• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano-Torino 2021 (October 6th)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You are valverde biggest fan, maybe even his agent or wife, and you accuse me of living on 2013.

You can watch giro Sicilia highlights from last week on YouTube, I can send you the link to stage 4

Look, I don't know if you're joking or what, but to me, this post seems either like exceptionally poor form or just an extreme lack of self-insight.

You are probably the poster on the entire forum who has the most insane way of talking a specific rider up and then you accuse me of being Valverde's biggest fan (as if that had anything to do with the matter at hand) and thus miscrediting my point. I would appreciate it if you stopped doing that immediately.

Until 2013, Nibali was an exciting rider who was always on form and went for the win in practically every race he did. Then 2014 came along, he was invisible the entire spring, and suddenly he won the Tour. Since then he has always only had a few short periods each year where he has been really competitive.

Then he beat Valverde in the Tour of Sicily last week, and so what? How does that disprove what I said? I haven't said that he only concentrates on the Tour, but I have said that he is only really there for a short period of each year. And now that he is severely on the decline, that period seems even shorter. His win was impressive, he beat Valverde fair and square (obviously) and was the strongest rider in the race, but where has that level been all year? It seems pretty insane to claim that he is "fighting for wins all season".

And so what if I am a fan of Valverde? First off, I'm certainly not the biggest fan of his on this forum, and second, I don't really think my liking of him ever interferes with my judgment of what's going on in discussions on here, either. And if we need to go there (which I don't really think we do given that this discussion was not about Valverde at all until you threw him in my face); do you honestly think Valverde does not deliver year-round?

Look, I don't know if you're joking or what, but to me, this post seems either like exceptionally poor form or just an extreme lack of self-insight.

You are probably the poster on the entire forum who has the most insane way of talking a specific rider up and then you accuse me of being Valverde's biggest fan (as if that had anything to do with the matter at hand) and thus miscrediting my point. I would appreciate it if you stopped doing that immediately.

Until 2013, Nibali was an exciting rider who was always on form and went for the win in practically every race he did. Then 2014 came along, he was invisible the entire spring, and suddenly he won the Tour. Since then he has always only had a few short periods each year where he has been really competitive.

Then he beat Valverde in the Tour of Sicily last week, and so what? How does that disprove what I said? I haven't said that he only concentrates on the Tour, but I have said that he is only really there for a short period of each year. And now that he is severely on the decline, that period seems even shorter. His win was impressive, he beat Valverde fair and square (obviously) and was the strongest rider in the race, but where has that level been all year? It seems pretty insane to claim that he is "fighting for wins all season".

And so what if I am a fan of Valverde? First off, I'm certainly not the biggest fan of his on this forum, and second, I don't really think my liking of him ever interferes with my judgment of what's going on in discussions on here, either. And if we need to go there (which I don't really think we do given that this discussion was not about Valverde at all until you threw him in my face); do you honestly think Valverde does not deliver year-round?
Not the way Masnada does.

Just watched the last 20 km, Vansevenant should be forced to relearn how to ride a bicycle. Thankfully he and Froome are unlikely to ever do an uphill sprint together.

Roglic was unsurprisingly frisky but I was very impressed by Almeida. DQS is going to miss him next year.
Almeida jojo climbing as usual. One never knows how much he has until the finish. It's kind of fun. Eventually everyone is going to learn it's how it works and mark him for it. Without Rog, Pog and Bernal at the giro next year he should podium at the very least.

I think nobody has a clue how much of his Masnada-thing is serious.

I just realized this was the first time Pog & Rog were directly fighting for top places since...Basque Tour! Primoz was the strongest so congrats. Tadej may have felt yesterday's efforts so it was still a good performance (but being beaten on the finish by Almeida was a bit disappointing). Yates very very strong on the last climb - unfortunately for him he grilled everyone except Rogla.

What I really like about the Slovenians is that they race (and fight for victories) all year long: GTs, smaller stage-races, classics, Olympics. If absolutely the best guys do it others tend to follow. This is completely opposite to Armstrong for example (who totally focused on one race, which made his rivals do the same).
Yes, I think this was for Pogi still a form-building workout for the weekend's big race.

Almeida jojo climbing as usual. One never knows how much he has until the finish. It's kind of fun. Eventually everyone is going to learn it's how it works and mark him for it. Without Rog, Pog and Bernal at the giro next year he should podium at the very least.
And what if almeida continues to improve like improved from last year to this year?! Maybe he could win the giro and in the future fight with bernal, pogi and roglic in the grand tours.
Let's see what level almeida can achieve.