• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 23rd, 2019

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
search said:
in case anyone is interested in the star ratings from various newspapers today:

Gazzetta dello Sport
***** Alaphilippe, Viviani
**** Trentin, Ewan, Gaviria, Sagan
*** Valverde, KWiatkowski, Démare
** Nibali, GvA, Degenkolb, Gilbert, Cort
* Bettiol, Groenewegen, Colbrelli, Bennett, Dumoulin

Het Nieuwsblad
***** Alaphilippe
**** Ewan, Sagan
*** Viviani, Gaviria, Démare
** Cort, Gilbert, Trentin, Kwiatkowski
* Degenkolb, Naesen, van Avermaet, Bennett, Colbrelli

l'Équipe
***** Alaphilippe
**** Sagan, Kiwatkowski
*** Viviani, Gilbert
** Gaviria, Trentin, Valverde, van Avermaet, Nibali
* Ewan, Colbrelli, Bennett, Groenewegen, Degenkolb, Matthews, Démare

le Quotidien
***** Alaphilippe
**** Viviani, Bennett, Kwiatkowski, GvA, Groenewegen, Ewan, Gaviria, Sagan
*** Nibali, Stuyven, Degenkolb, Mohoric, Matthews, Kristoff, Démare
** Naesen, Cort, Gilbert, Gatto, Rowe, Valverde
* Bonifazio, Terpstra, Dumoulin, Langeveld, Modolo, Mezgec, Stybar, Laporte

there should be one in de Telegraaf as well, but I don't have access to that one
De Telegraaf

***** Alaphilippe, Kwiatkowski
**** Sagan, Viviani, Gaviria, Bennett
*** Groenewegen, Ewan, Degenkolb, Gilbert
**Van Avermaet, Trentin, Colbrelli, Démare
* Van Aert, Stuyven, Cort Nielsen, Nibali, Stybar, Bettiol, Kristoff

How can everybody have Alaphilippe as the main favourite?? Yes, he has been good this season, but he won't win a sprint against any of the other contenders, except maybe Greg, Kwiatkowski and Valverde.

Also, how can Le Quotidien have Modolo, Mezgec and Gatto (?!?!) on their list but not Trentin?

Big maybe if you ask me! I would give any of the mentioned three bigger chance than Ala to win that sprint after 290km.

I think giving Alaphilippe 5 stars is reasonable (in the same way Sagan used to get them over the past years). Great shape, great on the climbs, great decender, great sprint. Whether he'll win or not, is a different story of course, bu he is the one with the least questionmarks above his head.

I mean, Bennett has never even come close to making the finale, let alone winning the race, and Sagan has not done so in good form, how is he supposed to be the favorite off-shape?! Personally I can't think of anyone I'd rate higher than Alaphilippe.

Re:

search said:
I think giving Alaphilippe 5 stars is reasonable (in the same way Sagan used to get them over the past years). Great shape, great on the climbs, great decender, great sprint. Whether he'll win or not, is a different story of course, bu he is the one with the least questionmarks above his head.

I mean, Bennett has never even come close to making the finale, let alone winning the race, and Sagan has not done so in good form, how is he supposed to be the favorite off-shape?! Personally I can't think of anyone I'd rate higher than Alaphilippe.

The most probable scenario is a sprint. Alaphilippe would be lucky to be top 8 in a sprint. Ergo, he can't be the biggest favourite in my mind.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
search said:

The most probable scenario is a sprint. Alaphilippe would be lucky to be top 8 in a sprint. Ergo, he can't be the biggest favourite in my mind.
is it? Over the past 10 years or so there haven't been more winners from big sprints than small groups.

And I defnitely couldn't name a five star favorite from a sprint. Guys like Bennett, Viviana and Groenewegen are quick but completely unproven. If at all, it would would probably need to be Ewan, taken a mixture of speed, shape and past results into account.

And I wouldn't want to give Ewan five stars either

Re:

search said:

Yeah but they're having séances over on Twitter for Sagan, so that makes him the favorite now.

iIy9Ao8.png

It's MSR where too many factors will come into play eventually - races like Flèche is probably the extreme opposite - to take anyone's list of favorites too seriously, you can just throw any very good rider with some form depending on the scenario imagined. Only some super riders in excellent form may have default edge here, I don't think we have any this year, Ala yet to prove more in bossing sprints, and Sagan doesn't look ideal.

search said:
tobydawq said:
search said:

is it? Over the past 10 years or so there haven't been more winners from big sprints than small groups.

And I defnitely couldn't name a five star favorite from a sprint. Guys like Bennett, Viviana and Groenewegen are quick but completely unproven. If at all, it would would probably need to be Ewan, taken a mixture of speed, shape and past results into account.

And I wouldn't want to give Ewan five stars either

You may be right but I can't imagine Sagan not following Alaphilippe up and down the Poggio.

And if it's a headwind there like someone wrote, they aren't getting anywhere.

sir fly said:
RedheadDane said:
Okay, there Novo Nordisk. You may be one of the has to get someone in the break teams, but sending over half your riders might be overdoing it a little bit. :lol:
They've put all P's in front.

I see. Planet, Peron, Poli, and Phenttala…

Lequack said:
Yeah but they're having séances over on Twitter for Sagan, so that makes him the favorite now.

iIy9Ao8.png

If he suddenly disappears from the race, we'll know who to blame.

tobydawq said:
search said:

I think they put him as a 5-star because every imagined scenario. Ala probably at least is in contention for the win. And tbf he did beat Viviani, Sagan and Gaviria in a sprint. And is in great shape.

But yeah, if it is a bunch sprint and all the best sprinters are there. The chance is small that he will win.

Salvarani said:
tobydawq said:
search said:

I think they put him as a 5-star because every imagined scenario. Ala probably at least is in contention for the win. And tbf he did beat Viviani, Sagan and Gaviria in a sprint. And is in great shape.

But yeah, if it is a bunch sprint and all the best sprinters are there. The chance is small that he will win.

I just see Sagan beating Alaphilippe in every scenario. Especially because Alaphilippe probably won't play the Viviani card if they are away after the Poggio like he played the Gaviria card two years ago.

TRENDING THREADS