• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 20, 2021

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought the general theory on wind was tailwind is good for lone attackers and small groups as it costs less energy than riding into a headwind.

I don’t see how a fast race favours the sprinters at all.
Exactly. That article makes no sense. Even Sam Bennett thinks so:

“Every year the standard is getting so high and guys are going up the Poggio so quick. We’re going up the Poggio at the same speed as the flat.

I was just driving that direction today and it looked like a tailwind in that direction so it doesn’t really look that great for myself, but all I can do is pray for a bit of headwind and try to hang on.”

Where does Phil Gilbert attack to give himself any chance whatsoever of a historic win? Could he go on Cipressa and hold them off?

His best bet is to go long with MVdP if he can hang on to him. Mvdp will go on the Cipressa I think esp as he wants to be seen to make races entertaining and we know he thinks MSR is boring

Also there are lots that can go wrong for the favorites in 8 hours of racing so nothing is nailed down

SKA and Bling could surprise

or a sprinter like Bennett or Gaviria could definitely win from a chasing group over the Poggio

Last edited:
I have trouble seeing past vdP unless he gets dropped or he comes in with a large group at the finish. I think he is beatable by select people from a small group, but the strategies likely to be used will just play to his favor. Wait too long, his acceleration will catch them. Hammer along at full speed, he can sit on (and no one will want to tow him to the line).

I suspect he tries 1 x thermonuclear on the Poggio and will see if that's enough to crack loose, then relying on a small group sprint. His hope would be someone comes with him, otherwise he risks getting caught ... not sure he can hold everyone off (I don't think he has any team mates folks will be worried about towing?)

Guaranteed if Ala can go with him, he will, but I doubt he'll have a winning sprint. I think WvA would need to rely on this being a full speed sprint, and I'm sceptical either Ala or vdP will position themselves to lead him out.

Small chance if WvA can get a gap he does a Fabian.

It's remarkable that no one since Freire has won it more than once. Of the seven former winners today Van Aert, Alaphilippe and perhaps Démare are the most likely for a repeat victory. My heart wants Gilbert or Sagan to win to complete his list, but that's unlikely to happen. MvdP seems to have the best chance, because he's explosive and he has a good sprint. I don't want to see a big group sprint. A soloist or a small group would be best.

Reactions: johnymax