Lopez has been amazing from a very young age, he was dominating in the junior ranks, riding minutes away on mountains from the competition. Winning Avenir when he was basically riding in Europe for the first time, winning Juventud in Colombia with a pretty bad preparation. He ofc had a lot of injuries (the stabbing when he was a 1st year u23 kept him out for a long time, knee injury at the beginning of his pro career, and his recent injuries after the crashes in last years Vuelta and on a training ride), but everything he has done has shown he is not a normal kid.
I do agree with you on that he is not a proven future GT winner yet and that its not certain yet that he will definately be better then NQ (though he certainly seems to have the potential with all he showed), however i strongly disagree with saying the he doesnt deserve any hype, and especially with the sentence what has he done till now? as he has done amazing things taking his injuries into account.