• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millar whinging on doping ban for Olympics!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The British cyclist David Millar believes he should be allowed to take part in next year's Olympics but admits he is unlikely to challenge the rule that prevents him doing so because of a doping ban.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/06/david-millar-cycling-olympics-drugs-ban

Its a deterrent David to try and stop people taking PEDs!!! Take it like a man and shout out about how athletes shouldn't dope instead of crying about bans. Should be applied to events too. Caught doping on the TdF, lifetime ban for the TdF. Caught doping for Paris Roubaix lifetime ban for PR, etc...

Benotti69 said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/06/david-millar-cycling-olympics-drugs-ban

Its a deterrent David to try and stop people taking PEDs!!! Take it like a man and shout out about how athletes shouldn't dope instead of crying about bans. Should be applied to events too. Caught doping on the TdF, lifetime ban for the TdF. Caught doping for Paris Roubaix lifetime ban for PR, etc...

That's all very nice, but was Millar caught doping at the Olympics? If not then your examples are way of the mark. Personally, I think it is ridiculous that if somebody served his ban they should still be banned from one particular event, irrespective at which event they were caught (or out-of comptetition for that matter).

Regards
GJ

He actually said it didn't bother him too much, and he wouldn't personally fight for it to be overturned, but if other athletes did then he wouldn't refuse a spot on the team.

Plus I agree with him that there shouldn't be life bans like this for first offences.

Ferminal said:
He actually said it didn't bother him too much, and he wouldn't personally fight for it to be overturned, but if other athletes did then he wouldn't refuse a spot on the team.

Plus I agree with him that there shouldn't be life bans like this for first offences.

And here I thought that he was a principled voice for the athletes while instead he wants to piggyback his way into a race that he shouldn't be in without ruining his image.

Typical Millar.

roundabout said:
And here I thought that he was a principled voice for the athletes while instead he wants to piggyback his way into a race that he shouldn't be in without ruining his image.

Typical Millar.

Hang on a second, what Ferminal described him saying is hardly unreasonable. He's not campaigning to be allowed into the Olympics but if the rules are changed he wouldn't say no? Is it that you want him to campaign or that you think he should voluntarily refuse to participate in a race he isn't banned in?

If he wants to ride the Olympics he should do it himself instead of hiding behind other people.

His 'justification' seems a bit on the weasily side. If not him (WADA athlete's council, Garmin, etc etc) then I don't know who else is at least 'seen' to have turned his image around for the ban to have any chance of being overturned.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
GJB123 said:
That's all very nice, but was Millar caught doping at the Olympics? If not then your examples are way of the mark. Personally, I think it is ridiculous that if somebody served his ban they should still be banned from one particular event, irrespective at which event they were caught (or out-of comptetition for that matter).

Regards
GJ

read my post again. i agree that an athlete should being banned for life for the event they tried to cheat in on top of a 4year ban. We are not living in an age of misinformation or lack of information, these athletes are willingly cheating.

He's upset at his not being able to compete in the Olympics in Uk and cash in on it. Dont dope then.

GJB123 said:

Regards
GJ

The mission of Olympic Spirit is "to build a peaceful and better world in the Olympic Spirit which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play - Olympic Spirit strives to inspire and motivate the youth of the world to be the best they can be through educational and entertaining interactive challenges. Olympic Spirit seeks to instill and develop the values and ideals of Olympism in those who visit and to promote tolerance and understanding in these increasingly troubled time in which we live, to make our world a more peaceful place."

-- doesn't sound like doping has anything to do with this... Dopers = cheaters -- ban them for life at the Olympics. Stop whinging David. ¿Do you really think Armstrong was clean? Come on, you know the truth.

Ferminal said:

First offence? Ok, he got caught... once... but how many times did he dope? How many times did he inject EPO. Just once? He cheated, and was cheating until he got caught, and probably would have cheated his whole career.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Quote the bit that supports your assertion fully, rather than the full article. Nice one!

DISTRICT 9

BANNED
Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

I like the Olympic ban and I like David Millar, if the rules say ban, follow the ban. David is just talking, and promoting his book anyway.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

The British cyclist David Millar believes he should be allowed to take part in next year's Olympics but admits he is unlikely to challenge the rule that prevents him doing so because of a doping ban.
Millar was suspended from professional cycling between 2004 and 2006 for taking the illegal blood booster erythropoietin. The 34-year-old, who is one of three British riders to secure stage victories in all three Grand Tours, has remained drug-free since his return and is now a keen advocate of making the sport clean through his role at the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Last year Millar won his battle to overturn a lifetime ban from the Commonwealth Games and clinched time-trial gold for Scotland in Delhi. As it stands, however, he will not have the chance to follow that victory up by competing for Team GB in next year's London Games as a British Olympic Association bylaw states that any British athlete to have failed a drugs test automatically receives a lifetime ban from competing at the Olympics.
Dwain Chambers, who tested positive for the illegal steroid tetrahydrogestrinone in 2004, has so far failed in his bid to overturn his lifetime Olympic ban, and Millar admits he is unlikely to lodge a similar protest despite conceding that he desperately wants to compete.
Asked whether he would consider challenging his lifetime ban, Millar replied: "No. I don't think so. I do think that the lifetime ban shouldn't exist, there's no doubt about that, but I don't know whether I am the person to go against it because I'm not sure if I want to risk all that negative energy sent my way if I attempt to do it. I'd love to compete for Team GB but I think the cons might outweigh the pros."

GotDropped said:
The mission of Olympic Spirit is "to build a peaceful and better world in the Olympic Spirit which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play - Olympic Spirit strives to inspire and motivate the youth of the world to be the best they can be through educational and entertaining interactive challenges. Olympic Spirit seeks to instill and develop the values and ideals of Olympism in those who visit and to promote tolerance and understanding in these increasingly troubled time in which we live, to make our world a more peaceful place."

-- doesn't sound like doping has anything to do with this... Dopers = cheaters -- ban them for life at the Olympics. Stop whinging David. ¿Do you really think Armstrong was clean? Come on, you know the truth.

Sure, the Olympics is all about participating in order to bring about a better world and not, I repeat NOT, about winning or achieving personal goals. You also still believe in fairy tales, I take it?

Regards
GJ

Benotti69 said:
read my post again. i agree that an athlete should being banned for life for the event they tried to cheat in on top of a 4year ban. We are not living in an age of misinformation or lack of information, these athletes are willingly cheating.

He's upset at his not being able to compete in the Olympics in Uk and cash in on it. Dont dope then.

I have read it again and again and you clearly state that a sportsman should be banned for life from the event in which he was found positive.

Is that a fair representation of your point of view?

If so, I repeat my question. Was David Millar found positive in the Olympics or did he confess to being positive in Olympics? I can't find it in any case. So if he wasn't found positive in the Olympics why, by your own logic, should he be banned from the Olympics?

Regards
GJ

EDIT: also when was the rule first introduced that a positive athlete could get a lifetime ban form the Olympics? Was that before or after Millar's doping confession?

GJB123 said:
Sure, the Olympics is all about participating in order to bring about a better world and not, I repeat NOT, about winning or achieving personal goals. You also still believe in fairy tales, I take it?

Regards
GJ

Who said it isn't about winning? That is the official Olympic mission. Would you like an ex child abuser working in a Kindergarden ten years later...? even if he was only caught on the "first offense".

David Millar was caught "with his hand in the cookie jar" as Armstrong put it. Red handed, by the police with used syringes tainted with the remains of EPO in his house. He didn't test positive. But he cheated. Has Millar told the whole truth...? of course he hasn't. Just the bits he was caught doing. He is a hypocrite. Until he comes clean AKA Landis/Hamilton I don't think he has done enough. He still has financial interests in cycling, he loves money more than his own sport.

GotDropped said:
Who said it isn't about winning? That is the official Olympic mission. Would you like an ex child abuser working in a Kindergarden ten years later...? even if he was only caught on the "first offense".

A straw man, moral relativism at it's best. I give up, you have me cornered with nowhere to go. What can one really say against such strong arguments and comparisons? :rolleyes:

Regards
GJ

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
David M. rings as false now as he ever did. Whether it's intentional is not for me to say. I find him either incredibly stupid or very slyly playing both ends against the middle.

GJB123 said:
A straw man, moral relativism at it's best. I give up, you have me cornered with nowhere to go. What can one really say against such strong arguments and comparisons? :rolleyes:

Regards
GJ

Don't insult my intelligence in regards to the straw man fallacy when you tried similar tactics in your response in regards to the Olympics not being about winning. You're right, you have no-where to go, the Olympics is all about fair play, something that a doper/ex doper/self admitted cheat shouldn't be a part of. Something he admitted to ONLY after getting caught red handed.

**or maybe he should have said the EPO was for his dog... or grandmother.

Wow, Mr. Millar is getting a lot off his chest. From CN article:

On LA:

I have always thought that he could have done more against doping. He was in a position to make a difference and to help his sport but I never saw any evidence of that.”

On Bert’s case:

Whether he's positive or negative, it's the system's fault for not dealing with it. There should be a two-week timeframe for when it is actually resolved…The science is now so advanced, and yet the judicial side of it is medieval and makes no sense.

I think he has a good point here, though he’s underestimating the complexity of some of the science if he thinks it can be resolved in two weeks.

On Bert:

Does anybody out there seriously doubt that Contador was riding clean in the Giro d'Italia that has just finished? You don't win the biggest races in the world with such clockwork regularity and comparative ease, and in such style, by not being the supreme talent and clean. In my experience the profile of a doper is always much more erratic and unpredictable.

I guess by that logic LA was clean for all seven of his TDF wins, including 1999. How many bad days did he have, cumulatively, in those seven? Two that I can remember, a mountain stage in 2000 or 2001, the last ITT in 2003. And those were bonks only by his standards, nothing remotely close to what Floyd, e.g., did on stage 16.

GotDropped said:
Don't insult my intelligence in regards to the straw man fallacy when you tried similar tactics in your response in regards to the Olympics not being about winning. You're right, you have no-where to go, the Olympics is all about fair play, something that a doper/ex doper/self admitted cheat shouldn't be a part of. Something he admitted to ONLY after getting caught red handed.

**or maybe he should have said the EPO was for his dog... or grandmother.

Oh boohoo! Quoting the Olympic mission statement and thinking it still about all the things it was when Pierre de Coubertin started the modern Olympics is about as disingenuous as you can get. The Olympics being about fair play, you must be joking. It is all about power and money for all (!) parties involved, with IOC-members being bribed, games being held in countries with incredible questionable regimes for the honor glory of the regime and the IOC, the IOC making loads of money from sponsoring and so on, and so on.

So why should all this be different for the athletes? Why should athletes be held to a higher moral standard than the IOC itself? The answer is that they shouldn't, Sure they shouldn't cheat and sure, they deserve punishment if they do, but draconian punishment like this coming from the IOC is laughable at best.

Regards
GJ

GJB123 said:
Oh boohoo! Quoting the Olympic mission statement and thinking it still about all the things it was when Pierre de Coubertin started the modern Olympics is about as disingenuous as you can get. The Olympics being about fair play, you must be joking. It is all about power and money for all (!) parties involved, with IOC-members being bribed, games being held in countries with incredible questionable regimes for the honor glory of the regime and the IOC, the IOC making loads of money from sponsoring and so on, and so on.

So why should all this be different for the athletes? Why should athletes be held to a higher moral standard than the IOC itself? The answer is that they shouldn't, Sure they shouldn't cheat and sure, they deserve punishment if they do, but draconian punishment like this coming from the IOC is laughable at best.

Regards
GJ

OK then... because everyone is corrupt and immoral, we should just allow doping, or at least turn a blind eye to doping...??? Who's attacking the straw man now?

I believe that doping and cheating should have nothing to do with the Olympics. You GJ, believe that dopers should be in the Olympics? Please let me know if I have miss understood you.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
GJB123 said:
EDIT: also when was the rule first introduced that a positive athlete could get a lifetime ban form the Olympics? Was that before or after Millar's doping confession?

It's been around for quite some time. It certainly pre-dates Millar being caught.

However, it is important to remember that this is only a British rule not an IOC rule. I'm not sure if any other country has it (maybe Canada).

The IOC just ban you from the next Olympics.

GotDropped said:
OK then... because everyone is corrupt and immoral, we should just allow doping, or at least turn a blind eye to doping...??? Who's attacking the straw man now?

I believe that doping and cheating should have nothing to do with the Olympics. You GJ, believe that dopers should be in the Olympics? Please let me know if I have miss understood you.

Yes, you have misunderstood me, not that I am surprised at that. I think that once they have served their ban they should be eligible for any competition including the Olympics.

Regards
GJ

Mambo95 said:
It's been around for quite some time. It certainly pre-dates Millar being caught.

However, it is important to remember that this is only a British rule not an IOC rule. I'm not sure if any other country has it (maybe Canada).

The IOC just ban you from the next Olympics.

Sitting out the next Olympics sounds a lot more reasonable to me. Do you have a link for that? I have tried but either my googling skills are seriously lacking or there is no obvious link for that. Not saying or suggesting that you're wrong in any way , just curious to read more about it.

Regards
GJ

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
GJB123 said:
Sitting out the next Olympics sounds a lot more reasonable to me. Do you have a link for that? I have tried but either my googling skills are seriously lacking or there is no obvious link for that. Not saying or suggesting that you're wrong in any way , just curious to read more about it.

Regards
GJ

Most of what I wrote is mentioned in this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/9469791.stm

TRENDING THREADS