• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Personally, I'd like him to do Burgos, because he needs some more miles on his legs imo. That said, I was very 'happy' with his crash in Suisse, because he can go a long way in la Vuelta. Sort of a blessing in disguise.

Year after year we're seeing riders compete there solely on freshness. There are so many examples, just take last year: König (before Aramon Formigal), Talansky, Yates, De la Cruz. Going further back: Dumoulin was two climbs away from victory and Horner actually won the damn thing. No offense whatsoever, but most of those guys are inferior compared to Superman. He could really podium la Vuelta.

Hmmm it'll be his first GT (I don't count his Vuelta last year- 6 stages) and three other reasons stand against him.

Firstly Astana aren't that good at TTT's.
Secondly the route with Murito's does not suit him (I know he won MIlano-Torino but I think he's more suited to harder mountain stages). I'd be willing to be proved wrong.

Lastly, and the key point is the competition will be way too strong. Froome, Valverde, Chaves, A.Yates, Dumoulin, Nibali, (Contador, is he riding?), Kruisjwijk, Zakarin etc. Personally I'd even put Alaphillipe ahead of him if he rode.

As an extra thought, could Aru ride the Vuelta too?

Edit: Don't forget TJVG too :lol:

DG-kMOTXgAAS9mP.jpg

Are you ready?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
He was clearly the best. Another stage win and a top-5 should be very doable.

I think even the podium is still very likely. I mean, his TT is decent. And we have seen many riders are prone to bonking extremely hard. Adam Yates 9 minutes in arrears for example.

Pandera, Hazallanas, Sierra Nevada, Angliru ... so many potential leg-breakers left.

Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:
He was clearly the best. Another stage win and a top-5 should be very doable.

I think even the podium is still very likely. I mean, his TT is decent. And we have seen many riders are prone to bonking extremely hard. Adam Yates 9 minutes in arrears for example.

Pandera, Hazallanas, Sierra Nevada, Angliru ... so many potential leg-breakers left.
Yeah that would be great. He has a very decent chance of podium...

His TT is pretty meh if I'm honest. I reckon he's going to lose a minute at minimum to his rivals, especially since it's a flat one, which favors the likes of Kelderman, Zakarin e.g. He'll have to do it on the climbs. Which is certainly possible, as he isn't just one of the best climbers, but he's also one of the freshest in this thing. But his Davos TT in Suiza a year ago shouldn't be much of a reference, it was much tougher than the one we'll have in Longroño.

Code:
All of his results in (official) prologues and timetrials:
- 2nd in Österreich-Rundfahrt (0.8k) - the first 800m of Schlossberg, so a climbing prologue
- 141st in Suiza (6k) - flat prologue, only his second day of racing of the season, so not too much to read into, but 141st out of 176 is pretty bad

- 2nd in Suiza (16.8k) - tougher than advertised, not really comparable to Longroño
- 36th in Suiza (6.4k) - hillyish prologue in Baarn
- 64th in Romandia (15.1k) - hilly timetrial in Sion, lost 1:29 to Pinot
- 35th in Romandia (3.95k) - hillyish prologue in La Chaux-de-Fonds, lost 21 seconds to Izagirre
- 9th in Itzulia (16.5k) - Arrate, so a very, very tough timetrial
- 4th in National Championships (35.2k) - flat timetrial, lost 1:22 to Walter Vargas, 0:37 to Brayan Ramirez

- 46th in Suiza (38.4k) - hilly timetrial in Bern, lost 3 minutes to Dumoulin
- 99th in Suiza (5.1k) - flat prologue, lost 26 seconds to Dumoulin

- 36th in World Championships U23 (36.1k) - flat time trial, lost 2:37 to Campbell Flakemore
- 4th in National Championships U23 (25k) - flat (IIRC) time trial, lost 1:25 to Carlos Ramirez

He's good in tough timetrials, not so much in flat ones we'll have in Longroño.

The number and quality of top riders coming out of Boyaca is amazing!

Podium is definitely within reach. The Tour De Suisse is really the only meaningful time trial he's ridden in th last couple of years and he went great ... much better than most expected. He's a much more well rounded rider than, say, Chaves.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Code:
All of his results in (official) prologues and timetrials:
- 2nd in Österreich-Rundfahrt (0.8k) - the first 800m of Schlossberg, so a climbing prologue
- 141st in Suiza (6k) - flat prologue, only his second day of racing of the season, so not too much to read into, but 141st out of 176 is pretty bad

- 2nd in Suiza (16.8k) - tougher than advertised, not really comparable to Longroño
- 36th in Suiza (6.4k) - hillyish prologue in Baarn
- 64th in Romandia (15.1k) - hilly timetrial in Sion, lost 1:29 to Pinot
- 35th in Romandia (3.95k) - hillyish prologue in La Chaux-de-Fonds, lost 21 seconds to Izagirre
- 9th in Itzulia (16.5k) - Arrate, so a very, very tough timetrial
- 4th in National Championships (35.2k) - flat timetrial, lost 1:22 to Walter Vargas, 0:37 to Brayan Ramirez

- 46th in Suiza (38.4k) - hilly timetrial in Bern, lost 3 minutes to Dumoulin
- 99th in Suiza (5.1k) - flat prologue, lost 26 seconds to Dumoulin

- 36th in World Championships U23 (36.1k) - flat time trial, lost 2:37 to Campbell Flakemore
- 4th in National Championships U23 (25k) - flat (IIRC) time trial, lost 1:25 to Carlos Ramirez

He's good in tough timetrials, not so much in flat ones we'll have in Longroño.

But how much has he ridden those while being in the contention of something?

TRENDING THREADS